Ground guys question

StuffItFred

I know nothing about your guys "system" but just curious how it works on pickups.

I have regular delivery to one of the largest Mercedes Benz dealers every day I go there with at least 10-20 pieces. For the past THREE weeks I have delivered there has been 9 ground pkgs sitting there "waiting" on the ground driver to pickup. The parts department manager asked me today if I would just take the pkgs off his hands because "he is tired of the ground drivers bs excuse as to why he cannot take them. Call tags, etc etc." He has called the 800 number numerous times and every time he said the ground driver comes and leaves without them.
I am just curious how this particular driver can just leave the pkgs and refuse to pick them up now for three weeks now? The ground guy delivers AND picks up in the evening but refuses to take the pkgs. sure there are 8 tires going back to Bridgestone and one small box. The ground driver is one smug prick in this area but I would think something could be done about this.
It looks like I will just end up picking up the pkgs and taking them to our station for the SAME ground driver to pick up in the evening.

STFXG

Sounds like he has bad barcodes on them. If not he should call the 1800 number and complain. Rather than whine for 3 weeks he should do something about it...

StuffItFred

Sounds like he has bad barcodes on them. If not he should call the 1800 number and complain. Rather than whine for 3 weeks he should do something about it...

Well, according to the parts manager he has called the 800number and has complained and was told Friday that the driver WOULD pick it up. Which he didn't.
I just was curious if he is able to just "refuse" to pick up the pkgs. Seems to me the driver could avoid the problem and just take them? But again, I do not know your "system".

STFXG

Something doesn't add up. He gets paid for taking those packages. There's no reason to leave them. Dunno...

bbsam

Staff member
If they are waiting on call tags, then of course he can't pick them up. Fedex has to get paid. Sounds like the barcodes are from the delivery, not pickup end of things. Sounds like the shipper (thus the call tag issuer) is trying to get them returned by having them "refused" after the fact.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Something doesn't add up. He gets paid for taking those packages. There's no reason to leave them. Dunno...

It sounds as though the shipper is not waiting for call tags but is instead trying to refuse the packages after the fact. I will accept refusals no matter when they were delivered as long as the packages have not been opened. The Ground driver should do the right thing and take care of the customer.

bbsam

Staff member
It sounds as though the shipper is not waiting for call tags but is instead trying to refuse the packages after the fact. I will accept refusals no matter when they were delivered as long as the packages have not been opened. The Ground driver should do the right thing and take care of the customer.

I accept them for boxes driver reeleased. Businesses or signature required...not so much. There seems to be a discrepancy in what you say. The right thing is to wait for the call tags. We don't provide shipping services for free.

STFXG

That's what I meant by something doesn't add up. I was thinking the same about the tags. And we can get in trouble for refusing after the fact. It's a liability issue if it has been opened and something has been taken out and retaped. Not worth the risk...

STFXG

And the only way to do it after the fact is to scan it as a misdelivered package picked up. Then scan as a misdelivered package redelivered. Then code it as refused. But since it wasn't misdelivered that becomes an integrity issue which we can be terminated for.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I RTS a pkg after it has been delivered I simply sheet it as Refused, Doesn't Want.

bbsam, if the consignee tells me they are waiting for call tags then decides to refuse them I will politely tell them that we will wait for the call tags.

HomeDelivery

OP, verify if those barcodes/labels are returns to shipper... then I would advise them to drop those parcels at a local FedEx Office & file a legit complaint for the Ground guy not doing his job.

I had one business customer @ a local hotel over the summer who waited for a whole week for Ground to pick up a parcel. I verified it's a returns label, called the Ground hub if i, HD, can take this for them since Ground hasn't done it over a week... they OKed it since i can scan their barcode & code it as a Call Tag pickup. with the new scanner/p~up listing option that rolled out this month, i can add it to that now

bbsam

Staff member
If I RTS a pkg after it has been delivered I simply sheet it as Refused, Doesn't Want.

bbsam, if the consignee tells me they are waiting for call tags then decides to refuse them I will politely tell them that we will wait for the call tags.

But is the responsibility of the shipper to send out the call tags. When we allow them to be returned without the call tag as refused as is protocol, aren't we in essence stealing from the company?

Glorifiedpackmule

I can't speak for Ground but if it were an Express shipment that the Customer didn't want or whatever the situation we would be expected to pick it up. I would just scan it as a RTS and let it be on its way. Send the bill to the shipper. FedEx will get their money one way or another.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I see this all the time.
Exact same scenario.
Customer has O.B. frt., has called Ground to pup, and it will sit there for a week while the Ground guy walks right passed it every day.

barnyard

KTM rider
I see this all the time.
Exact same scenario.
Customer has O.B. frt., has called Ground to pup, and it will sit there for a week while the Ground guy walks right passed it every day.

Just saw it on Monday. I was helping our regular guy at a pick up, he was bulked out and I took 70 or so pieces. While there, the Fed Ex ground guy delivered (it was 16:45) and took off. After we got done picking up our stuff, I noticed 4 packages sitting on the floor. I asked about them and they said, "Those are Fed Ex ground packages." I could not figure out why the dude that just delivered did not pick them up. Warehouse peeps said, "That's just the way it is. They will sit for a few days and one day they will be gone."

I looked at the regular guy and he said, "That is pretty much why we have this account."

Wow.

bbsam

Staff member
We hear every morning if a pickup is missed, late, or early. There is more going on than we are hearing.

overflowed

I see this every single day as well. Actually I have a question for ground guys. Why do you refuse to take airbills? Can you not process them or something? bbsam? maybe you know?