Ground to Express. Worth it?

BoxStomper69

Goldmember
Almost 10 years, no accidents, no (formal :laugh:) complaints. I have an in-law and his father that are at Express. They say they don't like to hire Ground drivers and I understand in a way, but they said they would definitely make an exception. Is it worth making the leap? I'm happy where I'm at but a new contractor has taken over and I have lost health benefits and have less pay. I have a wife and two year old. Are the health benefits ok?

MAKAVELI

Almost 10 years, no accidents, no (formal :laugh:) complaints. I have an in-law and his father that are at Express. They say they don't like to hire Ground drivers and I understand in a way, but they said they would definitely make an exception. Is it worth making the leap? I'm happy where I'm at but a new contractor has taken over and I have lost health benefits and have less pay. I have a wife and two year old. Are the health benefits ok?
Try ups you'll be much better off in the long run as far as pay and benefits.

It will be fine

Try ups you'll be much better off in the long run as far as pay and benefits.
I'll go out on a limb and say the guy with a wife and kid is probably not interested in putting in a few years as a part-time package handler at brown before getting a shot at starting the 4 year progression to top scale.
That said, I would give the contractor plenty of notice and have him keep you associated with his company in the Ground system. Try out Express and if you don't get the hours you need, or just hate the micromanaging go back to Ground.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
I feel for u, OP.... i'm in a similar situation where my new boss is kinda oblivious about his crew.

Im even entertaining about becoming an Uber driver while looking for another job (i started a thread about it in the cobwebs section)

STFXG

I disagree. If the guy cut your benefits and pay don't give him any professional courtesy. Walk out when you find something better. No call - no show on him

bacha29

This is clearly going to be a common occurance as the company goes nationwide ISP. Existing contractors have to borrow alot of money to buy routes to get up to scale and the cost of servicing that debt has show up someplace.I think Box Stomper should try to get into a skilled trades union. Some years back a high ranking official of the Plumbers and Pipefitters Union openly invited me to join his union apprentice program . Needless to say I truly regret it.

dezguy

I'll go out on a limb and say the guy with a wife and kid is probably not interested in putting in a few years as a part-time package handler at brown before getting a shot at starting the 4 year progression to top scale.
That said, I would give the contractor plenty of notice and have him keep you associated with his company in the Ground system. Try out Express and if you don't get the hours you need, or just hate the micromanaging go back to Ground.
What do you mean by having the contractor "keep you associated with his company"? Like remain on payroll? Because Express does not allow employees to work for a competitor, including other company's under the FedEx banner.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
But but but.... the OP, and this HD driver, are "vendors" not employees of FedEx Ground

He can remain on payroll, just inactive, or unpaid leave of absence or something similar?

It will be fine

What do you mean by having the contractor "keep you associated with his company"? Like remain on payroll? Because Express does not allow employees to work for a competitor, including other company's under the FedEx banner.
It's a way to keep people in the system. That way they don't have to go through the whole process to be an approved driver if they want to come back. No new background check, drug test or road test. I've done it for several guys after they left in case their new gig didn't work out. They don't need to be on payroll. It's just a little security, piece of mind kinda thing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Don't do it. Express does hire Ground drivers, but you really don't want to work here. The benefits suck.

Fragiledonthrow

You'll probably make close to what u r making at ground. Doing pt at express. Nite pt is the way to go. U get more hours. Just fill in a couple days and u should be fine. And sat is always ot. So make sure u try to get a m-friend shift..good luck

Slick silver

If you some insider info, my buddy sent me some info that att u verse techs start at 18.70 a hr and top out at 28 in about 3 to 4 yrs. the schedule sucks but the benefits are good. But I was once a ground driver that switched, it's been decent but just don't become a swing if u apply and they ask you about being one. Now for me it's time in my life were ii need to start making more money to support a actual family and house, I can't rely on this new 10 step program to top out

Nolimitz

You'll probably make close to what u r making at ground. Doing pt at express. Nite pt is the way to go. U get more hours. Just fill in a couple days and u should be fine. And sat is always ot. So make sure u try to get a m-friend shift..good luck

Sat is only OT If you work 6 days.....

!Retired!

I'm happy where I'm at but a new contractor has taken over and I have lost health benefits and have less pay. I have a wife and two year old. Are the health benefits ok?
Is there another contractor willing to hire you? If your wife is working (you didn't say), go under her insurance. If not, you already know what you have to do for your family. Being without insurance could end up putting you on the street.
The benefits suck.
Not having any benefits is better?

bacha29

Box Stomper should not lose sight of the fact that the minimum penalty for no health insurance is $ 695 per year.If he wants to stay where he is he would probably qualify under tha ACA if not expanded Medicaid. Young, energetic and dedicated employees are the life blood of an FXG contractor. And if he isn't providing them with employer paid healthcare then he had better keep his mouth shut about Obamacare because that could be the only remaining option for his employees as more employers are deducting the cost of spouse and dependent health care premiums from the employees pay check leaving them with little or nothing in the way of take home pay. Health care and pension issues are going to be at the forefront in the days ahead given the Republicans promising to repeal or defund Obamacare leaving
many struggling hospitals faced with closing their doors .

dex 84

Health benefits are pretty good. Not as good as they used to be but if you look around the job market you'll see that's the case with a lot of companies now since the health care reform.

There might be better options out there but I'd say if your choice is stay with Ground or switch to Express then make the leap. It's a good time to get in because there's a lot of people retiring so you can get full time in 1 to 2 years most likely.

BoxStomper69

Goldmember
I don't mean to make the new contractor sound like a bad guy because things seem to be going great. The pay is about $100 less per month (not the end of the world) but the lack of benefits is the killer. I was paid somewhat generously plus a good health plan for helping expand the business and simple maintenance on trucks. The new contractor already has his right hand man (who probably does more work) and that is perfectly fine but the bottom line is I'll be losing $500 a month between pay and benefits. I don't fault him for anything because that's how a lot of contractors operate and I do have the option to move on. At one time, it was a great job, now, it's like a great stepping stone.

I should have stayed at UPS when I got out of school 18 years ago but my work ethic was horrible and didn't know how to brush off your average manager when it came to piddly stuff. I didn't have the worst problem with authority but I liked working alone and not bothered. At 26, I found that I fit right in with Ground.

I have thought about going to another contractor who does offer benefits but still getting info on it. Doesn't sound promising. I'm easy going and ready for a challenge every now and then but it's nice going days without seeing management or even contractors. I'm wondering if Express is worth the hassle with of being corporate and dealing with micromanaging that was mentioned or a try a skilled trade with tons of micromanaging but getting paid very well, I assume.

PS: I don't want to sound like I'm basing my choice on how much I have to deal with management. I've grown up quite a bit over the years and I need to do what it takes to take care of my family! I just want to make sure it's worth my while. My wife works and has the most awful benefits but it caters more towards the healthcare of children. I'm looking for something all around because I'm not getting any younger ;)

Last edited:

dex 84

Problem with a skilled trade is you gotta put in the time to learn the skill, which if your family is counting on youmight not be an option right now.

Micromanaging is rampant at Express but you can learn to let it roll right off you. You get paid by the hour so follow your fearless leaders' instructions and you'll be just fine...

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Micromanaging is rampant at Express but you can learn to let it roll right off you. You get paid by the hour so follow your fearless leaders' instructions and you'll be just fine...
It gets old and very wearing on people after awhile (they never let up) and in some instances can reach a breaking point. Not good for all concerned.

Express upper management has yet to learn the first thing about working with people.