Gun control advocates in Ferguson MO

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1408081760.120192.jpg

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Military armored vehicles mounted with machine guns, helicopters, tear gas, rubber bullets.... firing tear gas and bean bags at reporters, arresting the media for filming police actions. The militarization of our police has really been on display in the past few days, it's pretty disturbing. I'd say the issue here isn't small arms at all.

bbsam

Staff member
Military armored vehicles mounted with machine guns, helicopters, tear gas, rubber bullets.... firing tear gas and bean bags at reporters, arresting the media for filming police actions. The militarization of our police has really been on display in the past few days, it's pretty disturbing. I'd say the issue here isn't small arms at all.
...unless sober is suggesting that people arm themselves to fight.the police/government. That won't end well.

oldngray

nowhere special
Well well. It turns out Michael Brown wasn't the sweet innocent little child like he was initially portrayed to be. He had just robbed a convenience store 10 minutes earlier (and physically assaulted the store clerk).
xHANDSUPDONTROBME.jpg.pagespeed.ic.IBjuPBK2My.jpg

6'4" and 292 lbs. A rather large "child".

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/201...-michael-brown-robbing-store-before-shooting/

And Brown's friend who claimed they were just innocently walking down the street was also caught on video during the robbery.

Brown also had a criminal record. It doesn't mean the cop was justified in the shooting but it does cast doubt on the claims made against him.

soberups

...unless sober is suggesting that people arm themselves to fight.the police/government. That won't end well.
That is not what I am suggesting at all, at least in this case.

All I am suggesting....is that some people undergo a fundamental change in their philosophy about gun control when rioters are running rampant outside their door and a call to 911 gets nothing but a busy signal.

soberups

the police aren't fueling the fires and using excessive force?
Lets assume for the sake of argument that they are.

It doesn't change the fact that the situation has devolved into a vicious circle of violence by the rioters followed by reprisals by the police.

As a law abiding person, what that would mean to me if I lived there is that I would not wish to place sole responsibility for my or my family's safety in the hands of the police or a 911 operator.

Under conditions of anarchy and chaos there are two types of people; those who have guns and those who wish that they did. We saw this in '91 during the King riots when the LAPD essentially abandoned entire sections of LA and law-abiding Californians who, out of desperation, tried to buy guns for self defense wound up running face-first into the brick wall of California's 3-day waiting period.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I'd rather not find out what would happen if they just sat back and let it go.
The problem is how they fought the riots. What is the reason for shooting teargas at a media crew filming, or shooting bean bags at cameramen, or arresting reporters for filming a pointless police evacuation of a restaurant? What is the need for an armored vehicle, do the rioters have rocket launchers or something?

A bunch of police playing toy soldiers got an excuse to play with the military weapons and gear they got at rock bottom prices from the department of defense. The police department screwed this up every step of the way.

oldngray

nowhere special
The rioters were lobbing Molotov cocktails and throwing rocks at the police so the tear gas was justified. Its probably calmer now because the state police took over.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The rioters were lobbing Molotov cocktails and throwing rocks at the police so the tear gas was justified. Its probably calmer now because the state police took over.
The news crews were not, and were no where near rioters. Yet they were tear gassed, shot at, and arrested. The Ferguson PD blew this from the get go. The state police take over and all of the sudden the protests are peaceful.... interesting.

oldngray

nowhere special
The news crews were not, and were no where near rioters. Yet they were tear gassed, shot at, and arrested. The Ferguson PD blew this from the get go. The state police take over and all of the sudden the protests are peaceful.... interesting.

When were the news crews or even the rioters shot at? The 2 arrested at McDonalds were there to create news and failed to follow instructions from police several times to leave.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I know reporters have a job to do but they are a huge part of the problem. If this got zero coverage it would of all been over yesterday.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If what I hear is now correct ; that the police officer had an issue with people walking in the middle of the road.
But those same people had just committed an armed robbery .
It would seem that the suspects had more knowledge and fear when the police officer stopped them .
An attack on the officer would by their motives be seen as a defense move , while the officer would only see it as an attack upon himself .
The use of deadly force would be a natural reaction .

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Funny that you should mention that. This was on cnn.com today.

sorry for the commercial :(