Guard Shack Question

Showtime9

So this is my first time here, really don't even know if this is the right place. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and work at UPS part time. The problem I have is with this peak crap, my hours are overlapping with the fire department and I have to carry a pager now, rather than working shifts at the firehouse, meaning i'd respond from work/home. Would I be allowed to bring my pager through the guard shack? I mean it has the department name and everything on it, and it's worn looking, obviously not something someone would steal. I'm in Louisville, KY if that helps any.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
So this is my first time here, really don't even know if this is the right place. I'm a volunteer firefighter, and work at UPS part time. The problem I have is with this peak crap, my hours are overlapping with the fire department and I have to carry a pager now, rather than working shifts at the firehouse, meaning i'd respond from work/home. Would I be allowed to bring my pager through the guard shack? I mean it has the department name and everything on it, and it's worn looking, obviously not something someone would steal. I'm in Louisville, KY if that helps any.

They should give you a UPS cell phone sticker (like BCFan said) , as they do for stewards/supervisors. I can't see any reasonable sort manager not giving a volunteer firefighter a cell phone pass.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They should give you a UPS cell phone sticker (like BCFan said) , as they do for stewards/supervisors. I can't see any reasonable sort manager not giving a volunteer firefighter a cell phone pass.

Does the company have to make accomodations for a volunteer fire fighter to leave work early if the needed were to arise?

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Does the company have to make accomodations for a volunteer fire fighter to leave work early if the needed were to arise?

The short answer is no, barring any local/state laws related to relieving a volunteer firefighter from work duties to act in such capacity. But they should make some sort of effort if it's not a constant thing.