Grievance filed over crummy uniforms

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
There have been several people on this forum--myself included---who have complained about the poor quality of the Twin Hill uniforms as well as the new company policy of only issuing 2 or 3 uniforms to each employee.

I got tired of griping and chose to do something about it. I filed a grievance over Article 16 of the Western Conference supplement which requires the company to provide and maintain our uniforms...since they are refusing to issue us an adequate supply of uniforms it is impossible for us to use the weekly laundry service that they are required to provide. It is my position that, at a minimum, the company should provide employees who do their own laundry with 6 complete sets of uniforms so that we dont have to go home and wash the same shirt and pair of shorts 4 times a week. An employee who wants to use the laundry service would need at least 10 sets or he would run out of clean uniforms before the service was scheduled to return. Also, since the new uniforms are defective and basically disposable, we need enough spares to keep us dressed while we are waiting for the torn ones to be exchanged. I also asked in my grievance that the company be required to exchange the defective items in a timely manner, instead of waiting weeks for some tight-assed bean counter to fit them into his "budget."

The really sad part about all of this....is that my time, my business agents time and my center managers time are all going to be wasted on an issue that should be as simple as filling out a form and recieving a decently made uniform as per the contract. I have been with UPS for over 21 years and until recently, uniform requests have been handled properly and in a routine everyday manner. It isnt rocket science, and it shouldnt have to be such an ordeal.

Overpaid Union Thug

I haven't filed a grievance yet but the last time I needed replacements it was taking way too long but I promptly received replacements after merely mentioning a grievance.

barnyard

KTM rider
I would have to count, but I think I have 8 long sleeve shirts, 6 or 8 shirt jacs, 6 or 8 shorts and 6 long pants.

Granted, I was an air driver and had 2 sets of each before I went FT. I think I got 10 total pants or shorts and 12 total shirts when I went FT. Since going FT, everytime I have ordered replacements, I have had to turn in the old ones (except stocking caps and belts).

I think we get laundry service in twice a week. I do mine at home.

I was kind of hoping that you were grieving the quality of the uniforms......

TB

New Englander

I would have to count, but I think I have 8 long sleeve shirts, 6 or 8 shirt jacs, 6 or 8 shorts and 6 long pants.

Granted, I was an air driver and had 2 sets of each before I went FT. I think I got 10 total pants or shorts and 12 total shirts when I went FT. Since going FT, everytime I have ordered replacements, I have had to turn in the old ones (except stocking caps and belts).

TB

Same here.

soberups

TB

Our laundry service shows up once a week. They take whatever is in the basket, and leave behind the clean uniforms that were picked up the previous week. You would need at least 10 sets if you wanted to use this service. Very few people even bother.

I dont mind doing my own laundry, but I want enough uniforms so that I can just wait until the weekend and do one big "brown load" instead of having to wash them every other day.

I did mention the poor quality of the uniforms in my grievance but I dont know whether that factor in and of itself is grievable. The company is probably entitled to buy us cheap crap, I just want to make them buy a lot of it so that I can have spares available while Im waiting for the defective stuffed to be replaced. Getting dressed for work in the morning shouldnt have to be an adventure or an ongoing hassle.

rod

Retired 22 years
It's sad that UPS can't even provide a decent quailty uniform nowdays. We bitched about alot of stuff in my days but uniforms wasn't one them. We always had as many shirts, pants, shorts and jackets as we needed. All you had to do was ask and within a couple of days you had them. Maybe they were a little too free with giving them out. I know when I retired I had a "Mountain" of stuff that I tried to turn back in but they didn't want it so I burned it at my retirment party:knockedout:

JustTired

free at last.......
When I started, we had a local cleaning service pick up our pants. I believe it was twice a week. When your pants came back in 2-3 days they were clean, pressed and any small holes were mended. They would even fix your shirts if you put them on the rack with a note (holes,missing buttons,etc.).

When it was turned over to Cintas, you were lucky if you ever seen your pants again. And forget about getting a shirt mended. I always figured that since (at least in this area) Cintas was supplying the uniforms (whatever make), they conveniently "lost" the old ones so they would make money on the new order.

Just another case of spending a dollar to save a dime. Not only did the local company lose the support of UPS, but the ensuing nightmare began. Wouldn't be surprised if some "bigshot" somewhere in the company had ties to Cintas. Maybe their wife owned the business or something.

I think this would be more effective as a nationwide grievance. But it has to start somewhere. At least someone is trying to take the bull by the horns.

dillweed

I have to agree with the drivers here. They are required to be neat, clean and professional looking at all times. They work long, long hours and should not have to come home and wash uniforms during the work week.

It would be interesting to see the reaction of management if several drivers showed up for work in dirty, wrinkled, sweat-stained browns one morning. Let's add some loose hems and a few broken fly zippers too.

Unfortunately, not one of you drivers would do it. You have pride in your appearance and just couldn't force yourselves to lower your standards. So you'll continue to come home, wash clothes while trying to spend quality time with your families and keep up your homes. Shame, shame UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This grievance, if nothing else, should serve as a wake-up call to UPS that we do in fact care about our appearance and the uniforms currently being issued do not meet our standards. As a public company, we do have to focus on the bottom line, but not at the expense of appearance
standards.

For those drivers who do not take advantage of the laundry service or for those centers where this service is no longer available, please be sure to document this expense when it comes to tax time. If you itemize, you can claim this expense (I use $10/week) under "non-reimbursed job expenses", along with socks, boots, gloves, etc. You can also deduct union dues.

I applaud Sober's efforts in bringing this situation to the attention of upper management.

Overpaid Union Thug

For me the worst thing is looking around at all the drivers in the morning and seeing that most of us are wearing shirts that are a different shade of brown than the shorts. Pathetic.

soberups

Interesting grievance . Are you going to settle it locally or ask your BA to push it up to a national panel?

I am going to let my BA make that call. I am hoping that it wouldnt need to get as far as a national panel, it will take forever to get resolved. It is a silly grievance and one that shouldnt even have to be filed in the first place. All it will take to resolve the problem on a national level is for someone in corporate with enough authority to write a memo instructing his underlings to comply with the contract and provide an adequate number of uniforms to each employee. There isnt any rocket science going on here.

New Englander

Just yesterday I had my pens fall out the bottom of the pocket on my newish (2 months old) jacket shirt. The seam came undone on the bottom of the pocket.

In 5 years that never happened to any of my other shirts.

soberups

For me the worst thing is looking around at all the drivers in the morning and seeing that most of us are wearing shirts that are a different shade of brown than the shorts. Pathetic.

Unfortunately I dont see where that is grievable. The contract is quite clear that the company must provide and maintain uniforms, and the maintainence requirement carries with it an implied minimum number of uniforms that must be issued. As far as the quality or appearance of those uniforms go, it is up to the company to decide what they want to pay for. If they feel that it is worth saving a few $$ to have employees wearing shorts and shirts of a different color, that is a business decision for them to make and for us to live with.

Hedley_Lamarr

I can't even get crummy uniforms in my center. I have two pairs of shorts, one pair of long pants, three short sleeve shirts, (all of which the logo is falling off,) and two long sleeve shirts that fit, (dropped 50lbs since I started.)

soberups

I can't even get crummy uniforms in my center. I have two pairs of shorts, one pair of long pants, three short sleeve shirts, (all of which the logo is falling off,) and two long sleeve shirts that fit, (dropped 50lbs since I started.)

Do what I did. File a grievance.