Got paid 90 cents less for 9 months, please help.

I started UPS on March 17th, 2015. Since then I have been paid 10.10 an hour. I am now the loader with the most seniority on my belt, and make a dollar less than all the other loaders. I found this out when I was talking to another loader who has been there for 4 months, I was complaining that the new hires made a dollar more an hour than I do, and he informed me that he made 11.10 an hour, so I asked around. Everyone on my belt makes 11.10, none of them ever took a belt test, they just got a dollar raise just because. I told my supervisor that I wanted to talk to my union Steward and he told me "No let me do my job" he then talked to my area coordinator and he said he would fix it, but could only go back two weeks of pay. He was very nice about the situation, but the way I look at it, I'm out several hundreds of dollars. I am the hardest worker on my belt, getting 300 to 400 more scans an hour then any other loader. Start early and end late, and up to now, made a dollar less than any one else. If I didn't catch this, I would still be making 10.10. I was informed that this was more of a "judgment" raise, not a time based raise, for hard workers. What can I do? Do I have a case? Or do I deal with the fact that I could of been making 11 an hour instead of 10 for nearly 10 months. Please help me, I'm a good worker who has never been in trouble,etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your sup is partially correct-----he can do payroll adjustments for up to 90 days.

You can file a grievance but you would probably lose because it is up to you to bring payroll errors to the attention of your immediate supervisor in a timely manner.

Your sup is partially correct-----he can do payroll adjustments for up to 90 days.

You can file a grievance but you would probably lose because it is up to you to bring payroll errors to the attention of your immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
I would of brought it up immediately if I would of known that I was supposed to be getting an extra .90! I was under the impression that I was getting paid the same as everyone else, which wasn't the case. And if I didn't find out, I would still be getting paid 10.10.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would of brought it up immediately if I would of known that I was supposed to be getting an extra .90! I was under the impression that I was getting paid the same as everyone else, which wasn't the case. And if I didn't find out, I would still be getting paid 10.10.

Like I said, it's worth a shot to go ahead and file a grievance. The worst that could happen is they say no.

You would need to either attach copies of every pay stub or ask your supervisor to print out your payroll history (this would be easier for all involved).

By The Book

How far do they normally go back? I was always told 90 days.
Payroll errors are a little easier on the time limits than say a grievance for just about anything else. Just like when they overpay us they can go back a ways.....and they need to have good proof. I've sat in on a few of those....not fun. The affected employee kinda hates the Union for awhile.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would think in this case since the employee was new and really would have had no way of knowing whether he was being paid correctly or not that the company would adjust his pay rate and award him back pay for the entire 9 months.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Good thing you communicate with your co workers. This is why management is not allowed to discuss salary with each other. Think of all the money the company could save. lol. I'd go for all of it that is owed to you.

Whats a judgement raise? I thought we have a contract.
This is the text message I received "Well it's not a raise that is given due to time worked. It is given for either learning the entire belt or learning the sort. I give it to people like yourself who are hard working individuals also. It did unfortunately get over looked but technically you have not done either of the criteria to earn it¿"
Mind you, no other loader on my belt has taken a test, and I have picked off over 10 times, and was never told about a test.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
This is the text message I received "Well it's not a raise that is given due to time worked. It is given for either learning the entire belt or learning the sort. I give it to people like yourself who are hard working individuals also. It did unfortunately get over looked but technically you have not done either of the criteria to earn it¿"
Mind you, no other loader on my belt has taken a test, and I have picked off over 10 times, and was never told about a test.

Back before the hin labels anyone who loaded trucks automatically got a dollar raise because it was considered a skilled job. I work the preload so I am thinking you load the semi's we call it reload here. Now they don't give it t anyone because it isn't considered a skilled job. However even back then we never took a loading test or anything like that. Either way I don't know if their give you back pay because their calling it a judgment raise which means they didn't think you earned it yet. However if it is in the contract your suppose to get it then you have a case. Don't erase that text make sure you save anything the supervisors send you.