Guard Shack, Guns, Security

We have brand new No Guns Allowed signs, both verbal and graphic, at every entrance this week.
I asked the guard if they were allowed before? He only laughed.

mercury7

You can easily bring a gun in my facility. Not to mention the people that get passes to bring their entire vehicle in

mercury7

Years ago a driver picked his gun up on his route during lunch and brought it back to the hub and even got a property pass for it. A temp wrote the pass. The driver was later fired but it's very easy to get guns in even if you walk thru the guard shack. Not to mention anyone can just drive right in. There's no gate

TheFigurehead

Wonder how he brought a gun into UPS. At my hub security is worse than TSA, practically strip search us. Very sad, rip

I don't know about your hub, but at mine, as long as you have your id, no one looks twice at you on the way in, and there are no metal detectors on that side. We definitely get tsa'd on the way out, though.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't know about your hub, but at mine, as long as you have your id, no one looks twice at you on the way in, and there are no metal detectors on that side. We definitely get tsa'd on the way out, though.
Same in my building....it'd be no problem to bring a weapon into work. It's a scary thought...

oldngray

nowhere special
Here they only checked people entering if someone threatened management. Then a couple of weeks later back to just flashing ID as you enter.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Wonder how he brought a gun into UPS. At my hub security is worse than TSA, practically strip search us. Very sad, rip

Only the largest facilities have security. And the security generally isn't there to prevent you from bringing weapons, etc. into the building, but instead to ensure that you're not walking out with iPads, etc. (stealing). In my building, there is no metal detector when you walk into the building, nor do they search your belongings. Just when you leave.

rod

Retired 22 years
We had NO security at my center. You were free to come and go in and out of any door in the building. No gates or fences. No one gave a rats butt if you were carrying a lunch box or a suitcase to or from your package car or private car. Just an open building with a parking lot. Most of the time there wasn't any management hanging around in the evenings----especially on Fridays. Every full time employee and some of the part time had their own key to the building. For many years we were allowed to use the building on weekends to work on our own cars or wash them. They only stopped that practice because some shade tree mechanic just about caught the building on fire using starter fluid and management heard about it. We only had one case of theft that I know of in the 30 years I was there. A gal loader stole a pair of blue jeans out of an open box and got caught.

oldngray

nowhere special
We had NO security at my center. You were free to come and go in and out of any door in the building. No gates or fences. No one gave a rats butt if you were carrying a lunch box or a suitcase to or from your package car or private car. Just an open building with a parking lot. Most of the time there wasn't any management hanging around in the evenings----especially on Fridays. Every full time employee and some of the part time had their own key to the building. For many years we were allowed to use the building on weekends to work on our own cars or wash them. They only stopped that practice because some shade tree mechanic just about caught the building on fire using starter fluid and management heard about it. We only had one case of theft that I know of in the 30 years I was there. A gal loader stole a pair of blue jeans out of an open box and got caught.

That was back when UPS actually trusted its employees. And respected them.

Only the largest facilities have security. And the security generally isn't there to prevent you from bringing weapons, etc. into the building, but instead to ensure that you're not walking out with iPads, etc. (stealing). In my building, there is no metal detector when you walk into the building, nor do they search your belongings. Just when you leave.

At CACH, we get fingered so you don't have to.

rod

Retired 22 years
That was back when UPS actually trusted its employees. And respected them.

Actually a lot of what I posted is still true now. Except that now days there is so much management one of them is always hanging around-----except on Friday evenings.

WorknLateHuh

There is absolutely no security at my hub except for cameras... you bring whatever you want into the building into basically any door you want.

When drivers get back to the center most of them drop their stuff off at their car which is basically a stones throw from the air doors. yea our hub is tiny.