Had to retire.

Ouch

Well after a long workers comp battle I was forced to retire (so to speak). I have been put on permanent restrictions and can no longer do the job. One back surgery then another disk they will not operate on. I have mixed emotions on this. I miss my customers (most of them). I miss the people I work with and going into the office with them to represent them. I stay in touch with most weekly. I told the union I would gladly volunteer to help them out at anytime. I never thought I would have such mixed emotions about leaving. Can't really go Iinto detail about my case other than back pain sucks lol lol. I've tried to keep a good attitude about it. I made a lot of great friends in my years at ups. I'm going to miss several of them dearly.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Well I hope you're in a situation that you can enjoy retirement.

Have a coworker I've told over and over again to take an article 22 job. His body is already breaking down and he isn't even 40. He refuses to bid feeder or article 22

Ouch

Pain management appointments once a month. I just turned 43 which i consider to still be young lol. It's no fun but it beats the alternative. It's been great getting to know the people i have and have some really great friends. I just hope i get to do some stuff with the union as that was the best part of my job, being a steward.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Sorry to hear that dude. Best of luck in whatever you do next and good luck getting saddled up with ups or whatever the case may be. You obviously hurt it at work but how did ups react about it? Was it a workers comp case?

Ouch

I did hurt it at work and it is a workers comp case. I reached mmi and have a 25lb weight restriction. Course i have a lawyer that is handling the buy out, and working on disability as well. Thanks for the well wishes. It just sucks to put that much time in and for your career to be over just like that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I hope you got a dam good lawyer or a lawyer who beaten ups before if not, their going to screw you over in a bad bad way dude. You know they are going to lowball you of course.

Ouch

I hope you got a dam good lawyer or a lawyer who beaten ups before if not, their going to screw you over in a bad bad way dude. You know they are going to lowball you of course.
Oh yeah my lawyer Is great. He is not scared of ups at all. He loves going against them for obvious reasons. Not his first rodeo. I get to laughing at him sometimes when he starts going off on them. It's a shame you have to fight for something like you do against them, but I guess that'spar for the course with big business. I would recommend my attorney to anyone going against big business.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Sorry to hear about your situation. I think we all look forward to retirement but of our own choice. Its a shame comp has gotten to the point where every thing requires a lawyer.

Sorry to hear it. Are you going to be able to collect social security as well? When it's all said and done you should offer a step by step tutorial on this forum of what to expect.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Awful . It sounds like you really liked your job. You will enjoy it now. The freedom. Did you have your Pip (personal injury protection) maxed out for your personal car insurance? You stated you had the injury at work. You can collect up to 2 yrs. Good luck

Ouch

Sorry to hear it. Are you going to be able to collect social security as well? When it's all said and done you should offer a step by step tutorial on this forum of what to expect.
I would be more than happy to. Their Is definitely a lot my fellow brothers and sisters need to know. I can't sa anything right now because we are in the thick of it. I will give everybody a good tip. If you get hurt, report it as I did, take notes everytime someone opens their mouth to you, as I did, always have a steward with you when you talk to them about your injury, as I did, never feel like being hurt will get you discipline, as It will not, be honest, as I was and walk away knowing at least one of the people in the office has integrity. Let your mri do your talking. No matter how often they tell you your not hurt you have the mri that says different. Get a great attorney you'll need it, as I have. Hope everyone has a safe day. Be careful out there.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Yes. If you are injured on the job (driving) your personal car insurance will cover you under Pip insurance. We had a driver collect basically his full weekly ck. Comp plus Pip. Make sure you Max it out for your insurance. Cost 10 dollars extra. You local should know this.

oldngray

nowhere special
Trying to get disability is a real crap shoot. I knew some people who skated through the process with little trouble and were hardly injured while others had to fight forever to win even if they were badly injured. I was getting in pretty bad shape from wear and tear and even had MRI that showed the damage but instead of trying to fight the system ( a bunch of soulless bean counters in my area ) I just retired since I had enough time in. If you have the option I recommend you get out or switch to a 22.3 job or something similar if possible before you end up crippled. You want to be healthy enough to have some quality of life after UPS.

Ouch

I tried to explain to them i could do something but i guess I'm looked at as a liability. Nothing available for me. I can still walk but short distances and hurt everyday. I make the best of it and if any have ever had 2 ruptured disk you know it's no picnic.

upschuck

Good luck and Godspeed. I had to see a lawyer to get UPS to see it my way too. Worked out for me, hope it works out for you.

Johney

I tried to explain to them i could do something but i guess I'm looked at as a liability. Nothing available for me. I can still walk but short distances and hurt everyday. I make the best of it and if any have ever had 2 ruptured disk you know it's no picnic.
Everyone I know who has been in the same situation as you never gets to stay with some type of restriction ever. I suppose if they do for one they must do for all and that may create problems down the road. May just be easier to pay people off and not worry about them anymore. Be careful even after your case is settled and you have signed off and done with UPS. Most of the time you will have to sign a disclosure agreement stating you will not discuss your settlement/case with anyone. I'm sure your lawyer will inform you if that's the case. Good luck in your recovery and future endeavors.

Ouch

Everyone I know who has been in the same situation as you never gets to stay with some type of restriction ever. pose if they do for one they must do for all and that may create problems down the road. May just be easier to pay people off and not worry about them anymore. Be careful even after your case is settled and you have signed off and done with UPS. Most of the time you will have to sign a disclosure agreement stating you will not discuss your settlement/case with anyone. I'm sure your lawyer will inform you if that's the case. Good luck in your recovery and future endeavors.
Yes you are right. I am not allowed to discuss money or anything I receive from the company. All the other goodies are fair game lol lol lol. I still want to stay involved with the union and will be getting my new contract book when it passes.