Ground owners get ready to drive again

Working4the1%

Attachments

• ADC0C86B-0166-4EF7-B9C3-67FC56F61983.png
    ADC0C86B-0166-4EF7-B9C3-67FC56F61983.png
    620.8 KB · Views: 71

MassWineGuy

An Amazon driver I spoke with yesterday said he typically has about 100 or so stops a day. Mainly pretty close together.

When I first approached I suggested that he turn his vehicle off when he wasn’t in it.

dmac1

Amazon makes profit on the selling of the products. They don't need to profit on the delivery side. Si they can afford to pay more for drivers, certainly compared to what ground contractors can afford to pay. Once amazon get warehouses in enough locations to serve the entire country efficiently, they WILL begin taking customers from Fedex, and UPS who don't actually sell products through Amazon.

bacha29

Amazon makes profit on the selling of the products. They don't need to profit on the delivery side. Si they can afford to pay more for drivers, certainly compared to what ground contractors can afford to pay. Once amazon get warehouses in enough locations to serve the entire country efficiently, they WILL begin taking customers from Fedex, and UPS who don't actually sell products through Amazon.
This entire process will take time. The nation's population only grew 7.1% total over the past decade and out of a country of 330 million only 17 million are ages 12-15 and an average of 10,000 boomer a day will continue to march off to retirement over the next decade The down side of E-Commerce is that it requires an ocean of cheap labor especially at the back end of the transaction. Labor shortages beginning in certain parts of the country after the pandemic is over is a real possibility and is likely to spread to other parts. Talked to a manger at my former terminal this AM and asked how it was going...." Severely short handed every damn day" was his answer.

Now Bsam and IWBF might not see it for awhile but in my locale it was already starting to happen 6 years ago when I chose not to expand. I was 62 years old needed new replacement body parts and among the few people willing to come in and drive for the pittance I could pay none were the type of people with whom I could entrust my economic affairs to . As for the people who stayed and expanded....well, at first they were grinning like a butcher's dog at the prospect of making bank but they didn't last long and for the very same reasons why I abstained from expansion.

You're never going to make dedicated professional operators out of burger flippers and job drifters. Even more so if you pay burger flipper wages. if you can get by with 3 men to a truck turnover....that's fine but don't expect it to go on forever because the demographic numbers are not supportive of a continued practice.

bacha29

This entire process will take time. The nation's population only grew 7.1% total over the past decade and out of a country of 330 million only 17 million are ages 12-15 and an average of 10,000 boomer a day will continue to march off to retirement over the next decade The down side of E-Commerce is that it requires an ocean of cheap labor especially at the back end of the transaction. Labor shortages beginning in certain parts of the country after the pandemic is over is a real possibility and is likely to spread to other parts. Talked to a manger at my former terminal this AM and asked how it was going...." Severely short handed every damn day" was his answer.

Now Bsam and IWBF might not see it for awhile but in my locale it was already starting to happen 6 years ago when I chose not to expand. I was 62 years old needed new replacement body parts and among the few people willing to come in and drive for the pittance I could pay none were the type of people with whom I could entrust my economic affairs to . As for the people who stayed and expanded....well, at first they were grinning like a butcher's dog at the prospect of making bank but they didn't last long and for the very same reasons why I abstained from expansion.

You're never going to make dedicated professional operators out of burger flippers and job drifters. Even more so if you pay burger flipper wages. if you can get by with 3 men to a truck turnover....that's fine but don't expect it to go on forever because the demographic numbers are not supportive of a continued practice.
Correction would NEVER entrust them with. There were known for past incidences of domestic violence and drug abuse. I wasn't about to hire them but they did and it was only a matter a time until quite a number of them failed random drug tests or never went to them period or up on additional domestic related charges.

bbsam

Staff member

You really don’t understand the direction that Ground is heading.

etruckbiz. I suggest you educate yourself if you want your opinions to be somewhat informed. If not, carry on.

It will be fine

I dunno why anyone would ever drive for FXG when UPS and Amazon are out there. It’s so easy to get into package these days.
Amazon pays worse than Ground in my area and is total chaos from an operation standpoint. UPS still has the inside part time work requirements and driving for them is a much harder job with no chance at a social life.

allahuakbar

She/Her
Amazon pays worse than Ground in my area and is total chaos from an operation standpoint. UPS still has the inside part time work requirements and driving for them is a much harder job with no chance at a social life.
Yeah I’m in a little more densely populated area it’s very rare that you need to work in the hub at all if ever. Amazon drivers are getting 20 an hour.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
So, you hire socialites...

And that blur in your rear view about to pass you?? That would be Amazon.