Ground to Express. Worth it?

overflowed

No personal days no vacation no holiday pay and no sick days you don't work you don't get paid. No benefits either.
That sucks. You need to network with the ground contractors on here then. You will be paid 80k a year. Get paid holidays, every federal holiday as well, and some even give you national hot dog day off.

FedGT

That sucks. You need to network with the ground contractors on here then. You will be paid 80k a year. Get paid holidays, every federal holiday as well, and some even give you national hot dog day off.
Pretty much, for the good ones here. Except the 80k that is not going to happen. Don't know why you don't think a lot of us give vacation or holiday pay.

bbsam

Staff member
Pretty much, for the good ones here. Except the 80k that is not going to happen. Don't know why you don't think a lot of us give vacation or holiday pay.
Because it's Ground and every thing Ground is the worst possible situation.

Bounty

In my terminal there was one contractor giving one week off paid, the others gave nothing. That's why.

bacha29

Purely a guess here but on a national average basis a contractor employed driver is probably grossing between $ 750-800 per week with 1 payed week of vacation with fewer than 20% of them receiving employer paid health insurance and less than 10% have a employer contributing pension plan or 401k and 0% in a defined benefit pension plan. Furthermore health care and pensions are gong to once again be at the top of the agenda when it comes to U.S. domestic ploicy going forward.

FedGT

Purely a guess here but on a national average basis a contractor employed driver is probably grossing between $ 750-800 per week with 1 payed week of vacation with fewer than 20% of them receiving employer paid health insurance and less than 10% have a employer contributing pension plan or 401k and 0% in a defined benefit pension plan. Furthermore health care and pensions are gong to once again be at the top of the agenda when it comes to U.S. domestic ploicy going forward.
May be a top agenda but 401k and pension will never be a requirement for small business owners. Fact of the matter the govt knows they can't push entitlement benefits like these or health insurance on small businesses with less than 25-50 employees. Majority of small businesses flat out can not pay for them and it will not be determined on a case by case basis. When they can figure out how to not spend $25 for a tablet of ibuprofen and pass those costs to employers I may start considering it.
I have had many jobs, most employers post 2007 slashed any employer contributions to 401k, never have I worked for a company offering a pension. It is an individuals decision if they want to set themselves up for retirement not an employers responsibility.

bacha29

How many working class grunts are going to be able to compile over their working lifetimes an investment portfolio large enough to produce enough income to take care of their needs ? Especially when you consider the fact that a $750,000 portfolio yielding 4% will only generate $30,000 per year and 62% of all baby boomer have less than $50,000 set aside for retirement. So you are they going to go to? The government who else do they have to turn to? And rest assured the government will soon be pushing back. Rest assured poor government procurement practices is a completely unrelated matter.

FedGT

How many working class grunts are going to be able to compile over their working lifetimes an investment portfolio large enough to produce enough income to take care of their needs ? Especially when you consider the fact that a $750,000 portfolio yielding 4% will only generate $30,000 per year and 62% of all baby boomer have less than $50,000 set aside for retirement. So you are they going to go to? The government who else do they have to turn to? And rest assured the government will soon be pushing back. Rest assured poor government procurement practices is a completely unrelated matter.
Why not? Most of us here did. I never had a single job pay me more than $35,000 a year (my state is a big business growth state but low wage) but I did have 3 full time jobs that paid $28,000-$35,000 a year. Ran myself ragged but gave me enough capital to flip some homes. Took profits and invested in risky stock trades, won a lot more than I lost. No one was looking out for my retirement and wasn't about to rely on someone else to do it for me.

Purplepackage

Why not? Most of us here did. I never had a single job pay me more than $35,000 a year (my state is a big business growth state but low wage) but I did have 3 full time jobs that paid $28,000-$35,000 a year. Ran myself ragged but gave me enough capital to flip some homes. Took profits and invested in risky stock trades, won a lot more than I lost. No one was looking out for my retirement and wasn't about to rely on someone else to do it for me.

This is pure curiosity, when you work fedex or ups how do you find the time to work 2 other full time jobs? Working for either company is a huge time commitment

overflowed

It's not that none of you don't, I'm sure some of you do. I have a friend that was a contractor, I've met contractors, and I talk to the ground drivers too. The way most of you guys talk on here it would lead you to believe most contractors are very generous. This is the least from the truth. I'm friends with a ground driver that we helped get a job at Express. His contractor didn't even pay him for Christmas day off.

FedGT

It's not that none of you don't, I'm sure some of you do. I have a friend that was a contractor, I've met contractors, and I talk to the ground drivers too. The way most of you guys talk on here it would lead you to believe most contractors are very generous. This is the least from the truth. I'm friends with a ground driver that we helped get a job at Express. His contractor didn't even pay him for Christmas day off.
Okay. Have I ever claimed that every or even close to the majority are good contractors. I will be the first to admit that there a many, many, many bad contractors/cheap contractors out there. That doesn't mean there are not good ones either.

FedGT

So you just didn't sleep for a while? last I remember 3x8 was something like a full day.
That's because you don't wander out of the box to find the solution. Worked 48 hours at an overnight facility that didn't care if you worked other jobs or did school work when it was slow which was 85% of the time. Worked 40 hours a week from home (80-90% while at the other job) compiling data and creating a data base for one of the largest commercial real estate brokers in the nation. Drove armored vehicle transport for another national company anywhere between 40-47 hours a week.
By the way if you want to actually know how bad it is driving for a company some of those are 10x worse than anything we do by a long shot, most just haven't had the pleasure. Some of those start $9-10 an hour carrying currency boxes 75-100lbs at a time while hearing about others or coworkers shot in the back of the head while they are walking out of a stop because some piece of :censored2: thinks someone else's life is worth less than the mystery of what is in the bag.

vantexan

That's because you don't wander out of the box to find the solution. Worked 48 hours at an overnight facility that didn't care if you worked other jobs or did school work when it was slow which was 85% of the time. Worked 40 hours a week from home (80-90% while at the other job) compiling data and creating a data base for one of the largest commercial real estate brokers in the nation. Drove armored vehicle transport for another national company anywhere between 40-47 hours a week.
By the way if you want to actually know how bad it is driving for a company some of those are 10x worse than anything we do by a long shot, most just haven't had the pleasure. Some of those start $9-10 an hour carrying currency boxes 75-100lbs at a time while hearing about others or coworkers shot in the back of the head while they are walking out of a stop because some piece of :censored2: thinks someone else's life is worth less than the mystery of what is in the bag.
Worked a route on Mexican border getting freight at 1030 in the morning, first stop after 1100, 75-95 stops a day, had to be at bulk pickup by 1730, typical day pupped at that one stop 60-200 large 40 lb boxes, 100-600 1 lb boxes, plus twice a week 30-40 international mps boxes. Drove 60 miles to station where offloaded and helped with reload. Did paperwork then went on lunch around 2015, drove back 60 miles, off after 2200. Did that for 7 months before they started sending a small tractor-trailer 150 miles one way just to get my outbound. All this in an area that went over 100F everyday for 3+ months in the summer and it wasn't AZ dry heat. Went home soaked and whipped every day. I've had other killer routes too but that one was a cut above. And was making about $12.50hr too. And the kicker was mgr, who later was fired, lied to me about location of job opening to get me to take that route. Figured it was a domicile, how bad could it be?

bacha29

The workload I incurred at an earler time in my life would match anything you guys have done. But you know something? I choose not to remember those days because I survived them. Isn't that all that really matters? Why? Because nobody cares!. I think it's safe to say that we have accounted for ourselves in an amirable fashion .But in this the "what have you done for me lately" world and a growing population that because of it's sheer size has rendered the performance of everyday tasks meaningless