Had an accident, now I've got questions

PPH_over_9000

So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?

Dumbo

You won't lose your job because it wasn't a serious crash and you reported it right away. You'll probably get a warning letter and a ride along if that.

Est.1998

So I took a mailbox out today with my package car's tailswing. Didn't destroy anything, but uprooted it and, since it was zip-tied to a second newspaper box, I wasn't able to get it back into it's original position.

I called my supervisor and let him know. Got questioned a bit, received a couple more phone calls to run through the situation over and over again. Ended with them telling me "When the smoke clears, we'll let you know."

I qualified in June, this is my first incident. I'm curious how you all think it might play out? I spoke with another driver when I finished my route and got back to the building, and he was pretty adamant that I was going to get a warning letter and maybe a few ride-alongs. I'm worried that I might lose my job. Anyone have any insight here?
I'm sure 95% of drivers in UPS history have taken out a mailbox (myself included).
I let the supe know and tried telling the homeowner but no one was home (left a note). Me nor anyone else I've known rcvd any discipline for it. The most that happened was a driver spent a few hours on the weekend repairing/replacing the mailbox.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I'm sure 95% of drivers in UPS history have taken out a mailbox (myself included).
I let the supe know and tried telling the homeowner but no one was home (left a note). Me nor anyone else I've known rcvd any discipline for it. The most that happened was a driver spent a few hours on the weekend repairing/replacing the mailbox.

Used to carry a $100 bill in my wallet just for these occasions

PPH_over_9000

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to stop worrying about it and get some sleep for whatever :censored2:show I walk into tomorrow.

This helps a bit.

PPH_over_9000

never leave evidence! throw the mailbox into the package car and leave!
🧔✊

Lmao!

You know, I like to think I would've reported it regardless, but the customer's neighbor pulled into the long ass shared "driveway" as I was trying to get the mailbox planted planted back into the ground. I know, I know, "no witnesses," but UPS doesn't let me ride around with a pistol in my lap.

source.gif

DriverNerd

I took out a mailbox with my tailswing during a snow storm one year (got a little fish tail-y). Got a "shame on you", warning letter, ride along the next day, then back to normal.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
1. A vehicle had to be towed.
2. Someone had to go to the hospital.
3. A citation was issued.

If you check two of those boxes, they can and will fire you. You took out a mailbox and reported it immediately. You’re fine.

WTFm8

Did this. Reported it.

Next day I was taken off the road and had to do computer/driver training for around 6hrs then the ORS did a ride with me to another driver, took like 20 stops off him to deliver.

then ‘reinstated’ as a driver and reported as normal the next day.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
When I took out a mailbox I called it in and by the time the sup came down the neighbor came over and said no one even lived there and he fixed it with a drill in like two minutes. When the sup showed up there wasn't even damage to look at or photograph. Ended up going through a big debacle for ultimately nothing.

Seymour Packages

1. A vehicle had to be towed.
2. Someone had to go to the hospital.
3. A citation was issued.

If you check two of those boxes, they can and will fire you. You took out a mailbox and reported it immediately. You’re fine.
Not always true. A guy in my building rear ended a lady that slammed on brakes unexpectedly because she spilled her coffee. Got cited for following too close. She went to the hospital due to burns (self inflicted) and "neck pain." He kept his job.