Got out of my driver training packet....

clever_username

Philosoraptor
Now they won't work me. I'm full time, not TCD. it's been over a month since my "graduation" from training. I'm sick of working in the hub; I wanna be out on the road. Do I have any options? I'm at the point now where I'm looking for employment elsewhere.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Check your supplement for the layoff language (& talk to steward/BA), and your state's unemployment laws. You may be able to file for unemployment instead of being forced back into the building (would likely lose your benefits, though).

Brownsfan

Now they won't work me. I'm full time, not TCD. it's been over a month since my "graduation" from training. I'm sick of working in the hub; I wanna be out on the road. Do I have any options? I'm at the point now where I'm looking for employment elsewhere.
Pretty soon you will be tired of driving, and wish you had the freedom of working in the hub again. Life is all about attitude, change that and it will change your life.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Waah.....how long have you worked here?

BrownTexas

You have the right to 8 hours. If someone else is training and you are not driving. Report to drive and file a seniority grievance if they don't let you "bump" him. We have this going on in our center. Guys getting out of packets and not driving. File a grievance. If you don't flex your muscles they will just run over you every time.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
You have the right to 8 hours. If someone else is training and you are not driving. Report to drive and file a seniority grievance if they don't let you "bump" him. We have this going on in our center. Guys getting out of packets and not driving. File a grievance. If you don't flex your muscles they will just run over you every time.

We have a driver who recently made seniority but she gets laid off while another new guy is qualifying. She's passive about grieving it so I guess that's on her. I wish I could grieve it, they'd be paying a bunch of money since this is a normal occurrence here.

BrownTexas

We have a driver who recently made seniority but she gets laid off while another new guy is qualifying. She's passive about grieving it so I guess that's on her. I wish I could grieve it, they'd be paying a bunch of money since this is a normal occurrence here.
You can always grieve it for her.

scooby0048

You can always grieve it for her.
I've read the master and our supp and it's pretty vague with regards to seniority grievances especially ones filed by another member. If there is something specific you can refer me to, I would file on her behalf. I'm under the impression only the affected person can file in this particular instance.

WESLA

It is what it is
That's not so bad if you consider the fact your fellow teamster is getting their qualifying period in. Rather than drive sporadically throughout the year and never completing your probationary period.

scooby0048

That's not so bad if you consider the fact your fellow teamster is getting their qualifying period in. Rather than drive sporadically throughout the year and never completing your probationary period.

You do make an excellent point, one which I hadn't given much thought prior to your comment. It is nice to have more drivers being trained who will hopefully get qualified thus making our workload a little easier. However, not one person should be laid off to accommodate this training routine. Even though the training route is still a route, it should not be used in the numbers game Atlanta plays everyday of how many routs we can have today.

I'm all about helping my brother and sister teamsters out but I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that a person whom has successfully completed their packet and earned seniority should not be losing any working time while someone who might or might not qualify and has not earned any seniority is working and making money.

WESLA

It is what it is
You do make an excellent point, one which I hadn't given much thought prior to your comment. It is nice to have more drivers being trained who will hopefully get qualified thus making our workload a little easier. However, not one person should be laid off to accommodate this training routine. Even though the training route is still a route, it should not be used in the numbers game Atlanta plays everyday of how many routs we can have today.

I'm all about helping my brother and sister teamsters out but I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that a person whom has successfully completed their packet and earned seniority should not be losing any working time while someone who might or might not qualify and has not earned any seniority is working and making money.
I do agree that seniority should prevail in any situation.
I would just like to see something put in place to where part time/ tcd drivers could obtain that 30 day period. At that point you have a lot more room for error. It's stressful for any new service provider getting on a car in their probationary period. And especially sux when days you've gained start falling off because you don't have enough opportunities to drive in 120 days lol.