GRUESOME injury...do NOT look if you are squeamish!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I havn't heard this yet, but in the winter when I wear gloves, I usually hold it in my palm. The glove finger is too thick to get through the key ring quickly. I actually cant wait for keyless entry.

iruhnman630

On my first job as a dishwasher, I put a piece of a busted plate through my hand. The cut was identical to hers. I got a real good look at the inside of my hand before nearly passing out.

On more than one occasion I have caught the key ring in the handle as I was stepping out of the truck. It wouldn't take much to snap that finger in half when that happens.

U

uber

I work down at Swan Island. She was back at work the next day, the top of her hand was really bruised.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I mentioned a long time ago that I don't use my fingers to hold keys (I keep a clip on my belt loop) and some one gave me a hard time about how this practice is not 'per methods'. Well, I really don't care if it is 'per method' or not. This injury is just another point of proof to my practice. It's terrible that a driver had to suffer such a painful injury trying to stay in compliance with methods.

I am very adept at getting my keys off my clip and will continue to use my method.

trickpony1

I hope she consulted an attorney as this injury could have serious consequences later in life.
Th damaged ligaments, tendons, muscles and bones don't just magically return to normal after a trauma like this.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I pulled a rookie mistake yesterday, I couldn't believe I did it. I had an on demand pickup at a grade school and this was 40 minutes before they closed. I break off trace at the far end of my area, and have to face bus and parent traffic in the school parking lot. I wind up toting two 40 pound boxes of books about a thousand feet back to my P7 with no handtruck. I unlocked the bulkhead door and stuck the boxes in the back and slammed the door. At that point I couldn't find my keys, so I searched my pockets, retraced my path to the school office, and tried to pick the lock with a paper clip. I had no luck so I made a much dreaded call to the Center and told them I thought I locked the keys in the back. I have only done this once before, and that was 25 years ago. About forty minute later, I finally found them under the DIAD mount on the dash. I had looked up there, but didn't see them under the metal brace where they landed. Sometimes I throw the keys on the dash if my hands are full so I don't lock them in the back. My Center Manager pulled up with the replacement keys about a minute later, I felt very stupid.:ashamed:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I believe they would have somehow found their way to the back of the package car before he got there.

Better than having to call the center manager to tell him you lost your keys, and have him show up 5 minutes later with the keys you left in the ignition in his hand. We have had several driver that have been caught doing this over the last two years, and so far, none have learned a thing.

d

Integrity

Binge Poster
Sober

Actually, that method at our center was reviewed by the safety committee as unsafe in the workplace as contrary to OSHA standards for loose articles of clothing or jewelry.

As your hand is used to move package from one point to another, the key or ring has the tendency to catch on just about anything. One of the most severe would be the seam or edges of the conveyor belt. The loss of a finger is the result.

So you are very correct, the placement of the key on any finger as per methods is unsafe. Period. Better as you stated to place in pocket.

d
dannyboy,

What document would this method be found in?

Sincerely,
I

over9five

Staff member
I pulled a rookie mistake yesterday, I couldn't believe I did it. I had an on demand pickup at a grade school and this was 40 minutes before they closed. I break off trace at the far end of my area, and have to face bus and parent traffic in the school parking lot. I wind up toting two 40 pound boxes of books about a thousand feet back to my P7 with no handtruck. I unlocked the bulkhead door and stuck the boxes in the back and slammed the door. At that point I couldn't find my keys, so I searched my pockets, retraced my path to the school office, and tried to pick the lock with a paper clip. I had no luck so I made a much dreaded call to the Center and told them I thought I locked the keys in the back. I have only done this once before, and that was 25 years ago. About forty minute later, I finally found them under the DIAD mount on the dash. I had looked up there, but didn't see them under the metal brace where they landed. Sometimes I throw the keys on the dash if my hands are full so I don't lock them in the back. My Center Manager pulled up with the replacement keys about a minute later, I felt very stupid.:ashamed:
I always kept a spare bulkhead door key hidden up front.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
??? who took the pic?? every time i impale myself with something i instantly yank it out,, impressive,, she was goin for the wow factor

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
??? who took the pic?? every time i impale myself with something i instantly yank it out,, impressive,, she was goin for the wow factor
I dont often imp[ale myself, but I woulda left it in too. To keep the bleeding to a minimum. Ick, can you see driving with that hand? Not here~!!