GPS for sat. airs.

browniehound

If your EDD is as messed up as the EDD is for most of our routes, that should be very interesting to say the least....lol. The idea is pretty cool, I must admit. Remember the computer term GIGO?? Need I say more??? LMAO

Good point, however I think we need to get EDD perfect for every route. We are going on 7 years here and the trace is still not right on many routes.

For example, at the middle of this recession, the division manager gave a PCM about growing the business and cutting costs. In the cost-cutting area he mentioned things like shutting off lights, taking the TP60 off the route or putting the 24 footer into a 1200 for the gas mileage.

All that is good stuff, but how about making the EDD perfect for every route? We are preached that idle time will save UPS immediately.

I think making EDD perfect for every route will save us money immediately. Think about it, if the trace was perfect for every route miles would be reduced significantly. Also, if you send a driver out "blind" all he has to do is follow EDD and he can get through it. If EDD is perfect, there will be no fuel wasted driving around the block or criss-crossing other drivers.

I understand the dispatch sup has a ton on his plate, but if the entire center team worked on it for an entire day they could fix it. I know almost all the routes in my center and would offer my advice in a heartbeat, just so another driver doesn't have to suffer through bad EDD again.

Again, think about the fuel and labor savings with perfect EDD. Then, just get the pre-load to load the truck stop-for-stop and we'd be golden.

My opinion is that this should be the areas of management focus.

However, I'm just a driver so what the heck do I know??

djkre8r

I work most Saturdays and bring my GPS. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255w and get about 3 hours battery life out of it. I only use it when in doubt because I have had the battery die when I really needed it. It does take you an extra minute or so to type the info in BUT if it wasn't for my GPS, I would have never got those darn iPads delivered (new Saturday customers). You CAN put an address in, then add another and tell it "add as via point" instead of "add as new destination". This will "build" a simple route for you. I have put about 5 in at a time. Don't rely on it... just use it when needed.