Grievance idea that could cost UPS Millions.

happyboy

Or at least make them change the policy of not only allowing drivers to work off the clock but actually encouraging them to do so. Over the years I have had more than one person in my management team say “you should come in early to make your day easier”. Look over the airs and set them up.
I want to get paid from the time I grab the diad and get edd, because I consider this to be work I’m holding a piece of ups equipment in my hand and I’m downloading the manifest, lets face it many of us arrive to work a few minutes early and grab the diad, get edd and at least scan thru the stops to see what’s ahead for us, many drivers in my building head to the truck and start sorting airs or helping the loader load or start to rearrange the load. A lot of drivers get in the package car 20 minutes ahead of the scheduled start time.

I’m sure this has been thought of many times before… if dozens of these grievances get filed nationwide they might have to do something about it.

If the union had contract language that stated drivers start time begins when he clocks in on the diad, I bet UPS would not allow drivers to get the diad and head for the boxline until the start time.

Oh and to fix the lunch hour issue the union should have the contract read the drivers lunch hour should be complete by the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hour of work or the member is to be paid $3 per minute for every minute of the lunch hour not taken by the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hour. This penalty payment is to be paid automatically without the member having to file or opt in.

When the company scoffs at the new proposed langue in the contract the union should say “ how come you don’t want the employees to take a lunch? Then call a press conference and make UPS out to be the bad guys.

Be safe out there.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Point number 1. You can file for unpaid work on behalf of the employee against UPS management allowing this to happen. Get a few of your co-workers to do this and you'll at least solve this issue short term.

Point number 2. There's already language to have drivers take mandatory lunches. Until management is forced to hold drivers accountable to not perform duties while on lunch this issue will never be resolved.

DS

Fenderbender
I kind of like your idea,but $3 a minute?
That's a $180 lunch.
I do agree that if you are going through your car early,
you should be paid for it,as long as you run close to scratch.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No one should be going through their package car early or performing any duties while off the clock, period. Wait until you get your face smashed in by a box of bolts in the 3000 section while you're massaging your load to see how quickly management will claim no liability for you, and more likely discipline you.

happyboy

well $3 is kinda high but thats a good place to start, the problem with the current language is that there is no teeth in it, I mean if you make it expensive for them maybe they will do the right thing.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
well $3 is kinda high but thats a good place to start, the problem with the current language is that there is no teeth in it, I mean if you make it expensive for them maybe they will do the right thing.

We need to quit blaming management. It comes down to drivers not working off the clock or working thru lunch.

BrownArmy

I'm not sure what grievance you want to file...

Is it the one where (someone) showed up early, organized their truck, etc.?

All the issue's you're upset about are easily remedied:

Show up five minutes before start time, grab your board, listen to the PCM, check your high-values, unlock your hand-truck (if you're a cover driver like me), do your Pre-Trip (please do a real Pre-Trip)...you know the drill, etc.

That's it.

No one is forcing drivers to work off the clock.

It's not molecular biology, rocket science, or theoretical time-travel.

menotyou

bella amicizia
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. But, the pressure to perform to the unrealistic number that they set and being pulled into the office and being over analyzed for every second of your day can be quite the incentive to work off the clock to get the target off your back.

Management has the ability to stop anyone from working off the clock. They should do so. Blaming some poor schmuck, like me, who has been berated to death isn't the answer.

TxRoadDawg

I had one of those IE types tell me once i should "take ownership" of an issue:greedy:. Translated he meant if no other part timer did it I should even if I had to off the clock. I had to bite my tongue not to advise him that if he wanted to screw someone I could recommend some ladies a few streets from the center instead of trying to screw me :devil3:

Ms.PacMan

The appropriate grievance is extra work. It can be filed by any person with more seniority than the person who is working.

We used to have a senior driver come in early and file extra work grievances on any driver who touched a package before his start time. No one will be allowed on the belt after these grievances.

I had one of those IE types tell me once i should "take ownership" of an issue:greedy:. Translated he meant if no other part timer did it I should even if I had to off the clock. I had to bite my tongue not to advise him that if he wanted to screw someone I could recommend some ladies a few streets from the center instead of trying to screw me :devil3:

If an I.E. person ever tells me to take ownership of a issue my reply will be "Ok, you're fired"

Inthegame

Oh and to fix the lunch hour issue the union should have the contract read the drivers lunch hour should be complete by the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hour of work...
Supplements vary but the Central Region language already states meal periods are required to be taken between the 3rd and 6th hour. As of July 1, 2013 the law prohibits driving unless a 30 min rest period is taken after 8 hours on duty.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Management will say little to nothing as it only benefits them. If you get hurt off the clock they won't come to your rescue. The fellers that do do this will suffer the consequences they have oh so surely earned.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No one is forcing anyone to do anything. But, the pressure to perform to the unrealistic number that they set and being pulled into the office and being over analyzed for every second of your day can be quite the incentive to work off the clock to get the target off your back.

Management has the ability to stop anyone from working off the clock. They should do so. Blaming some poor schmuck, like me, who has been berated to death isn't the answer.
I agree 100%, but once you give up hope you will feel much better.
I used to get berated daily. Since I no longer let it raise my ire, Im no fun anymore, and no one has said a word in months.
I know without a doubt, I do the best I can every day! Because all I want to do from the time I punch in, is go home.
They can berate me, ride with me, spy on me, its all the same. I may not be fast, and Im probably not the fastest horse in the barn, but Im one of the oldest, and Im arthritic......So fire me for age and physical condition. Lets see how that goes. I might suffer for a while on beans and weiners, but then Ill be eating caviar, and filet.
Their numbers are for optimum days, I see about 1 per yr. If all moons are aligned, all lights are green, all stops are exceptional, and pickups are 10 pds and there are 200 of them, Ill be a star. Til then all pickups are over 50, most are over 70, most I have to wait, or I get called back. Yet we cant put in our preload time when I load my truck for 30 minutes, so yes I should scurry all day to make up for that. In their dreams. End of rant, but if you are not screwing the company, you should be reprimanded or fired if you are, all you can do is your best. I dont have a set, but Im growing one, because I can only do what I do, and if it isnt good enough, they should buy me out, or fire me.

stink219

Or at least make them change the policy of not only allowing drivers to work off the clock but actually encouraging them to do so. Over the years I have had more than one person in my management team say “you should come in early to make your day easier”. Look over the airs and set them up.
I want to get paid from the time I grab the diad and get edd, because I consider this to be work I’m holding a piece of ups equipment in my hand and I’m downloading the manifest, lets face it many of us arrive to work a few minutes early and grab the diad, get edd and at least scan thru the stops to see what’s ahead for us, many drivers in my building head to the truck and start sorting airs or helping the loader load or start to rearrange the load. A lot of drivers get in the package car 20 minutes ahead of the scheduled start time.

I’m sure this has been thought of many times before… if dozens of these grievances get filed nationwide they might have to do something about it.

If the union had contract language that stated drivers start time begins when he clocks in on the diad, I bet UPS would not allow drivers to get the diad and head for the boxline until the start time.

Oh and to fix the lunch hour issue the union should have the contract read the drivers lunch hour should be complete by the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hour of work or the member is to be paid $3 per minute for every minute of the lunch hour not taken by the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] hour. This penalty payment is to be paid automatically without the member having to file or opt in.

When the company scoffs at the new proposed langue in the contract the union should say “ how come you don’t want the employees to take a lunch? Then call a press conference and make UPS out to be the bad guys.

Be safe out there.

ARTICLE 17. PAID FOR TIME
All employees covered by this Agreement shall be paid for all time spent in service of the Employer. Rates of pay provided for by this Agreement shall be minimums. Time shall be computed from the time that the employee is ordered to report for work and registers in and until the employee is effectively released from duty. All time lost due to delays as a result of overloads or certificate violations involving federal, state or city regulations, which occur through no fault of the driver, shall be paid for by the Employer.
The Employer will not allow employees to work prior to their start time without appropriate compensation.
Wages for properly selected vacations, in all instances, will be paid to the employees no later than the workday prior to their vacation. If the employee does not receive his/her vacation check, the Employer will make all reasonable efforts to provide the check the following day including delivery by Saturday or Next Day Air. Other shortages involving more than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full- time employees, and fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employ- ees, will be corrected and the payment will be made available to the employee at his/her reporting location on his/her second scheduled workday after reporting the shortage. If the Employer fails to make the payment available on the employee’s second scheduled workday and the shortage was the result of the Employer’s error, the employ- ee will be paid an additional amount equal to one-half (1/2) of his/her daily guarantee at his/her regular hourly rate for every full pay period in which the shortage is not paid after the second (2nd) scheduled work day, until corrected.
Errors of less than thirty dollars ($30.00) for full-time employees or fifteen dollars ($15.00) for part-time employees and overages will be corrected in the following weekly paycheck.

stink219

The best course of action I've found was to confront those that sort their trucks. You don't need to be an azzho about it. I explain that when they start early, the preload cuts PTs which effects their pay and it effects other FT drivers that start at the regular time in which their trucks will not be loaded because of PT's being cut. If that doesn't work grieve their time, I guarantee the Manager will put the kibosh on it quick.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I washed my own truck windows, this A.M., as well as the headlights and back lights, as I could not see and its not safe for me to drive. Imagine the suprise, when at 935, I am the last out of the building, and I pull out the hose.
I should probably let the stewards know that I did carwash work, Seriously. While my mgmt team looked on from afar, in horror, the one thing I know is, if I rock and roll, look left right left, but I cant see a damn thing, and I have a crash, it will be my fault. Ultimately It is my job to make sure I am safe. I should have cleaned my windows, etc, If I have a wreck and say it was because my truck was dirty, so I eliminated that factor. Im a professional driver, and I guarantee my own darn truck never gets this dirty.
I cant "make them see me". If I cant see them. I cant keep space around my vehicle, if I cant see out my side door.
When I started at UPS, I worked on the car wash for a time, we never had filthy pig sty trucks on the road like now. I find it appalling. I wont do it.
When I get the message that the sun is getting low, blah, blah, stay focused, I want to write back and say "too bad I cant see out my mirrors, coz they and my windows are filthy, but I dont as it will not help. A few more days of mgmt training on, If I cant see I cant be safe, how about letting the car wash come to work and do a service to their community.
And its not like I didnt follow the chain of command. I told the car wash sup, and he said, and I quote "we are going to try and get the fronts of all trucks tonight" , Obviously they didnt make it down the line to me. I asked the mechanic for shop towels in the am, he didnt have any. I asked the preload sup to give me some paper towels, he gave me 3.
So it is what it is, you have to look out for yourself.