Ground Pickup on Express Route

In the past week I've been asked by customers to take ground packages because they don't show up for called in pickup. I tell them I can't, what does everyone else with Express do when asked to take ground pickups

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
I think everyone else politely explains to the customer that while they would be delighted to accept the package that's been languishing there for days on end, it would simply be the wrong thing to do, as doing so would be tantamount to stealing money directly out of some poor Ground guy's pocket.

Yup

BoxDriver

Don't take them. There's only two ways this can go. Either the customer is screwing up on scheduling the pickup, or there's a contractor out there that's gonna be screwed by FedEx if they are complaining to FedEx that nobody came to do the pickup. Usually the problem on the scheduling side. Either way Express picking them up only makes it take longer to solve the problem.

Star B

White Lightening
In the past week I've been asked by customers to take ground packages because they don't show up for called in pickup. I tell them I can't, what does everyone else with Express do when asked to take ground pickups
"Oh, I called it in, REALLY i did!!! I prooomise!!'

I only touch ground if it's in a dropbox. Leave it outside the drop box and it's going to sit with a note "Please take me to a Walgreens/FXO/local Pack'n'Ship, as FedEx Express cannot accept this package".

Other than that, nope, call the 800 number and bitch. Maybe after enough customers leave Ground pissed off Memphis might rethink having two seperate workgroups.

Who the heck am I kidding, they will just force Express to take Ground packages via Frontline or something.

It will be fine

Had a customer this week with a couple express envelopes that sat there for at least 3 days. I said, "I'm Ground, that's Express." and walked away. It's not hard, I did have to say it 3 days in a row though.

Indecisi0n

This is by far the biggest mistake FedEx has made but I understand why they do it.

Even as a UPS driver I am asked constantly "can you take air"? I answer if it's UPS I can take anything UPS. I have had customers take FedEx ground and relabel to us.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This is by far the biggest mistake FedEx has made but I understand why they do it.

Even as a UPS driver I am asked constantly "can you take air"? I answer if it's UPS I can take anything UPS. I have had customers take FedEx ground and relabel to us.

You've matured so much

Since taking on the role of moderator

Thank You

overflowed

What's to explain? It's literally a 2 second explanation as you're walking away.
See when I was at Express I really tried not to act like the ground guys. I will give a good explanation why ground drivers act like asshats. Once. Then they never have to ask another express driver again. I had quite a few accounts go to express just by doing that. Wasn't my initial intention though. I kind of understand also, you guys are servicing someone elses customers. They are our customers. I think a big difference mentally.

It will be fine

See when I was at Express I really tried not to act like the ground guys. I will give a good explanation why ground drivers act like asshats. Once. Then they never have to ask another express driver again. I had quite a few accounts go to express just by doing that. Wasn't my initial intention though. I kind of understand also, you guys are servicing someone elses customers. They are our customers. I think a big difference mentally.
Fair point, I don't really care. If they want a good explanation they can call sales. Sitting around explaining stuff doesn't pay the bills.

fdxsux

I take Express stuff and hide it in my truck for two weeks.

Yeah right. Like I drive a truck.
When I find ground in the drop box I usually leave it there for a week or so before I begrudgingly take it to the station so the ground guy can pick it up.

bbsam

Staff member
When I find ground in the drop box I usually leave it there for a week or so before I begrudgingly take it to the station so the ground guy can pick it up.
Doesn't matter to me. Until we scan it, we don't have it. If the customer can't read the instructions and it causes a two week delay, better luck next time.