Guaranteed Hours?

I work in a decent sized HUB here in the SE. This year and last year during peak the start time for twilight has been changed from 5:45 to 3:00. The only difference this year, is the sups are coming in at 1:00 and bringing the sort up. I along with many other guys on my sort work a full time job during the day and cant make it in until 5:00. When I made it in last night (at 5:00) they had already processed 71,000 out of 160,000 volume. The sort went down at 8:20 instead of the normal 9:30 or so. Long story short... Are pt employees guaranteed a certain amount of hours? Last year I worked at least 5 hours a night even while starting at 5:00. Thanks

Still union work, they should of called everyone by seniority, maybe you could of made it by letting your other job cover your shift. You were denied overtime right?
If the two hours the sups worked prior to the sort would have been tacked on to the end of the sort.. Then yes I could have gotten overtime.

Cementups

Box Monkey
You should be filing the supervisor working grievances. It's one thing if they offered work and you turned it down but they are just doing work that hourlies should be doing. File file file. It's easy money.

You should be filing the supervisor working grievances. It's one thing if they offered work and you turned it down but they are just doing work that hourlies should be doing. File file file. It's easy money.
Thanks for confirming this... Didn't want to try to grieve without valid reasoning and end up just making enemies lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I work in a decent sized HUB here in the SE. This year and last year during peak the start time for twilight has been changed from 5:45 to 3:00. The only difference this year, is the sups are coming in at 1:00 and bringing the sort up. I along with many other guys on my sort work a full time job during the day and cant make it in until 5:00. When I made it in last night (at 5:00) they had already processed 71,000 out of 160,000 volume. The sort went down at 8:20 instead of the normal 9:30 or so. Long story short... Are pt employees guaranteed a certain amount of hours? Last year I worked at least 5 hours a night even while starting at 5:00. Thanks
I didn't read the other replies, someone may have already answered this.
No, you are not guaranteed 5 hours a night, peak or not.

If you do not show up at the posted start time....you are late. If you are late, technically, you are not even entitled to your 3.5 hour guarantee (this may vary by local...but that's how it is in mine). Technically, you could show up at 5pm and management would have the right to send you home if fully staffed, regardless of whether lower seniority people were working (who showed up ON TIME).

Cementups

Box Monkey
I didn't read the other replies.
No, you are not guaranteed 5 hours a night, peak or not.

If you do not show up at the posted start time....you are late. If you are late, technically, you are not even entitled to your 3.5 hour guarantee (this may vary by local...but that's how it is in mine). Technically, you could show up at 5pm and management would have the right to send you home if fully staffed, regardless of whether lower seniority people were working (who showed up ON TIME).

You should read his post correctly first and then maybe read the responses. His post was mainly regarding working being done by supervisors, not tardiness.

blkmamba

Do they know that unless they ask??? Now if they ask and he says he can't be there until 5, then he's SOL.
Wouldn't someone have to witness them working? I mean if they start at 1:00 and everyone else shows up at 3:00 how do you know what they did in those two hours.