Ground to DHL

zeev

Ran into a DHL driver, told me how happy he was to start at $27. Hr top at $35. Benefits pension . Said his brother had lured him from Ground where he was a driver. His volume had gone up 70% during the virus and they refused to increase his day rate. Now he wonders why he stayed at Ground as long as he did.

AB831

Ran into a DHL driver, told me how happy he was to start at $27. Hr top at $35. Benefits pension . Said his brother had lured him from Ground where he was a driver. His volume had gone up 70% during the virus and they refused to increase his day rate. Now he wonders why he stayed at Ground as long as he did.
Fat Freddy puts a considerable amount of effort into brainwashing people to think that they can never do better than serving him.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Fat Freddy puts a considerable amount of effort into brainwashing people to think that they can never do better than serving him.
I'd rather shovel horse smile* for 8 hours a day than go back to FedEx.

Fat Freddy is just a bloodsucker who wants your soul.

AB831

I'd rather shovel horse smile* for 8 hours a day than go back to FedEx.

Fat Freddy is just a bloodsucker who wants your soul.
It’s amazing how many times I would hear people say “where else are you gonna go to make $29 an hour, at least we have good benefits, etc.” or an assortment of mental gymnastics to convince themselves they can’t do any better. The amount of energy management puts to brainwash people into thinking this is unbelievable.

Artee

Considering that DHL has literally no presence in the US anymore and you see maybe 1 DHL driver every 3 weeks, I have no idea how they can be paying that high of hourly rate. I worked for them 30 years ago when they were a much bigger deal in the US and they were behind FDX pay at that time.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Considering that DHL has literally no presence in the US anymore and you see maybe 1 DHL driver every 3 weeks, I have no idea how they can be paying that high of hourly rate. I worked for them 30 years ago when they were a much bigger deal in the US and they were behind FDX pay at that time.
DHL sucks.jpg

Is this what did them in?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
No domestic freight, only the highly lucrative international stuff. Looks like they found their niche in the U.S.

Flaco50

What did them in was buying Airborne Express for their ground service (contractors), I worked for them 15 years until '03 When they showed us the door via video Labor Day weekend. They started losing money that day as customers were not pleased with airborne drivers.

bacha29

What did them in was buying Airborne Express for their ground service (contractors), I worked for them 15 years until '03 When they showed us the door via video Labor Day weekend. They started losing money that day as customers were not pleased with airborne drivers.
I read something to the effect that they were losing around 600 million dollars a year trying to do ground box but were so bad at it that they started flying ground box just to get to their destination in an acceptable time.

zeev

DHL tried to enter the domestic market but could not get enough volume to be profitable. With a network you have to build it first than find the volume. Today more volume than capacity out there.

Gone fishin

DHL tried to enter the domestic market but could not get enough volume to be profitable. With a network you have to build it first than find the volume. Today more volume than capacity out there.
That’s not true as I went through the entire thing. We had too much freight because we under bid both ups and Fedx by more than half. Our trucks were plugged everyday. I worked at a teamster station and we added many routes
We were losing a million a day , but if they just would of charged more per package the transition would of been successful. Poor strategy and management were the cause

DriverNerd

That’s not true as I went through the entire thing. We had too much freight because we under bid both ups and Fedx by more than half. Our trucks were plugged everyday. I worked at a teamster station and we added many routes
We were losing a million a day , but if they just would of charged more per package the transition would of been successful. Poor strategy and management were the cause
I remember when UPS lost their giant but light box accounts because DHL was charging so much less (no dim weight I believe). We were wondering how a company could survive filling an entire semi for a couple bucks.

Mutineer

I was at Airborne for the beginning of that boondoggle. DHL talked a big game that they couldn't back up.
Driving for Airborne wasn't a terrible job. But it wasn't a 'good' job, either. DHL promptly began treating the former Airborne drivers like crap. And predictably, the people with route knowledge found other jobs.

Within two years, the station I was familiar with, the driver turnover got to the point that the people training the new drivers weren't much more knowledgeable than the people they were training. The blind were leading the blind.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I was at Airborne for the beginning of that boondoggle. DHL talked a big game that they couldn't back up.
Driving for Airborne wasn't a terrible job. But it wasn't a 'good' job, either. DHL promptly began treating the former Airborne drivers like crap. And predictably, the people with route knowledge found other jobs.

Within two years, the station I was familiar with, the driver turnover got to the point that the people training the new drivers weren't much more knowledgeable than the people they were training. The blind were leading the blind.
I remember when all that was going down leading up to our supposed acquisition of their Ground network. I remember when they were down sizing and consolidating their hubs, the driver in my area went from being 15 miles away to 60 miles away along with only the top seniority guys working.