Grandfathering into full time

QualityLoads

Was talking to an older driver and he told me there was a time that if a pt driver/cover driver is used on a route for a certain amount of days/hours, that driver would be grandfathered into full time possibly on that route.

theres a bid route in my center where the full time driver is on leave because of hip surgery and it looks like he's not coming back any time soon. This happens to be the route I did my 30 days and ran everyday during peak. They tried to train a 10 year inside guy on the route, who went straight to full time. even I trained him for the first 3 days on the route. he was really tough to train, way too much for me I've only been driving since November.

He ended scratching up the truck badly on both sides trying to pull out the building his first day solo. he was given extra shots after the accident which was blatantly covered up by management. After missed pickups, bad customer feedback, and not knowing the delivery points after 5 days of training they pulled him off the route.

Now It seems I'm doing the route every day because we're short staffed it only makes sense to put me on the route since I've shown I can perform and it leaves them flexibility to move the other cover drivers around who know multiple routes. Anyway I know I'm being overly optimistic, but is there any language regarding jumping to full time if used on a route consistently or is it just straight seniority. South east region.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
You won't get the route permanently if the driver is out on disability. If the driver is unable to return and his career is finished, the route will then go up for bid.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

If you're a PTer and they utilize you for 30 days in a row you can be considered a FTer. We try to avoid using air drivers for ground for this very reason.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If you're a PTer and they utilize you for 30 days in a row you can be considered a FTer. We try to avoid using air drivers for ground for this very reason.
I don't believe that the PTer becomes a FTer, but if you use a PTer as a FTer for 30 days, that becomes a new FT job and than is put up for bid for FTers.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I don't believe that the PTer becomes a FTer, but if you use a PTer as a FTer for 30 days, that becomes a new FT job and than is put up for bid for FTers.
Makes sense. I was utilizing an air driver to deliver misloads and my FT sup explained it to me quick.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Exception air driver delivers ground for 30 days = TEMPORARY cover driver (happens almost every peak )

TCD reports for ground 150 times in a year = FT position (NEVER gonna happen)

At least where i am

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Exception air driver delivers ground for 30 days = TEMPORARY cover driver (happens almost every peak )

TCD reports for ground 150 times in a year = FT position (NEVER gonna happen)

At least where i am
We don't have TCD's in the Central.

But we do have that if a new job is put in for 30 days. it is then a permanent job and will be bid.

Article 3

Section 8

Qualified full-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority

may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs as provided

for in this Article in all months except November and December.

When a permanent new job or permanent vacancy becomes open

in a center, it shall be posted by the Employer, within ten (10)

days, for a period of five (5) working days, except in the months

of November and December. A permanent new job, for the purpose

of this Article, shall be one that has been in existence for a period of

thirty (30) calendar days.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
We don't have TCD's in the Central.

But we do have that if a new job is put in for 30 days. it is then a permanent job and will be bid.

Article 3

Section 8

Qualified full-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority

may select permanent vacancies and new permanent jobs as provided

for in this Article in all months except November and December.

When a permanent new job or permanent vacancy becomes open

in a center, it shall be posted by the Employer, within ten (10)

days, for a period of five (5) working days, except in the months

of November and December. A permanent new job, for the purpose

of this Article, shall be one that has been in existence for a period of

thirty (30) calendar days.
Holy :censored2: balls.

I've never looked it up as it has never applied to me but we have that language too.

I've just always been told it was so many reports. We have about 10 TCDs that have driven more than 30 reports this year!

I am going to tell our "most aggressive" steward about this tomorrow and see what happens.

EDIT: never mind. Just checked the section for TCD. 156 reports
So how does that jive with the thirty day language?

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
bad-grandpa-o.gif

Last edited: