GPS Package tracking

iruhnman630

Why would you be "right next to her street" at 11 am and not deliver until 6 pm when you are already dropping off a package one street over????
Many possible reasons which would make no sense to someone with no clue of the details involved in this business, such as yourself. Some reasons don't even make sense to those of us who do it every day.

Big Babooba

Why would you be "right next to her street" at 11 am and not deliver until 6 pm when you are already dropping off a package one street over???? Please refer to my other reply concerning optimal routes. The situation you describe seems very inadequate to me. If you are just one street over from a delivery, would it not make sense to just drive a block or so and drop the other package off instead of coming all the way back from across another part of town? Highly inefficient IMO. No, I am not a UPS employee nor have I ever been. I dont think you need to have worked anywhere for anyone to use common sense. Maybe some of the High Schools and Universities out there need to make that a required course now. Oh, and not just one, it would probably have to be CS I, CS II and CS II (advanced studies) LMAO!!!
It is obvious that you don't work for UPS. The implementation of PAS eliminated common sense at UPS.

I work in the back office, so I don't know a lot of the process changes and associations, so excuse my ignorance.

But, don't we already associate the package to the truck when it goes onto the truck? We wouldn't have to change the label - use the same label. From there, associate the GPS device on the truck, and, viola, you have the GPS tracking of the package.

I would pay an extra $1 on personal packages to be able to pull up exactly where my package is.

I just wonder what the downside is of allowing customers to have this ability; wouldn't the drivers get hounded? Would it be a benefit if someone did this to the driver or a big hinderance?

It's not big brother, just a way to re-assure it's on its way. The reason I want this is because I was burnt on this with FedEx (and I'm sure this has happened at UPS). My house is in a new sub division in a rural area, but is close to a small town. According to the tracking system, for three days straight, the package was 'Out for Delivery', but it was never delivered. On the third day, I called to see what was going on, and they'd said that they tried to deliver it. Since the FedEx place is 25 miles from my house, I wanted to see if I could pick it up from the driver. They allowed that to happen, but it took forever to hook up with the driver and figure out where in the heck he was. Finally, when I got to him (via the dispatcher), the package was at the FedEx hub not on the truck. I ended up having to drive down to the hub since they said they tried to drop it off the maximum number of times (in reality, the driver had no idea where the new sub division was). If GPS tracking existed, I could have found out straight away where the truck was, where the package was and piece of mind the damn thing is actually trying to get here.

Why dangle a carrot in front of someone who's not going to get it until the designated portion of that route comes up?

If you're in a hurry for that package call ahead and pick it up yourself from the hub or try this new service level we just came out wit called Next Day Air and you'll have it by 1030 am.

FilingBluesFL

I think GBiscuit IS a QVC queen... that's just after 6 years finally ordered everything that QVC has to offer, and has nothing left to do but go back 6 years and read BC from the begining lol