Guys who work in the FRIGID cold please reply

heehuhre

I deliver in an area where temps drop into the teens and 20s and I layer up and never complain. But I always think man how do guys deal in Montana Alaska etc etc when temps hit under 0. How do you guys and gals deal! Has it ever gotten so cold that they don't send you out? Please share your experiences!

stoliohranj

-5f this morning

wool socks, longjohns, underarmor, and a balaclava.

also, :censored2: idle time/recording while idle reports. I leave the truck running under 20f

Last edited:
F

FrigidAdCorrector

You throw on some layers and suck it up.

I'm not even trying to be a jerk. That's seriously just what you have to do. We had a -46 wind chill here the other day. Best thing you can just do is the uniform, a hoodie, jacket on top of that, and good winter gloves. Some like hand warmers, but personally I hate them because they make my hands sweat. To each his own. Lots of coffee as well.

PT Car Washer

I'm not even trying to be a jerk. That's seriously just what you have to do. We had a -46 wind chill here the other day. Best thing you can just do is the uniform, a hoodie, jacket on top of that, and good winter gloves. Some like hand warmers, but personally I hate them because they make my hands sweat. To each his own. Lots of coffee as well.
I agree with everything but the coffee.

rod

Retired 22 years
We were never shut down because of cold. The longest cold snap I worked through lasted close to 2 weeks where the temperature NEVER got above 15 below and it got as cold as 30 below at night. The single coldest night I've ever experienced in Minnesota was -52 below (Feb 2,1996). It got down to -70 below in other parts of Mn. that night.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
You get use to it also. You don't get use to -30 but -5 and higher yeah I think people just deal with that cold
When they see it a lot.

DOK

-5f this morning

wool socks, longjohns, underarmor, and a balaclava.

also, :censored2: idle time/recording while idle reports. I leave the truck running under 20f

For real? You leave it run. I was considering this today, didn't get above 10, but I tried it the last freezing rain storm we got and got told about it.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Thank God they aren't like that all the time.
No kidding. Last year there were a couple bad snaps. But we've been lucky up until the last couple of days. Really banking on this global warming pulling through :)

gorilla75jdw

Long Johns , old fashion jogging suit , carhardts BIBS then whatever UNIFORMS can fit over that . If management can't understand , let them do discipline and the business agent will work it out .

rod

Retired 22 years
For real? You leave it run. I was considering this today, didn't get above 10, but I tried it the last freezing rain storm we got and got told about it.

I know times have changed but we use to always let them run (all day long) when it was cold. If you had a rider they would sit in the truck and stay warm. If it was really cold I used to even let mine run when I was on break. I would try to park where I could keep an eye on it from the café window.

midwest brown

-30ish windchill here today. Pretty much wore the same thing under armor and thermals and a hoodie and my vest. We were actually allowed to leave the cars running everyday this week didnt shut it off once.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

Below a certain temp we let our guys idle it. It just isn't safe to let the truck to get cold. Not to mention if someone takes their whole paid and unpaid break at the same time that engine block is going to get cold quick.

clean hairy

Comes up cheaper to let them run than to pay medical bills for frostbite.
Also, if the windshield ices up from the engine being off, then it has to idle to defrost the windshield.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Wear as many layers as you feel comfortable with. Everybody is different in that aspect as to how they handle the cold. Always make sure you bring enough extra clothes with ya. You cant put on what you dont have. Better to have too many clothes than not enough. The last thing you want to do is not have enough layers or clothes with ya and freeze your heiney off and be miserable all day because you werent smart enough to bring enough clothes with ya, no fun at all.