Ground to Express. Worth it?

vantexan

The workload I incurred at an earler time in my life would match anything you guys have done. But you know something? I choose not to remember those days because I survived them. Isn't that all that really matters? Why? Because nobody cares!. I think it's safe to say that we have accounted for ourselves in an amirable fashion .But in this the "what have you done for me lately" world and a growing population that because of it's sheer size has rendered the performance of everyday tasks meaningless
My point was that it seems implied here by some that Express couriers don't work hard. Granted that since the rise of Ground it's a different Express world these days, but plenty of us old timers worked very hard in the past. Also seems implied that expecting a pension is somehow tantamount to receiving welfare. It was part of our compensation and with all the B.S. we endured at least we could say we were getting a pension out of it. I'm thankful that at least I managed a partial pension, if for no other reason than to no longer have to work for those who think our whole world should revolve around them.

FedGT

My point was that it seems implied here by some that Express couriers don't work hard. Granted that since the rise of Ground it's a different Express world these days, but plenty of us old timers worked very hard in the past. Also seems implied that expecting a pension is somehow tantamount to receiving welfare. It was part of our compensation and with all the B.S. we endured at least we could say we were getting a pension out of it. I'm thankful that at least I managed a partial pension, if for no other reason than to no longer have to work for those who think our whole world should revolve around them.
I have no problems with people getting them. Just think it is completely asinine to think any small business would even be considered to offer one it is not feasible for 90% of them.

bbsam

Staff member
I have no problems with people getting them. Just think it is completely asinine to think any small business would even be considered to offer one it is not feasible for 90% of them.
Which is why many hate the Ground model. X can aford it but by design avoids doing so.

dex 84

Fedex Ground is not a small business. It is an operating company of a major corporation contracting with many "small businesses" so it doesn't have to hire a ton of employees or own and maintain a fleet of trucks.

I really hope something happens in the legal system to bust apart the whole Ground model.

bbsam

Staff member
Fedex Ground is not a small business. It is an operating company of a major corporation contracting with many "small businesses" so it doesn't have to hire a ton of employees or own and maintain a fleet of trucks.

I really hope something happens in the legal system to bust apart the whole Ground model.
Do you feel that way about all contracting?

FedGT

Do you feel that way about all contracting?
Sure he does. Just doesn't have any examples of anything else, but if there is hearsay information about another contracting firm of a large corporation he is on board with the torches and pitchforks. Only a matter of time before Amazon is doing the same thing. Better feel the same way with Uber/Lyft that is much worse of a contracting model.

dex 84

I do feel the same way about Uber. Uber is actually a lot worse than FedEx Ground in my opinion. They should not be allowed to operate like this.

bbsam

Staff member
I do feel the same way about Uber. Uber is actually a lot worse than FedEx Ground in my opinion. They should not be allowed to operate like this.
So in other words, contracting should be outlawed? Do you realize the vast ramifications of that proposition and the reason the Ground model isn't going anywhere? Imagine if the government had to hire cleaning and maintenance staff for every building. Imagine the salaries and pensions. Imagine the tax increases for every added employee to build the roads, buildings, bridges, etc. Contracting isn't going anywhere because the government and business thrive on it.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag

Yea, i didnt know rideshare companies were that bad when i was reaserching them...

http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/uber-drivers-here.368270/

They have way more pissed off "ICs" on that uber people . Net than here

And also a few uber "plants" to try to diffuse them...

I was gonna take the plunge, but after skimming on their drivers' experiences, its not worth shuttling strangers around.

I'll stay with my current contractor for now to let him take care of the expenses of maintaining a vehicle.

Plus, it's a bonus that parcels dont talk back when u toss or drop kick 'em to the FD #sarcasm

Lasership or ontrac or whoever AZ is trying to contract with are still sketchy as well