Got rid of ORIAN

UPSGUY72

It seems that after over a year of trying to implement the ORIAN program /system in my old building it was a total failure. So much so they pulled out the program and the people that where there trying to make it work and returned the EDD to what it was before.

Another big waste of money. At least this time UPS figured out you can put a square peg into a round hole even though it took over a year.

UPSGUY72

Yes that was part of it. It also gave you a time line on when you where suppose to be at each stop. It basically was to micro-manage us drivers without taking into account any off the hundred of variables that we have to deal with each day in order to deliver the packages we have.

paidover95

We were told its going to roll back out in january of 2012,with the next level incorporated.(the stops being loaded according to the way the system wants you to deliver it)"THE SOLUTION TO YOUR ROUTE"

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
We were told its going to roll back out in january of 2012,with the next level incorporated.(the stops being loaded according to the way the system wants you to deliver it)"THE SOLUTION TO YOUR ROUTE"

Sounds good to me, just in time for another raise at time and half. Just work as instructed and follow trace as best as you can. When your miles double and your plan day goes from 9hours to 11, remind them that someone paid good money for ORION or whatever it's called, they must know what they're doing.

BrownArmy

You think UPS would try to work out the kinks with PAS/EDD before implementing a 'better' system...(any system is only as good as the data entered into it, etc, etc...).

My brain is ORIAN every day...

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It seems that after over a year of trying to implement the ORIAN program /system in my old building it was a total failure. So much so they pulled out the program and the people that where there trying to make it work and returned the EDD to what it was before.

Another big waste of money. At least this time UPS figured out you can put a square peg into a round hole even though it took over a year.

I do believe you were given some bad information....wait till 2012 as the other poster has said.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I do believe you were given some bad information....wait till 2012 as the other poster has said.

Is that when SkyNet becomes self aware? Seems all this hub-bub about EDD this, ORIAN that, when will the higher ups realize we just deliver boxes, seems silly if you think about it that way huh? All these systems just to try and recreate what we've been doing for the past 100 years. When a report comes out on how to measure customer service, I'll be impressed.

UPSGUY72

That makes no sense. I understand what you where told but it doesn't make any sense why wouldn't they just change the way the packages are loaded now and keep the system??? Instead of pulling the program and returning everything to the way it was before only to have every change again next Jan.

satellitedriver

Thanks be to the Great Ju-Ju, in the sky, that I load my own pkg car.
In 3 minutes, by scanning EDD and looking at the load sent, I can call the center and tell them my punch-out time and what I will not be able to deliver.
ORIAN, theoretically, will predict the planned day.
In tribute to TRP,
I will bet a dollar to a donut hole that my predictions will beat ORIAN'S every day

BrownGuy

What specific evidence do you have that it was a failure? How many miles was your center running before it and what were your stops per car? How about afterward? What about all the test sites?

menotyou

bella amicizia
That makes no sense. I understand what you where told but it doesn't make any sense why wouldn't they just change the way the packages are loaded now and keep the system??? Instead of pulling the program and returning everything to the way it was before only to have every change again next Jan.

Welcome to UPS.

dogs.bite.me

Orion was in my center also... It had its ups and downs... Had good things but the bad overwelmed the good. What you don't realize is that, UPS doesn't view it as a total failure, but an utter success. They pulled everybody to create a prototype that they can implement to all centers. It's coming in 2 years. =)

pretzel_man

Waste of money?

How many miles per driver did your building reduce after getting ORION?

Its easy to say its a waste here. Explain why so many miles were reduced.....

bumped

Waste of money?

How many miles per driver did your building reduce after getting ORION?

Its easy to say its a waste here. Explain why so many miles were reduced.....

I can't even get my ceneter to dispatch the On Demands correctly. For over 2 years now they keep sending me the same on demands at least twice a week that is 10 miles away from me in the city. For those 2 plus years I was telling them out of area and who is suppose to get it. Now, I'm sick and tired of doing that, so I just break off my area and do it. So much for saving miles.

Re-Raise

Here we go again..

Probably sounds great on the conference call.

Just give us the drivers on the street to service the customers and eliminate all the people who sit around thinking up these things.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The system itself will only be as good as the manner in which it is implemented. Garbage in, garbage out. For a fraction of what we would spend on an entirely new system, why not just fix the flaws in the one we already have? The problems we have with EDD/PAS are not inherent to the system itself, but are merely a natural consequence of the company's decision to implement it on the cheap. 99% of the daily issues we fight with on my center would be resolved if they would just free up our most experienced on-car sup for two weeks, lock him in a room with no distractions, and let him do nothing but re-loop and re-organize our routes so that they are properly dispatched. He has the knowledge; he has the capability and the resources; he simply doesnt have the time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We had a former on car get sent to North Dakota to help re-loop a screwed up center. Got less than half of it done and they sent him somewhere else. I'm sure the center runs great now that it's only half screwed up.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
We had a former on car get sent to North Dakota to help re-loop a screwed up center. Got less than half of it done and they sent him somewhere else. I'm sure the center runs great now that it's only half screwed up.
That in it self is a problem. Why send an on car with NO local area knowledge to rectify re-looping in an area that may as well be a foreign country. Would make much more sense to use someone local whom has an in-depth knowledge of the area to be done as well as a good rapport with the drivers involved.

pretzel_man

The system itself will only be as good as the manner in which it is implemented. Garbage in, garbage out. For a fraction of what we would spend on an entirely new system, why not just fix the flaws in the one we already have? The problems we have with EDD/PAS are not inherent to the system itself, but are merely a natural consequence of the company's decision to implement it on the cheap. 99% of the daily issues we fight with on my center would be resolved if they would just free up our most experienced on-car sup for two weeks, lock him in a room with no distractions, and let him do nothing but re-loop and re-organize our routes so that they are properly dispatched. He has the knowledge; he has the capability and the resources; he simply doesnt have the time.

Most of what you say here is true certainly.

But, there is nothing wrong with fixing today's problems AND providing new capabilities.

Not all centers are screwed up in the manner you mention.

It also has nothing to do with the fact that facts in the original post are incorrect.

What happened in the location(s)? What was the miles reduction? Paid day? SPORH?