Green Pickups are not a concern to drivers?

upandcomer

It boggles my mind about the drivers who worry about Basic service but nobody seems to care that you could see a way bigger reduction in drivers with the new "Green Pickups" that starts in January.

Is this because you drivers out there have not been made familiar with these new service offerings?

upandcomer

What are green pickups?

We are going to completely revamp the pick-up system. Currently you have your daily accounts. All the daily accounts will be given the option to continue their daily service or change to 1, 2, 3, 4 days a week. This means all your low volume pick-ups where you sometimes have nothing to pick-up could potentially drop down to once or twice per week.

There will also be more pick-ups made at the same time as delivery, meaning there will be a lot more morning hour pick-ups being made.

Probably in typical UPS fashion you will return the Monday after New Year's with 100 new rules, a totally new route, and no advance warning.

SmithBarney

This isn't something new. When I was with UPS(a mere 2 yrs ago) They were always keeping tabs on our Pickups, and cutting days off them.

upandcomer

This isn't something new. When I was with UPS(a mere 2 yrs ago) They were always keeping tabs on our Pickups, and cutting days off them.

This will be way different we have never marketed anything like this before. I am not a driver but I think early morning pick-ups could create headaches for drivers as well.

browniehound

This will be way different we have never marketed anything like this before. I am not a driver but I think early morning pick-ups could create headaches for drivers as well.

Why is UPS marketing this "green" image? The marketing must cost more than 400,000 turkeys(ha ha) and I can't imagine what it does for our bottom line.

Are you going to choose UPS over Fed-Ex because UPS is more "greener"? I don't even know what that means or if either company could qualify as "green"?

The fact is, both companies are enormous polluters of the envrionment. 82,000 gas or diesel package cars/day in the US emits a tremendous amount of CO2 everyday. 10 hybrid or electric vehicles does or means nothing.

What is UPS trying to accomplish by publishing stories of using a handful of hybrid or fuel cell package cars? Are they trying to say they will replace the entire fleet with these?

This is the only thing that would have a significant impact on UPS's carbon footprint. We all know this can never happen. Its just not feasible.

Even if it were UPS' plan, at the rate they replace old package cars, it would take more than 30 years to "green the fleet".

So my question still is: Why does UPS market the use of these low or no-emmision vehicles when they still haven't updated its fleet with power-steering package cars?

Its simply not profitable for the company to use these "green" vehicles. I would love to hear a straight answer...

rod

Retired 22 years
Anything done to cut back on services can be marketed as being "Green" but in all actuallity its just a way to cheaply reduce costs while screwing everyone - management, labor and the public. In a service business less work will always mean less jobs- all the way around. I think the general public is starting to wise up about all this "Green" crap.:sad-little:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Why is UPS marketing this "green" image? The marketing must cost more than 400,000 turkeys(ha ha) and I can't imagine what it does for our bottom line.

Are you going to choose UPS over Fed-Ex because UPS is more "greener"? I don't even know what that means or if either company could qualify as "green"?

The fact is, both companies are enormous polluters of the envrionment. 82,000 gas or diesel package cars/day in the US emits a tremendous amount of CO2 everyday. 10 hybrid or electric vehicles does or means nothing.

What is UPS trying to accomplish by publishing stories of using a handful of hybrid or fuel cell package cars? Are they trying to say they will replace the entire fleet with these?

This is the only thing that would have a significant impact on UPS's carbon footprint. We all know this can never happen. Its just not feasible.

Even if it were UPS' plan, at the rate they replace old package cars, it would take more than 30 years to "green the fleet".

So my question still is: Why does UPS market the use of these low or no-emmision vehicles when they still haven't updated its fleet with power-steering package cars?

Its simply not profitable for the company to use these "green" vehicles. I would love to hear a straight answer...

Because the media is listening, and humans are very gullable.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If UPS is serious about helping the enviornment, they could start running the fleet on B20 biodiesel. This is a mixture of 80% conventional petroleum diesel and 20% biodiesel made from recycled cooking oil or locally grown and refined canola or rapeseed oil. It would require no modifications to the equipment. I have been running by 2006 VW Jetta TDI on biodiesel for over 3 yrs now with no issues whatsoever. There is no reason not to do this.

They are calling the new pickup strategy "green" to help sell it to the public. UPS's concern for the environment stops at the bottom line just the same as their concern for employee safety. The advertising of our "green vehicles" are just another market strategy to get people off of UPS's back over pollution, they can say " Hey, we're trying to do our part.". Who knows how much tax credit UPS gets for having a hald dozen hybred vehicles. The whold "green" thing is a huge money maker for a few people, Al Gore is now a Billionaire due to his corporation selling carbon credits while he flies around the world in his private jet. Gore wouldn't give a hoot about the enviroment if it were not profitable.

JustTired

free at last.......
With "green" pickups coming.....it's just a matter of time before we see "green" deliveries. This will be the same "remote delivery" scheme attempted years ago....just under a more environment friendly name. The public will probably eat it up and the drivers will hate it. They (the drivers) will just have to remind them of why their pkg wasn't delivered in a timely manner. "Hey... the company is just trying to save the planet. It has nothing to do with service degradation."

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Giving the customer the option now of 1,2,3,4or 5 days a week for p/up may also be good for the shipper who never used UPS because they didn't want to pay for the service when he didn't need to ship everyday. Thus gaing in more customers!!! But!!! beware of the customer who stacks it all for a Friday!!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
As with every new enhancement I will bend over and take it. I started my career with a 6oz jar of petroleum jelly and now I buy it in 55 gallon drums.

whiskey

I think it's called green because the customer will be giving UPS a lot less green.
Less packages, less UPS employees. We'll be running lean for the foreseeable future. It's taken awhile, but we were never not in the dominos line.

pretzel_man

As far as I know, the initiative is now called Smart Pickup (no longer green pickup).

It seems relatively straightforward.

It is a lower cost pickup option for shippers that do not need a daily pickup. If a shipper ships more than $75 per week, there is no benefit, so it will only appeal to these smaller, lower revenue shippers.

It give them some lower cost alternatives to a daily pickup.

UPS will use its technology to offer this service. I'm positive there will be glitches at first. In the long run, it seems better to offer this choice than to force these shippers to pay the higher price.

May be worth holding off all the complaints until more facts are on the surface.

P-Man

cino321

As far as I know, the initiative is now called Smart Pickup (no longer green pickup).

It is a lower cost pickup option for shippers that do not need a daily pickup. If a shipper ships more than $75 per week, there is no benefit, so it will only appeal to these smaller, lower revenue shippers.

UPS will use its technology to offer this service. I'm positive there will be glitches at first. In the long run, it seems better to offer this choice than to force these shippers to pay the higher price.

May be worth holding off all the complaints until more facts are on the surface.

P-Man

Absolutely, less pick ups more stops!

You guys want to go green? Encourage customers to reuse cartons.

bad company

semi-pro

P-Man

I thought we called those Occasional Pick-up Accounts?

worldwide

http://www.ups.com/rates/UPS_3233_PUenhance_onlineSS_p6_mech.pdf

UPS Smart Pickup is a great deal for smaller customers--flat $10/week charge and when they ship, the UPS truck shows up for a pickup. Makes sense--reduces miles, greenhouse gas emissions, saves gas and will win new business from Fedex. Fedex Ground weekly service charge in 2010 will be $20 per week for accounts shipping less than $75/week. For customers that use a little Fedex Ground and a little Fedex Express, it will be less expensive to have one UPS truck come by and pick up both shipments.

"Re: Green Pickups are not a concern to drivers?" What about the CUSTOMER? Don't you think they wil be happy with this? Isn't winning new business a good thing?