Ground Packages to Express

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Makaveli made a great post where he mentioned that Ground packages could theoretically go over to Express under the new combined opcos scenario. I asked if this meant that Fedex would be "stealing" packages that legally belong to the Ground contractor because said contractor owns the routes.

Nobody answered.

I'm no longer at FedEx, so I don't know if this is happening yet, or if it's in the planning stages. So, maybe a Ground contractor can answer me. What happens when the Ground package for 1234 Main Street is shifted over to Express? Isn't that legally a package that "belongs" to the contractor, and doesn't the contractor control the destiny of that package? I wouldn't want my revenue stream diverted to Express.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Makaveli made a great post where he mentioned that Ground packages could theoretically go over to Express under the new combined opcos scenario. I asked if this meant that Fedex would be "stealing" packages that legally belong to the Ground contractor because said contractor owns the routes.

Nobody answered.

I'm no longer at FedEx, so I don't know if this is happening yet, or if it's in the planning stages. So, maybe a Ground contractor can answer me. What happens when the Ground package for 1234 Main Street is shifted over to Express? Isn't that legally a package that "belongs" to the contractor, and doesn't the contractor control the destiny of that package? I wouldn't want my revenue stream diverted to Express.
Why would FedEx do something that would cost them MORE revenue?

Please, let's leave Mak out of this, and keep the conversation intelligent.

It will be fine

Nobody answered.

Contractors have the right to service all Ground packages in their area. If the shipper sends it Ground it can’t be diverted to another delivery company unless there is some type of failure by the contractor. It would also be insane to increase the cost to deliver Ground packages.

bacha29

Nobody answered.

Ground contractors have what is called "proprietary rights" and diverting a Ground box back to Express could conceivably be a violation of those "proprietary rights" .But, again when you have no legal recourse , no due process , those so called rights don't mean thing. As i said in another post while you may have some limited and small in number "rights" you have no POWER with which to exercise and effect those rights.

MAKAVELI

Contractors have the right to service all Ground packages in their area. If the shipper sends it Ground it can’t be diverted to another delivery company unless there is some type of failure by the contractor. It would also be insane to increase the cost to deliver Ground packages.
We've already been through this. You don't own the PKG, you own the right to service a specific area. You're more than welcome to post the Proprietary language that states Ground packages cannot be diverted to Express.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Why would FedEx do something that would cost them MORE revenue?

Please, let's leave Mak out of this, and keep the conversation intelligent.

Insults aside, I did pose the hypothetical, but someone else mentioned Express delivering Ground, not me. Not all packages generate revenue BTW, some are delivered at a loss in order to provide services to almost everywhere. Rural routes are especially problematic in this regard. Lots of miles between packages translates to low SPH/density.

I can see sending the Express courier out with some Ground and vice versa, especially in rural areas. My point is who legally "owns" that package? If it is tendered as Ground, or Express for that matter, it should stay within the sphere of that carrier, especially when Ground contractors own the routes and service area rights, at least in theory.

It will be fine

We've already been through this. You don't own the PKG, you own the right to service a specific area. You're more than welcome to post the Proprietary language that states Ground packages cannot be diverted to Express.
We’ve been over the fact you don’t know what you’re talking about.

bacha29

We’ve been over the fact you don’t know what you’re talking about.
And we've also been over the fact that X has and will continue to do whatever they damn well please and nobody including you can do an expletive deleted thing to stop them. Why? because and we've been over this before your contract does NOT contain sufficient language to empower you to do anything to stop them from doing whatever they want whenever they want to whomever they want including YOU.

It will be fine

And we've also been over the fact that X has and will continue to do whatever they damn well please and nobody including you can do an expletive deleted thing to stop them. Why? because and we've been over this before your contract does NOT contain sufficient language to empower you to do anything to stop them from doing whatever they want whenever they want to whomever they want including YOU.
Ok. You assume I want to stop them from doing something. The money clears every Friday.

bacha29

Ok. You assume I want to stop them from doing something. The money clears every Friday.
And even if the money didn't clear on Friday there ain't a damn thing you can do about it. Likewise if they unilaterally decided to cut your rates by 25% or take 25% your volume off of you and rebrand it as 2 or 3 day Express ....again there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

It will be fine

And even if the money didn't clear on Friday there ain't a damn thing you can do about it. Likewise if they unilaterally decided to cut your rates by 25% or take 25% your volume off of you and rebrand it as 2 or 3 day Express ....again there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.
It’s called risk. You need a risk tolerance to run a business. I view both those fever dreams as low risk, I’m not worried about it.

bacha29

It’s called risk. You need a risk tolerance to run a business. I view both those fever dreams as low risk, I’m not worried about it.
Of course you're not going to worry about it because there ain't an expletive deleted thing you can do about it. The only thing you can do is HOPE that Fat Freddy will think about you and your interests when charting his company's forward path.

Good luck with that.

And after taking a 91% cut in base salary rest assured he's going to want his money back in due time and he ain't going to give a flying face copulation about where or from whom it comes from.

It will be fine

Of course you're not going to worry about it because there ain't an expletive deleted thing you can do about it. The only thing you can do is HOPE that Fat Freddy will think about you and your interests when charting his company's forward path.

Good luck with that.

And after taking a 91% cut in base salary rest assured he's going to want his money back in due time and he ain't going to give a flying face copulation about where or from whom it comes from.
I have no expectation that FedEx cares about my interests. You view everything through the lens of an employee. That’s why you didn’t build a business. You don’t understand the relationship.

bacha29

I have no expectation that FedEx cares about my interests. You view everything through the lens of an employee. That’s why you didn’t build a business. You don’t understand the relationship.
That's the entire point. All you have is this fantasy "relationship" with X that has you foolishly believing that you because of your "relationship" (LMFAO) it is what will save you going forward in these tumultuous times.

The contents of the document you signed IS your "relationship" and there is absolutely nothing in it that requires that company to do anything except what is in it's own best interest no matter how deeply in love you are with them . So prepare to have your heart broken.

If you are as you claim a person who knows how to "build a business" you if anyone should know that when it comes down to "building a business" it all comes to down to the printed page and the language it contains.

It will be fine

That's the entire point. All you have is this fantasy "relationship" with X that has you foolishly believing that you because of your "relationship" (LMFAO) it is what will save you going forward in these tumultuous times.

The contents of the document you signed IS your "relationship" and there is absolutely nothing in it that requires that company to do anything except what is in it's own best interest no matter how deeply in love you are with them . So prepare to have your heart broken.

If you are as you claim a person who knows how to "build a business" you if anyone should know that when it comes down to "building a business" it all comes to down to the printed page and the language it contains.
Apparently you don’t even understand the word relationship. In this context I am talking about a contractual business relationship.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I If it is tendered as Ground, or Express for that matter, it should stay within the sphere of that carrier

From the FedEx shipping guide:

14.1 FedEx reserves the right to route the Shipment in any way it deems appropriate. There are no transit places, which are agreed upon at the time of tender of the Shipment. FedEx assumes no obligation to reroute any Shipment to a third country or carry the Shipment by any specified aircraft or over any particular route or to make connection at any point according to any schedules. FedEx may, without notice, substitute alternate carrier or aircraft, deviate from the route or routes, or cause the Shipment to be transported by motor vehicle. The Sender agrees to FedEx's right to divert any Shipment (including use of other carriers) in order to facilitate its delivery.

Doesn't matter which opco you choose as long as the service commitment is met for the agreed upon price.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
That's the entire point. All you have is this fantasy "relationship" with X

Good grief. All you have are ridiculous far-fetched hypothetical scenarios of "If this happens, if that happens, if something else happens, etc." Why don't you talk to him about the actual issues he deals with as a multi-route owner?

Oh wait...

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
From the FedEx shipping guide:

14.1 FedEx reserves the right to route the Shipment in any way it deems appropriate. There are no transit places, which are agreed upon at the time of tender of the Shipment. FedEx assumes no obligation to reroute any Shipment to a third country or carry the Shipment by any specified aircraft or over any particular route or to make connection at any point according to any schedules. FedEx may, without notice, substitute alternate carrier or aircraft, deviate from the route or routes, or cause the Shipment to be transported by motor vehicle. The Sender agrees to FedEx's right to divert any Shipment (including use of other carriers) in order to facilitate its delivery.

Doesn't matter which opco you choose as long as the service commitment is met for the agreed upon price.

OK, so what happens when you divert a shipment that "belongs" to a Ground contractor to Express? I don't have a Ground contract in front of me, but wouldn't diversion be taking a package away from the Ground contractor who has the rights to deliver Ground packages in a given area?

Example: A customer goes to FedEx Office and sends a Ground package to 123 Elm Street, Anytown, USA. FedEx decides to route it through the Express network and have an Express driver deliver it. Haven't you just deprived the Ground contractor who has the rights to 123 Elm Street of "their" package?

Again, I have no Ground contract as a reference, but I doubt Service Guide language overrides a legal contact.

McFeely

Huge Member
I remember it mentioned in the other thread, but cannot remember the WHY: Why was Express possibly going to haul some packages for Ground?

Seems like it would be more expensive to do without a very good reason to do such. Are Ground drivers having problems getting packages delivered? They aren't in my area.

bacha29

Apparently you don’t even understand the word relationship. In this context I am talking about a contractual business relationship.
And a contractual business relationship is only as good as the language on the printed page and what it says. And you have absolutely nothing to say about what goes on that printed page.