GRUESOME injury...do NOT look if you are squeamish!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A driver in a nearby building slipped on some ice and she instinctively tried to break her fall by putting her hands down. One of her hands had the keyring around one finger as per the methods....and the key went clear thru her hand and had to be surgically removed. One more good reason to put your keys in your pocket instead of around your finger......:sick:

ouch.jpg
ouch.jpg

I wish the best for her, as that is definitely a painful injury. I tripped on the ice one time and the diad went in one direction, the package in the other direction. I got back in the truck and "Uh oh, where are the keys?!" I went over by where I slipped and they were sitting inches from a sewer. I dodged a bullet on that one.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I can here "them" now, if she had been working by the methods kept her eyes moving and cleared the area, this would not have happened.
Indisputable 20/20 hindsight, what a luxury.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I can here "them" now, if she had been working by the methods kept her eyes moving and cleared the area, this would not have happened.
Indisputable 20/20 hindsight, what a luxury.

Its even better than 20/20 when employed from behind a desk.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Sober

Actually, that method at our center was reviewed by the safety committee as unsafe in the workplace as contrary to OSHA standards for loose articles of clothing or jewelry.

As your hand is used to move package from one point to another, the key or ring has the tendency to catch on just about anything. One of the most severe would be the seam or edges of the conveyor belt. The loss of a finger is the result.

So you are very correct, the placement of the key on any finger as per methods is unsafe. Period. Better as you stated to place in pocket.

d

moreluck

golden ticket member
OK, key in pocket. You slip on ice and key gets jammed into your hip, upper leg, etc. Much better if key ring is on pinkie finger.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
OK, key in pocket. You slip on ice and key gets jammed into your hip, upper leg, etc. Much better if key ring is on pinkie finger.

I disagree.
Keys in the pocket lay flat against your leg, they won't be able to get into a puncture position like the key in the picture did.
Key ring on the pinkie finger can obviously do to the hand what we see in the picture, as well as to other body parts.
Key ring on the pinkie can also snag on things like door locks and such, creating a hazard to the pinkie finger itself.
It's a bad practice with no benefits aside from production.
Thought it was "safety first"?
What's up UPS????

Integrity

Binge Poster
A driver in a nearby building slipped on some ice and she instinctively tried to break her fall by putting her hands down. One of her hands had the keyring around one finger as per the methods....and the key went clear thru her hand and had to be surgically removed. One more good reason to put your keys in your pocket instead of around your finger......:sick:

View attachment 5061
soberups,

What has been the local response to this injury?

Has there been any PCMs, memos from management regarding discontinuing this method?

Has the Local Union been involved, and have they taken action on this faulty method?

What has been the response from your fellow workers?

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This "faulty method" has been around for a long time. We don't use it here--keys go in right front pocket, COD money in front left is how I was taught--but many centers train their drivers to carry the keys on their pinkie finger.

This will be a non-issue when we go to keyless entry.

over9five

Staff member
I honestly think that method was changed a while back. The key must be ready to be used when you return to the PC, not carried on the finger at all times.