Got let go

quad decade guy

FMLA. I don't think so. FMLA is for FAMILY type problems...not your medical problems. That's how it was explained to me when my Mom got sick and eventually died. It is so you can take care of whatever that means. It was instituted to protect folks from getting fired for just those reasons i.e. a hole bosses with no compassion or sympathy, you know like just about everyone there, not all but most. My direct mgr. was great by the way during my time of need "Go take of your Mom...call ups later". BTW-option days are taken first until exhausted(as explained to me). The OP's post doesn't really clarify if the company is aware of an ongoing medical/debilitating condition. Like "I've been diagnosed with anxiety whatever and I get anxious and whatever..." Or something like "I have cancer and will be out for a few days regularly for treatment..." This type of thing is what disability is for. I'd bet this is all plowed ground with mgt. and the local. Now, you just can't leave the job without consequences. Not blaming anyone, they are counting on you. So, all that said some sort of agreement will eventually be reached. I've seen these types of ongoing situations. The person eventually gets fired or fades away(somehow). The person is usually chronically absent. Again not blaming anyone but have seen it for decades. These folks always seem to work just enough to qualify for benefits, retirement and vacations...always just enough. Ups is a job that requires healthy, energetic bodies(notice I didn't say smart) to report to work everyday, otherwise they eventually fade away. Having a mental condition/disability makes life challenging not to mention working at a place like UPS.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
So I got fired this new center manager at our center noticed my attendance was bad past couple weeks but little did he know I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and it’s supposed to go away in time - id literally have panic attacks on the way to work every single day and just could not work. I’d feel like walls were closing in on me and I’d have to turn around and immediately go home. I’d go into the warehouse not every day because of the condition. I desperately need insurance right now. My union steward said he’s going to “try” to get me a hearing on 23rd. What is a hearing? What should I be prepared for. This is a scary time to not have insurance. And I know what a lot of you are going to say - “should’ve been at work” I had perfect attendance for 3 years before all this happened, it’s an actual disorder but goes away with therapy. Any thoughts? Anybody been any any similar situations? Should I talk to more than one steward? Thank you for your serious answers and not bashing me, although I’m sure they’re going to come.
5F1F9E0A-0402-4B48-8678-1F8782534373.gif

WannaBeFeeder

FMLA. I don't think so. FMLA is for FAMILY type problems...not your medical problems. That's how it was explained to me when my Mom got sick and eventually died. It is so you can take care of whatever that means. It was instituted to protect folks from getting fired for just those reasons i.e. a hole bosses with no compassion or sympathy, you know like just about everyone there, not all but most. My direct mgr. was great by the way during my time of need "Go take of your Mom...call ups later". BTW-option days are taken first until exhausted(as explained to me). The OP's post doesn't really clarify if the company is aware of an ongoing medical/debilitating condition. Like "I've been diagnosed with anxiety whatever and I get anxious and whatever..." Or something like "I have cancer and will be out for a few days regularly for treatment..." This type of thing is what disability is for. I'd bet this is all plowed ground with mgt. and the local. Now, you just can't leave the job without consequences. Not blaming anyone, they are counting on you. So, all that said some sort of agreement will eventually be reached. I've seen these types of ongoing situations. The person eventually gets fired or fades away(somehow). The person is usually chronically absent. Again not blaming anyone but have seen it for decades. These folks always seem to work just enough to qualify for benefits, retirement and vacations...always just enough. Ups is a job that requires healthy, energetic bodies(notice I didn't say smart) to report to work everyday, otherwise they eventually fade away. Having a mental condition/disability makes life challenging not to mention working at a place like UPS.
But you CAN get FMLA for an anxiety disorder

MassWineGuy

You can't just not go to work and expect to keep your job. Your past attendance record means nothing in this case. It's your current record that's the problem. If you couldn't have gone to work you need documentation on why. You should have filed for FMLA. That's neither here nor there at this point. Now you just have to wait for the center manager to drop it or a hearing.

Exactly. You never thought to tell your management what was going on? I’m not familiar with the union policies. But I doubt that you have any hope of keeping your job.

quad decade guy

But you CAN get FMLA for an anxiety disorder
Your statement directly contradicts what I have been told. Are you sure it's FMLA? You could get FMLA to care for a FAMILY member(that has a problem) perhaps. FMLA and disability get thrown together willy nilly. They are not the same, at least here. Again, one is for FAMILY the other is for individuals. See?

quad decade guy

Not talking about the OP, but in general.

I've been at UPS a long time. Why is it we never saw these type of problems in the past? People went to work or quit.

Not my observation in my long time here. We've always had these co-worker types. "Hey where's so and so?" "Haven't seen him in awhile..." "Yeah, heard he went off the deep end" "He's on disability". On and on. We had 2 25 and 30 year guys just "retire" after months and even years of FMLA/disability or just plain not coming to work and another gaming the "system" for years. Or others signing up and qualifying for feeders as an example and working the system to not come to work and work at night, that type of thing.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

MattM

1. Birth of a child;
2. Adoption, or placement for foster care;
3. To care for a spouse, child or parent of the employee due to a serious health condition;
4. A serious health condition of the employee.
———-

Other than having to qualify hours wise, FMLA should have been an option. But that’s for extended periods of consecutive time, not once a week. It’s more to keep your seniority than anything else. And in my region, it’s unpaid.

Disability is a bit harder if the issues weren’t created at work

DOCTORS NOTE. DOCTORS NOTE. DOCTORS NOTE.
Remember that next time. And talk to your supervisors or higher up managers about your issues as they are happening

did you happen to have proper progression discipline? They shouldn’t be able to just let you go without suspensions and working terminations, unless you no called no showed for 72 hours and got a call about failing to report to work, which could be an instant termination

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
FMLA. I don't think so. FMLA is for FAMILY type problems...not your medical problems.

What ?

You couldn't be anymore wrong.

• a serious health condition that makes the employee unable to perform the essential functions of his or her job;

Family and Medical Leave Act | U.S. Department of Labor

That's how it was explained to me

Your statement directly contradicts what I have been told.

It's been a federal law, since 1993.

You should stop listening to the company....

-Bug-

JJinVA

So I got fired this new center manager at our center noticed my attendance was bad past couple weeks but little did he know I’ve been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and it’s supposed to go away in time - id literally have panic attacks on the way to work every single day and just could not work. I’d feel like walls were closing in on me and I’d have to turn around and immediately go home. I’d go into the warehouse not every day because of the condition. I desperately need insurance right now. My union steward said he’s going to “try” to get me a hearing on 23rd. What is a hearing? What should I be prepared for. This is a scary time to not have insurance. And I know what a lot of you are going to say - “should’ve been at work” I had perfect attendance for 3 years before all this happened, it’s an actual disorder but goes away with therapy. Any thoughts? Anybody been any any similar situations? Should I talk to more than one steward? Thank you for your serious answers and not bashing me, although I’m sure they’re going to come.

I had anxiety issues when I was younger. Too much thinking, too much drinking, mountains of stress and felt like a cloud followed me around. I know it sounds cliché but, positive thinking produces positive results. And I dont mean naive thinking like, "Everything is going to be great today!", only to be let down when its a fairly s___ty day. I mean thinking along the lines of, "I'm right where I need to be in life and everything is going as well as it can" kind of thinking. They say negative thinking is the real definition of insanity, and positive thinking is the only cure.

Plus stay away from drugs and soft drinks/abundance of sugars. Eat healthier. People always write off their diet as not having anything to do with their mental state but the reality is, food is like large medical pills that you take in and your body uses. If you are taking in grease pills, your body and mind arent going to function as well. Daily multi-vitamins and exercise are great antidepressants.

As far as getting your job back, I know the union has helped a few of our guys get their jobs back even when they werent members yet. Im sure its all relative to your work history and if theyd have a leg to stand on representing you

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day

False

542thruNthru

1. Birth of a child;
3. To care for a spouse, child or parent of the employee due to a serious health condition;
———-

Other than having to qualify hours wise, FMLA should have been an option. But that’s for extended periods of consecutive time, not once a week. It’s more to keep your seniority than anything else. And in my region, it’s unpaid.

Remember that next time. And talk to your supervisors or higher up managers about your issues as they are happening

did you happen to have proper progression discipline? They shouldn’t be able to just let you go without suspensions and working terminations, unless you no called no showed for 72 hours and got a call about failing to report to work, which could be an instant termination

Intermittent FMLA is used here all the time. People use it for single days in my area mostly. To be honest most get it from a doctor so that they can take off when ever they want with no issues. Like to kids functions.

My thought was if he feels he's having anxiety he could call say he's taking FMLA and he would be covered for that day.

Yes he wouldn't be paid but he would still have a job.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Intermittent FMLA is used here all the time. People use it for single days in my area mostly.

Intermitent FMLA is a definite possibility.... depending on the circumstances.

With sufficient medical documentation, it can be approved.

You can be required to burn paid vacation, withholding 1 week.

To be honest most get it from a doctor so that they can take off when ever they want with no issues. Like to kids functions.

If they are approved, the company has no say in their outside activities.

My thought was if he feels he's having anxiety he could call say he's taking FMLA and he would be covered for that day.

People should take note, of the hour requirements.

It's not automatic.

-Bug-

* and @quad decade guy has no idea what he is talking about *

He should just go police the yard, for yellow vest violations.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

1. Birth of a child;
———-

It's called INTERMITTENT FMLA.