GPS tighten your standards?

BoogaBooga

Management told us that GPS tightened up our standards. I went from .25 under or scratch to an unbelievable 1 to 2 hours over! Not alone in this, as other drivers are in the same situation. Management then sent Union Safety Committee members to spy on drivers like me. (Steward told newbie, don't know better, safety kid drivers that they were walking a
very thin line) Then received a ride along, and was told not driving fast enough on narrow, windy, hilly, gravel roads, was not using package selection area correctly, and that the over allowed was my fault! Same supervisor did the safety
ride months before, and went on and on about the great job I was doing! The messages on the Diad are inflammatory and harassing-especially about being done because we are all on the 9.5 list. I have always had a good disposition,
but I absolutely dread going to work. My question: Is the above situation happening all over, or is it just happening at our small center?

over9five

Staff member
They're throwing "it" against the wall to see what sticks. I bet 3/4s of the drivers in your center start running their lunch to make the new 'make believe' standards.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
They did it here, yrs ago. I went from 20 over to scartch daily, to 1.5 over. They tell us to step it up constantly. I tried and beat myself to death needlessly for a few yrs. They add more and more, and now I go out with what they used to force a helper on me when I had this much.

Just follow their rules, take your breaks, dont try shortcuts to make them happy, dont cut out your time, you need it to survive. Not many can meet their new and improved numbers, and most seasoned people know, and accept that they are impossible at best in some areas.

I also quit using my phone to make their job easier. They have bluetooth capabilities listed in the new diad, they must have a plan for it. Since they have decided to dispatch at 3pm, instead of 8 am , they can figure out how to do it.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
They did it here, yrs ago. I went from 20 over to scartch daily, to 1.5 over. They tell us to step it up constantly. I tried and beat myself to death needlessly for a few yrs. They add more and more, and now I go out with what they used to force a helper on me when I had this much.

Just follow their rules, take your breaks, dont try shortcuts to make them happy, dont cut out your time, you need it to survive. Not many can meet their new and improved numbers, and most seasoned people know, and accept that they are impossible at best in some areas.

I also quit using my phone to make their job easier. They have bluetooth capabilities listed in the new diad, they must have a plan for it. Since they have decided to dispatch at 3pm, instead of 8 am , they can figure out how to do it.

Same story for me when I was in package car.

OVERBOARD

Don't believe everything you think
What ever happen to everyone must run scratch by June 2012? The samething thing will happen to your new standards. Its just the new flavor of the month, dont worry just ride out the wave and before you know, it will be on to something esle. We don't control the flavor of the month, all we can do is one stop at a time and be safe.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
What ever happen to everyone must run scratch by June 2012? The samething thing will happen to your new standards. Its just the new flavor of the month, dont worry just ride out the wave and before you know, it will be on to something esle. We don't control the flavor of the month, all we can do is one stop at a time and be safe.

That's funny..."everyone must run scratch by June 2012"...they better go back to their magic numbers then...

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
My center gained time overall on the GPS time study. I gained about 25 clicks, some routes lost up to half an hour though. Who cares really, just do your job and don't worry about it.

browniehound

My center gained time overall on the GPS time study. I gained about 25 clicks, some routes lost up to half an hour though. Who cares really, just do your job and don't worry about it.

This issue sounds like a broken record to me. "Just do your job and don't worry about it" has been said a million times over since I started almost a decade and a half ago, yet the advice still rings true. I have witnessed scores if not hundreds of drivers get 3 the day "happy rides" yet have never seen 1 driver discharged or even repremanded for anything that happened after that (hello waste of company resources. How about fix the ML problem with your time?).

Its simply because the company can't do anything about it. The master contract says "a fair days pay for a fair days work". It mentions nothing about meeting certain SPORH goals or under-allowed numbers, so my guess is the company doesn't have a leg to stand on if you can't meet your SPORH goal.

As long as you're not dogging it out there and intentionally slowing down or driving the long way to a stop to earn more money anyone should be fine. Of course you're going to do the route faster with a management person standing next to you for three days. He/she is not going to allow you to speak with your customers and we all know this is not how the real world works. Customer contact is imperative if we want to keep up the image of the "friendly UPS guy" or my "UPS guy is like family". Which the company likes a promotes to the general public.

Its funny that UPS wants to use this advantage to get a foot in the door for customer service to get a phone number for a decision maker to gain volume, but on a 3-day ride customer contact is to minimized and finding sales leads is a non-issue on the 3-day ride, yet otherwise its so vital to the company's survival?

Sorry, you can't have it both ways or you can't have your cake and eat it to, or any other way you want to put it. I think we all get the picture?

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Management told us that GPS tightened up our standards. I went from .25 under or scratch to an unbelievable 1 to 2 hours over! Not alone in this, as other drivers are in the same situation. Management then sent Union Safety Committee members to spy on drivers like me. (Steward told newbie, don't know better, safety kid drivers that they were walking a
very thin line) Then received a ride along, and was told not driving fast enough on narrow, windy, hilly, gravel roads, was not using package selection area correctly, and that the over allowed was my fault! Same supervisor did the safety
ride months before, and went on and on about the great job I was doing! The messages on the Diad are inflammatory and harassing-especially about being done because we are all on the 9.5 list. I have always had a good disposition,
but I absolutely dread going to work. My question: Is the above situation happening all over, or is it just happening at our small center?

Lot of good advice given. If your methods are not what they should be, start working on them. GPS time standards = everyone got screwed, believe me.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our mostly urban routes lost an hour or 2 and our rural routes all gained an hour or 2. Guys that scratched for years are getting harassed and guys that were always an hour + over are getting patted on the back.

Silliness.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If your methods are not what they should be, start working on them.

Is this a PCM....???

Get on the truck.

Demonstrate you can do the job....

At least, for more than 5 minutes.

Methods.... won't cut 2 hours off.... any route.

If anything, you make more money.

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Do I want to go back to this?

That is kind of a "defeatist" attitude.

Correct me if I am wrong.... But, I thought you were "gearing up" to return ??

Physical rehab.... Blah, Blah, and Blah..??

Cartoon type Avatars.... are no substitution for real pictures. Unless they are repressed feelings. :wink2:

-Bug-

rocket man

NOTHING HAS CHANGED REMEMBER its only ther warped number system still do your lunch and one stop at a time 730 to 8pm will be there soon enough thiis week we had 2 drivers at 58 hours and 7 over 50 hours do the best you can (oh i forgot ) we have a couple of rabbits and 2 of them had property damage claims this week but there numbers were killer the investagation takes 3 days lets see what happens to there numbers.

packageguy

1st your safety committee has no right to spy and rat on there own. Your union should know this , because the union and the company pick the safety committee. 2nd you are to the drive the speed limit. IF there is any discipline your next call should be to Atlanta. 3rd We had harrassment messages coming over the board asked oms supervisors to print, the next morning went in the office gave all the copies to building manager. We told him if this does not stop by today. We will send copies to Atlanta. As of today no more harrassment messages. Like in this previous post they throw sh** against the wall and trying to see what sticks. We work to hard to be treated this way. Just do your job and give them nothing.....

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
What you are experiencing has been going on for decades. It is the typical I.E. scam to try and screw as many drivers out of their lunches and breaks as possible. The so-called "time study" has been carefully designed to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. It is basically free money for the company; if 10 drivers on a 30 driver center can be intimidated into working thru their lunch in order to "run scratch", that equates to an entire route eliminated, one less FT employee on the payroll, one less car on the road. Time is money; why would UPS give away money?

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
​YES!!!