Got let go

JR6G

So I got fired this new center manager at our center noticed my attendance was bad past couple weeks but little did he know I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and it’s supposed to go away in time - id literally have panic attacks on the way to work every single day and just could not work. I’d feel like walls were closing in on me and I’d have to turn around and immediately go home. I’d go into the warehouse not every day because of the condition. I desperately need insurance right now. My union steward said he’s going to “try” to get me a hearing on 23rd. What is a hearing? What should I be prepared for. This is a scary time to not have insurance. And I know what a lot of you are going to say - “should’ve been at work” I had perfect attendance for 3 years before all this happened, it’s an actual disorder but goes away with therapy. Any thoughts? Anybody been any any similar situations? Should I talk to more than one steward? Thank you for your serious answers and not bashing me, although I’m sure they’re going to come.

Scuderia

So I got fired this new center manager at our center noticed my attendance was bad past couple weeks but little did he know I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and it’s supposed to go away in time - id literally have panic attacks on the way to work every single day and just could not work. I’d feel like walls were closing in on me and I’d have to turn around and immediately go home. I’d go into the warehouse not every day because of the condition. I desperately need insurance right now. My union steward said he’s going to “try” to get me a hearing on 23rd. What is a hearing? What should I be prepared for. This is a scary time to not have insurance. And I know what a lot of you are going to say - “should’ve been at work” I had perfect attendance for 3 years before all this happened, it’s an actual disorder but goes away with therapy. Any thoughts? Anybody been any any similar situations? Should I talk to more than one steward? Thank you for your serious answers and not bashing me, although I’m sure they’re going to come.

have all your medical documents/records in order.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Any thoughts? Anybody been any any similar situations? Should I talk to more than one steward? Thank you for your serious answers and not bashing me, although I’m sure they’re going to come.

I'm not going to say you should've been at work. But, YOU SHOULD HAVE WENT TO WORK. Did you ever bother telling your supe how panicky you get? If you are that screwed up, you should have your doctor prescribe you time off which you could have used FMLA until this anxiety magically went away in time.

Didn't you start a thread some time back about being fired then? Yeah you did, Aug 2019. Maybe you should just find some other work or go out on some kind of disability.

Or stop trolling for sympathy.

Last edited:

Nah

You should call your business agent as well. I haven't met a steward yet that's trustworthy enough to leave my job in their hands.

And here's the hard truth: Show up for work every day from now on, no matter how anxious you are. The first one's always free, but you won't be so lucky next time. They can only get your job back for attendance issues so many times.

Indecisi0n

You can't just not go to work and expect to keep your job. Your past attendance record means nothing in this case. It's your current record that's the problem. If you couldn't have gone to work you need documentation on why. You should have filed for FMLA. That's neither here nor there at this point. Now you just have to wait for the center manager to drop it or a hearing.

vvv

I'm definitely trying to think of the right thing to say.
And it's certainly gonna be rude and brash.

Give me a little time and I'll come back with something special for you.

542thruNthru

friend...M...L...A

FMLA!

When you get your job back apply for FMLA.

How bad was the attendance issue?
Also like @Sudz said contact your local and speak with your business agent. Not that you shouldn't trust your steward but your BA will be handling your termination.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
friend...M...L...A

FMLA!

When you get your job back apply for FMLA.

How bad was the attendance issue?
Also like @Sudz said contact your local and speak with your business agent. Not that you shouldn't trust your steward but your BA will be handling your termination.
How many times you think the union or company is going to let him get fired and come back because he is panicky? Already been fired in August 2019. Maybe it's time for him to just find another job or live off the system. I hear anyone can get disability now days. My SIL got hers for PTSD after claiming her uncle touched her pink eye when she was 2 but just realized it at 50.

El Correcto

god is dead
I had debilitating panic attacks for 2 years of my employment. Hyperventilating to the point of passing out and feeling like I was dying.

Therapy felt awkward and pointless. Do you really want to sit in a room with a stranger that you are paying to listen to your problems? I didn’t go back after my first visit.
Psychiatrists on the other hand I do recommend. Find you a quack that will write you a script for some benzos. Even carrying them around will give you a since of control over when the next panic attack will randomly hit you. I recommend that as a band aide while developing a better lifestyle.

Avoid caffeine and stay hydrated, quit doing drugs if you’re on them, even marijuana. Eventually you’ll be able to recognize the signs and know when you’re hyperventilating, control your breathing and realize it’s all in your head.

I haven’t had a panic attack in years. Don’t even get anxious anymore. I would avoid any anti-depressants or psyche meds that aren’t benzos for anxiety.

542thruNthru

How many times you think the union or company is going to let him get fired and come back because he is panicky? Already been fired in August 2019. Maybe it's time for him to just find another job or live off the system. I hear anyone can get disability now days. My SIL got hers for PTSD after claiming her uncle touched her pink eye when she was 2 but just realized it at 50.

The union will keep defending him because that's what they do.

I agree though this guy is just taking advantage of the system and is probably making all this up to try and keep his job. Still it's UPS's problem. :)

Covid-20

Dunno if it's the same everywhere else, but I know of two guys who got fired for :censored2: attendance 3+ times and got their job back. Our shop steward is on point but I'm sure it's not the same everywhere else. Go talk to your B.A.

WannaBeFeeder

You should have talked to your boss as this was going told them the reason why you were calling in. A simple “ I’m not feeling good “ will get your ass tossed on the street

Fuzzy Brown

If you aren’t under a doctor’s care and have a diagnosis you should do that immediately.
Get a letter from the doctor with the diagnosis, this will give your business agent something to work with, if you don’t know who your business agent is find out and call him today.
Assuming the best and you get your job back file for FMLA that will protect you for absences but only for 12 weeks intermittently.
Good luck.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Not talking about the OP, but in general.

I've been at UPS a long time. Why is it we never saw these type of problems in the past? People went to work or quit.

Last edited: