Had an accident

Mike Hawk

We had a guy break one of those $.99 reflectors that people put up along their driveways, he was honest and reported it, and he got an avoidable accident out of it.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We had a guy break one of those $.99 reflectors that people put up along their driveways, he was honest and reported it, and he got an avoidable accident out of it.

Honest and reporting it can be 2 different things. I'd of went to the cust and said I'm on my way to the store after work and your reflector will be replaced tonight! I may even mumble something under my breath to good mgmt about what transpired. Mgmt doesn't want to get pegged with an avoidable either. JMHO

barnyard

KTM rider
Honest and reporting it can be 2 different things. I'd of went to the cust and said I'm on my way to the store after work and your reflector will be replaced tonight! I may even mumble something under my breath to good mgmt about what transpired. Mgmt doesn't want to get pegged with an avoidable either. JMHO

We had a guy in our center fired for that. He did not get his job back.

TB

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
We had a guy in our center fired for that. He did not get his job back.

TB

Not sidestepping mgmt, b.y., just not raising my hand first thing and saying, I DID IT! I'd run it by my supe first with a, what would you do if?, and then work it from there. Can get fired for lying, not for cunning.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I know it's kind of off topic, but those are really clear, clean cell phone pictures.

thanks, that was actually a phone that would now be about 4 years old. It's been replaced since. I'm kind of a geek when it comes to camera phones. 99% of all the pictures you see on here that I post are taken with my cell phone.

Hangingon

We had one of our new drivers drive away from a gas station with the hose still attached. He drove back and the station manager said not to worry, it happens all the time, and sent him on his way. Driver told his sup when he came in that night and was DQ'ed on the spot for an avoidable accident.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had one of our new drivers drive away from a gas station with the hose still attached. He drove back and the station manager said not to worry, it happens all the time, and sent him on his way. Driver told his sup when he came in that night and was DQ'ed on the spot for an avoidable accident.

One of the first things that we are taught is to report accidents immediately. Mgt hates surprises.

As far as the reflective pole, most homeowners are reasonable and not looking to screw us so if you offer to make them whole and then follow through you should be OK but you should also tell your on-car what happened so that they are not surprised. Mgt hates surprises.

Did anyone else see the news footage of a driver who pulled away from the gas station with the hose still in his car and the hose did not break away from the pump? He ripped the pump right off of the support and caused quite a fire.

You might think you got off easy by buying your customer a new reflector until the customer calls the company to compliment them on the "nice young man who took responsibility for the broken reflector". Next stop center manager`s office.
Back when I started they would allow drivers to take of minor things on their own,just tell your sup,and it would not go on your record. Not anymore.

Cementups

Box Monkey
It's not really about sucking :censored2:. If the driver is willing to fix the problem and the sup is cool with it, then it saves the center and management from having an accident charged.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not really about sucking :censored2:. If the driver is willing to fix the problem and the sup is cool with it, then it saves the center and management from having an accident charged.

The key here is to let your center manager know what happened and what you did to fix it.

We had a driver who hit one of those portable basketball goals. He stopped and the only person home was a kid, who told the driver not to worry about it so he didn't bother to tell anybody about it. Well, Mommy and Daddy weren't so forgiving and said driver enjoyed a 3 day unpaid vacation.

hungrydude5

I did everything right by reporting it to the sup working that day and our center manager seconds after the accident happened, just letting them know what happened so I could start filling out the tan card immediately. I have to do another ride with a higher up guy again sometime this week. I've done 2 so far, have done my Tier 1,2,3 and the Tier 1-2-3 assessment about half a dozen times. Man...what did I get myself into! I feel absolutly like crap too, almost depressed :-( this was my ticket to making SOME money finally at this place. My on car sup says I owe him big time if he gets his "deal" worked out with safety and someone else higher up too. And he's talking about a route this xmas, not shuttle or anything. I don't want to get excited just to be let down again.

I did everything right by reporting it to the sup working that day and our center manager seconds after the accident happened, just letting them know what happened so I could start filling out the tan card immediately. I have to do another ride with a higher up guy again sometime this week. I've done 2 so far, have done my Tier 1,2,3 and the Tier 1-2-3 assessment about half a dozen times. Man...what did I get myself into! I feel absolutly like crap too, almost depressed :-( this was my ticket to making SOME money finally at this place. My on car sup says I owe him big time if he gets his "deal" worked out with safety and someone else higher up too. And he's talking about a route this xmas, not shuttle or anything. I don't want to get excited just to be let down again.

Nowadays if you get a sup to pull for you like that you better get some kneepads.

hungrydude5

Yea tell me about it. They themselves, not me, are screwed. Big time. We've had 3 people retire within the month before peak. They put a reg temp bid up and NO ONE signed it. No one got hired off the street, there's no one. They all are waiting for the full time bids to show up, not the full time route bids which are the 3 retirees that have been filled already. So 3 people got moved up, and now we are awaiting 3 positions, 4 if you include the one i just threw away, to be filled and no one wants them. So, everythings trying to be done to keep my reg temp position.