Guarantee time gone?

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
For years whenever a driver in my center finished up a early and punched out under 8. They would have in their paycheck a "Guaranteed" pay that made sure they got 8 hours for the day. So if you punched out at 7.5 hrs..your paycheck would show

Hours Worked 7.5
Guarantee .5

Suddenly this no longer happens. If you don't sit at the building to wait for 5:50pm you no longer receive the Guarantee. What suddenly changed from 4 weeks ago to now that has this has happened? It's not really a big deal because I'm rarely done anywhere near 5:50. But we have guys (already taking lunch on road) sitting at the bldg...20-30 extra mins to get their 8.

fr8dog

They're warming up for your contract talks. pay some of ur healthcare and we'll let you leave 10 minutes early.

over9five

Staff member
You are guaranteed 8 hours as always. BUT the boss sure can make you stay to get that 8.

Like everything else, it's a money saving move. A lot of runners and gunners will still punch out before 8, making the company more money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are guaranteed 8 hours as always. BUT the boss sure can make you stay to get that 8.

Like everything else, it's a money saving move. A lot of runners and gunners will still punch out before 8, making the company more money.

It doesn't matter if they punch out before 8 unless their paycode is being changed from 06 to 05.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maybe it is. Do you not agree that if the boss has to pay you 8 hours, he can darn well keep you 8 hours?

Absolutely. I also agree that an employee standing around for 20-30 minutes without working in order to get their guarantee is stealing time.

We had a snow day a few weeks ago where they asked us to make our pickups early and get in. I punched out around 1700 and my guarantee was on the following paycheck.

over9five

Staff member
The thing I don't like about the OPs post is that they changed the way they pay without explaining it to the employees. This does seem a little underhanded.

pretzel_man

Absolutely. I also agree that an employee standing around for 20-30 minutes without working in order to get their guarantee is stealing time.

We had a snow day a few weeks ago where they asked us to make our pickups early and get in. I punched out around 1700 and my guarantee was on the following paycheck.

I don't think the empoyee is steaing time....

We agreed to pay employees a minimum of 8 hours. If I don't dispatch properly, its not the employees fault.

I would love it if the driver wants to go home so I don't have to pay. Often, drivers want to do that.

If they choose not to, its my problem, not theirs. If I can't find more meaningful work then standing around is appropriate.

I do agree that if a change in procedure was made, employees should be told.

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
Yea there was no announcement made. But like I said I'm not upset because under 8 is pretty rare for me. And I have no problem working 8 to get 8. I was just wondering how they are able to change the pay code basically to "hours worked 05" from the normal 06. I wasn't sure they were allowed to edit the timecards like that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yea there was no announcement made. But like I said I'm not upset because under 8 is pretty rare for me. And I have no problem working 8 to get 8. I was just wondering how they are able to change the pay code basically to "hours worked 05" from the normal 06. I wasn't sure they were allowed to edit the timecards like that.

They are not allowed to change your paycode without telling you.

UPSGUY72

They can't. IF they change it to 05 then they have to take out your lunch you put in your board. That is why you get a message to make sure your lunch is in your board becasue if they change it they have to fill out more paper work. File a grievance this is the only way this problem is going to get fixed. They will keep stealing from you as long as you let them.

menotyou

bella amicizia
They are not allowed to change your paycode without telling you.
You are funny. They aren't allowed to delete you from the system and pay you with a personal day. But, I've seen it done. I know the name of the driver and the manager. Again, my building. Gotta love it.

tracker2762

You are funny. They aren't allowed to delete you from the system and pay you with a personal day. But, I've seen it done. I know the name of the driver and the manager. Again, my building. Gotta love it.

Can you explain the "delete you from the system" part? What were they deleted from?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its rare that it happens, but I bring it in if stops are light. I got a little Guarantee Time a couple of weeks ago.

UPSGUY72

That is a great way to get a SUP terminated. That could cause a lot of legal issue if something happen that day on the road with the driver and it didn't pop up till a day or two later.

bumped

If I'm underdispatched on an 8 hour I'll code it as an 05 mainly because the next time I want an 8 hour I don't want 8.5 hours.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The company should never change your paycode unless asking you if you want to take the "pay actual". If they ask and you want the 8hr guarantee you will most likely have to stay the full 8. Wether your standing around or doing some work they can keep you until the 8 is over. Everyone should be aware that if you take a code 5, "pay actual", you will not be paid any bonus you may have earned.

tracker2762

If I'm underdispatched on an 8 hour I'll code it as an 05 mainly because the next time I want an 8 hour I don't want 8.5 hours.

Nothing is stopping them from giving you 8.5 for an 8 hour request. They won't be obligated because you coded 5 yourself.