Ground Contractors ** Alexander vs FedEx- Checks are in the mail

Winefer2

About frigging time - took many years and we finally received our settlement checks ... Walking away with 275,000.00 ....... and additional payments coming in January ..

bacha29

About frigging time - took many years and we finally received our settlement checks ... Walking away with 275,000.00 ....... and additional payments coming in January ..
Happy for you guy especially when you consider the fact that the largest settlement in the Willis vs. Fedex case ("east coast') was $45,600 If that wasn't bad enough the same law firm represented the plaintiffs in both cases. However , they partitioned the court for the maximum allowable attorney's fee which was 30% In the Alexander case ('west coast') they were awarded around 22% but for the ("east coast') settlement they were awarded the maximum. But, keep something in mind. If they flipped you a 1099 throwing it all into 2017 then by January 15, 2018 you will need to send in an estimated tax voucher. If you are filing married joint and there is no other reported income for 2017 I believe that you should send in at least $60,000 and send in one to your state department of revenue based on whatever state income tax may apply in the state in which you live.

Mutineer

As a former contractor, I consider this award not for lunch, overtime, etc. But for all the capricious, ridiculous, nonsensical, micro-managing problems FedEx needlessly and sadistically created for their contractors to respond to. And then sit back and demand we scurry and solve. Or else! It was bullying. And as such, a complete disregard for well deserved respect.

dvalleyjim

My check was 12,000.00 less than they said Judge Chen had adjusted my payment too. Where do you see that additional payments are coming?

bacha29

My check was 12,000.00 less than they said Judge Chen had adjusted my payment too. Where do you see that additional payments are coming?
According to what I've read that if there's any unclaimed money left in the pool there will be a second round of distributions but don't expect it be anymore than perhaps a few hundred bucks per claimant .

dvalleyjim

I'm calling the lawyers tomorrow. They had a serial objector come in at the end, represented by some ambulance chasing law firm. All of a sudden the case is dismissed. With the Tax plan being passed and starting in 2018 these law firms wanted to get this done this year so they wouldn't get stuck with 13% CA taxes they can no longer deduct off their federal returns. They settled with the objector and the ambulance chasers. Now their trying to recoup their losses by skimming from the class. Call me a cynic, but I don't like lawyers. Been sued 3 times and they a sharks.

dvalleyjim

Got a signed lawyer letter, with Judge Chen saying I'm getting 185,000 on lawyer letter head stationary. My check was for 173,000. Where's my other 12,000 law dawgs?

bbsam

Staff member
I'm calling the lawyers tomorrow. They had a serial objector come in at the end, represented by some ambulance chasing law firm. All of a sudden the case is dismissed. With the Tax plan being passed and starting in 2018 these law firms wanted to get this done this year so they wouldn't get stuck with 13% CA taxes they can no longer deduct off their federal returns. They settled with the objector and the ambulance chasers. Now their trying to recoup their losses by skimming from the class. Call me a cynic, but I don't like lawyers. Been sued 3 times and they a sharks.
If it weren't for lawyers, you'd be getting nothing.

And that's the world of class action suits.

bacha29

Got a signed lawyer letter, with Judge Chen saying I'm getting 185,000 on lawyer letter head stationary. My check was for 173,000. Where's my other 12,000 law dawgs?
Did you receive a 1099 with your check? If so then what was the reported amount? 173 or 185. The figure posted on the 1099 is all that matters. Feel fortunate that you're going away with an amount of money far in excess of the "east coast" settlement. You guys had the good fortune of having Judge Chen hear your settlement proposal. The east coast guys had Judge Miller. The very same judge who in 2010 ruled that we were all 'independent contractor" . He wasn't about to rule against X and contradict himself. He sent me a letter explaining his decision which he was really doing. nothing more than daring the plaintiffs to take the case before a federal appeals court. But again it wasn't all his fault. Clearly the named plaintiffs were under pressure from Leonard Carder to accept the pittance of a settlement because LC wanted to rid themselves of the matter and still cash out the highest percentage fee.