GPS for sat. airs.

I will most likely be starting to drive Saturday Airs in the coming weeks..

Is it worth bringing a GSP system with me instead of relying on a road map which most of the drivers do?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only problem with a GPS is you have to set it for your first stop and then reset for each additional stop. It may not be a bad idea if you are unfamiliar with the area that you will be delivering; however, how would you know which would or should be your next stop?

I am asked to run Saturday air ocassionally and will use a map for any areas that I am unfamiliar with. I find it much less cumbersome than setting and then resetting the GPS. A map also gives you the benefit of seeing the whole area so that you can better chart the ideal route based on the pkgs that you have.

GPS is not 100%. We have a street in my town which goes through a trailer park and, according to GPS, ends up in a old wallpaper mill which has been converted to several businesses. The only problem is the city put a gate between the trailer park and the mill. At least once a week a semi will drive down that road hoping to get to the mill because that is what his GPS told him to do. Do you know how hard it is to turn a semi around in a trailer park?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If you already have one and are efficient at using it then I would say yes. But don't go out and buy one just for the job. You will find that after a few weeks or months you won't be needing it anymore and it may be a waste of good money spent.

SmithBarney

I wouldn't recommend buying one, but if you have one its nice to have, I know from time to time I end up at my last stop in odd ball locations
and I really don't know the fastest way back to the building. and yes many Saturdays will become repeats, but even after 2 years of running Saturday
I still get packages for streets I've never been on. out in the corner of the county.

Luckily Saturdays relaxed schedule allow a little cushion(in most areas) for time.

happybob

Feeders
With the billions being spent on the new technology you may see the day that the DIAD will be giving you verbal directions to your next stop, just like the GPS you can purchase in the stores do. A map in every new drivers tool chest will become obsolete.

Just wondering if anyone from IE may have thought of this yet, and what's the expected timetable to see it implemented.

Mike57

My brother has one, Loves it, BUT it uses alot of battery power,so if you buy one bring your charge cord with you!
I love my Blackberry,But, you guessed ,I bring my charge cord just in case.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
With the billions being spent on the new technology you may see the day that the DIAD will be giving you verbal directions to your next stop, just like the GPS you can purchase in the stores do. A map in every new drivers tool chest will become obsolete.

Just wondering if anyone from IE may have thought of this yet, and what's the expected timetable to see it implemented.

My Nokia 5800 phone that I paid $49 for, after the $100 rebate, does just that.
Same as a Garmin or a Tomtom does.
Works great.
Makes you wonder what UPS is waiting for?
Got to believe they aren't.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My brother has one, Loves it, BUT it uses alot of battery power,so if you buy one bring your charge cord with you!
I love my Blackberry,But, you guessed ,I bring my charge cord just in case.

Hey Mike, I have been looking at the BB and Droids. I'm seeing mixed reviews although the majority have been very positive on the BB (esp. the Tour). What do you like/dislike about your BB?

:offtopic: Sorry...............................

DazedandConfused

If your EDD is as messed up as the EDD is for most of our routes, that should be very interesting to say the least....lol. The idea is pretty cool, I must admit. Remember the computer term GIGO?? Need I say more??? LMAO

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If verbal instructions in the DIAD ever do become reality I would request a female voice as it has been a long time since a woman has told me where to go.:wink2:

Aaaaaaw, come on Dave, it hasn't been that long has it? I know I've said it a time or two. Ooooh, maybe I said that to myself.............................:blushing::wink2:

bad company

semi-pro
Get a good map book, and look up the streets for each package before you leave the bldg. Write down the grid coordinates for each package, on the box near the label for easy reference.

You can than organize the packages to their respective grid coordinates and pages in the map book.

For example, you may have a stop at 123 Main St with the grid coordinates located on PG 84, A4.
You may have anoother pkg for 1600 Pennsylvania Ave located on PG 85, C3.

Most of your stops will be near eachother, and depending on the map book in use, will all be within the same 4-5 pages in the map book. So even though you may not initially know where every stop is located, you can still organize your stops before you leaving the building, and have a general idea of which stops are close to each other. You may find that you have 4 stops on Page 83, 2 stops on Page 84, and 1 stop on Page 85, etc...

This will help you get a starting point and get a general idea of where all of your stops are located.

mapFREE1_1_3.png

mapFREE1_1_3..jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Clarksville is pretty easy to deliver in but you will find that you experience the full spectrum of different types of delivery.

SmithBarney

I coached a few of our newer drivers on Sat to make a cheat sheet.. nothing worse than remembering you have a package for "brown street" but you can't remember what number... so you have to stop twice. Make the list once stick it to the dash, never look in the back again.