GPS vs MAPS

UrFellowUpser

I used to rely on GPS alot when i first started running routes in the blind, but now i find it more efficient to map out the next 16 to 20 stops using google maps on my phone or on paper maps instead of putting in each address. Now im to the point where i hate using GPS

WTFm8

I use Google Maps on on routes running blind. Program in my next 10 stops and plany turn by turn on my $8 bluetooth speaker.

Have a $28 120% battery backup case on my phone which lets it last all day so far... just have to keep brightness down under half for those occasional times I need to peek at next business stop to get an idea of lot layout.

El Correcto

god is dead
I use Google Maps on on routes running blind. Program in my next 10 stops and plany turn by turn on my $8 bluetooth speaker.

Have a $28 120% battery backup case on my phone which lets it last all day so far... just have to keep brightness down under half for those occasional times I need to peek at next business stop to get an idea of lot layout.
I print out a free map in the dispatch room and let the route crash and burn into the ground.

Probably why I don’t go out blind anymore, besides occasional splits I don’t know.

Box Ox

I used to rely on GPS alot when i first started running routes in the blind, but now i find it more efficient to map out the next 16 to 20 stops using google maps on my phone or on paper maps instead of putting in each address. Now im to the point where i hate using GPS

Your area is growing/changing all the time. Makes paper maps published a while ago less useful.

Check out the "Road Warrior" app if you've got an Android phone. Can input your stops in advance and easily rattle them off.

rod

Retired 22 years
Years ago we never used maps and all that modern navigation stuff hadn't even been thought of yet. At best one of your fellow drivers who had ran the route before would draw a map on the package. After about a week of getting lost you knew all the roads

Box Ox

Years ago we never used maps and all that modern navigation stuff hadn't even been thought of yet. At best one of your fellow drivers who had ran the route before would draw a map on the package. After about a week of getting lost you knew all the roads

Man. Sounds like we're fortunate to have the luxury telematics and a stop order system that bounces routes all over an area.

Why can't kids these days just get maps drawn for their 250 stops before leaving the building?!

rod

Retired 22 years
Man. Sounds like we're fortunate to have the luxury telematics and a stop order system that bounces routes all over an area.

Why can't kids these days just get maps drawn for their 250 stops before leaving the building?!

Seriously--a map drawn on every one of their 250 stops. How frigging helpless is this younger generation? Take away their smartphones and they couldn't find their way out of a sleeping bag.

Box Ox

Seriously--a map drawn on every one of their 250 stops. How frigging helpless is this younger generation? Take away their smartphones and they couldn't find their way out of a sleeping bag.

Was maybe a bit hyperbolic about a map for every one of the 250. But you get the idea. Old timers have plenty of stories about piddling around with the extra time they had because the days typically weren't bad, and there was no tracking. So needing to take a little more time to find their way around probably wasn't such a big deal. Getting totally lost might get you back in at about the time a driver would regularly get back to center now.

Just saying that it's probably not really an apples to apples comparison. These days, everybody's blown out and there's not much time to figure out what's what.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Was maybe a bit hyperbolic about a map for every one of the 250. But you get the idea. Old timers have plenty of stories about piddling around with the extra time they had because the days typically weren't bad, and there was no tracking. So needing to take a little more time to find their way around probably wasn't such a big deal. Getting totally lost might get you back in at about the time a driver would regularly get back to center now.

Just saying that it's probably not really an apples to apples comparison. These days, everybody's blown out and there's not much time to figure out what's what.
No, it is an apples to apples comparison. You only like to think you have it worse now. Old days...on the route cold, here's a pad of 50 liners, keys, go! No idea what's in your truck, and where. Getting lost was as bad then as it is now, we just figured it out. Today, everything is in your DIAD, you have gps in your phone, package cars all automatic, power steering, power brakes, much lower steps, keyless fob, etc.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

Thats the point of Dynamic Orion, it not only maps out your route to your next stop but shows you the route for the one after that. Trust me you wont need gps Google maps etc we will all be told to work as directed or face progressive disciple. Then if you do it your way your excess miles become stealing, either way no later than the end of next year it will be company wide

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I remember one time getting sent out blind on a country route, I set up all my stops in alphabetical order, wrote down the street names and then just drove around looking for streets that were on my list. After I got rid of all the stops I could find on my own I went to the country store for help finding the rest. Long day.

sikidiki

I use a garmin gps with a friction mount, if i cant find it i type it in, faster than looking at a map and wondering where i am. The gps shows what street im on and what streets are ahead, send me out cold on any route and i can do it just fine. It is faster than looking at a map and plotting out my next stops, i just type it in and follow the directions. Also in before every old timer claims maps are superior and back in the old days lingo, i get the job done safely and efficiently, thats all that matters. Also i dont type it in for every single address, if im on the same street and i know the grid i just go from there, but moving from 1 section to the other can be tricky on routes you dont know so thats when i use it.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
When I was a noob many moons ago, I took a 20 stop split off of another driver late at night and he drew a very detailed map for me on one of the boxes.

The problem I had about 10 mins later was that the box he wrote it on was part of what was supposed to be my first stop.

I'll never forget that lol.

old levi's

blank space
Best maps I ever worked with were made by a company called LAS Systems. They covered each county in great detail (even had the number breaks at all crossroads, huge plus when running a rural route). Maps were in a binder with an alphabetical index. The way the book was arranged if you turned a page there was just enough overlap from the previous page you had the same continuity as if you were driving along the road.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
On the blind? Are you a seniority driver? I even use add cut sections to fatten my wallet. If I went on the blind, it would be biblical!