Ground Stepping-Up Hiring Through Temp Agencies

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
One has to wonder why they would only be seeking temporary drivers. Maybe it's "try before you buy". And they are paying BIG bucks too.

bbsam

Staff member
Interesting. I thought previously that it was because of a potential UPS strike. Must be something else. They always do it around Christmas to ensure service. Not sure what's coming, but it can't be small.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Interesting. I thought previously that it was because of a potential UPS strike. Must be something else. They always do it around Christmas to ensure service. Not sure what's coming, but it can't be small.

That's what I was thinking too. It has to be something else, perhaps the long-awaited switchover.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
I just heard on another thread that the switchover is a done deal. Too many hypothetical things have come into alignment.

Nick9075

They've always hired temps through a temp agency. No benefits. Can let them go without issues.

That may work when the unemployment rate is 7.xx% but it won't when the rate falls to 5.xx% likely by end of next year. besides who hires these temps? the terminal or the individual contractor. I am in the NYC region and never heard of it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Terminal hires to ensure service

OK, but why resort to temp agencies? Aren't potential drivers beating-down the doors for a chance to work for Ground? Also, why is FedEx doing the advertising for people who aren't supposed to be employees anyway? Shouldn't the contractor being paying for this and placing the ads? Just another example of the FedEx Corporation pulling the strings and running the show.

STFXG

Like I said before. No benefits and the ability to get rid of them. They work for fedex not the contractors. They cover additional volume when needed. They don't have them at my building but I've seen the ads and talked to the recruiter in my area. It doesn't really make sense to me the need for them since we are supposed to be responsible for our areas. In ISP states where the ISP can refuse additional volume it does make sense.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Like I said before. No benefits and the ability to get rid of them. They work for fedex not the contractors. They cover additional volume when needed. They don't have them at my building but I've seen the ads and talked to the recruiter in my area. It doesn't really make sense to me the need for them since we are supposed to be responsible for our areas. In ISP states where the ISP can refuse additional volume it does make sense.

They work for FedEx? Wow, now that is very interesting. This explains the "temp" aspect because if they were actually hired, they would be bona fide employees. What an interesting way to work the scam. Isn't the volume they deliver also volume (and revenue) taken away from you? It would appear that you are also being scammed. Welcome to FedEx.

STFXG

We have to approve them taking the volume away from our routes. It's basically for when a route is blown up and a contractor either can't fit everything on the truck or doesn't have an extra driver. They offer to handle the volume using their temp driver. So you can either give it to them or fail service.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have to approve them taking the volume away from our routes. It's basically for when a route is blown up and a contractor either can't fit everything on the truck or doesn't have an extra driver. They offer to handle the volume using their temp driver. So you can either give it to them or fail service.

Who gets to choose which part(s) of the route goes to the temp driver? If it is the contractor, wouldn't it make sense to dump the low revenue residential chaser stops in lieu of retaining the high density/revenue commercial bulk stops?