Halloween....after 24 yrs they finally get it right

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My kids are in Chicago and Madison for Halloween weekend. I'm sure the treat of choice isn't candy. Some of the towns around here do trick or treating on Sunday afternoon. Weak. It's more fun in the dark.

moreluck

golden ticket member
In Sandy, Utah, the Mormons have "trunk or treat" in the parking lots of the stake houses. The cars all pull in the lot, open their trunks full of candy and the kids just go around trunk to trunk getting 'safe' treats. Keeps them safer than running in the streets in the dark.

This year, however, the flyer said there were to be no gender-crossing costumes. No female Spiderman and no male princess. Chaz should probably not go to this party!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
HA! maybe if they give him enough slack shhh don't tell the shareholders
Sober,are you serious? your center manager may get accolades for this but the truth is overall that caring is for
people that care.UPS has lost many a caring person because they care just a bit too much .
What's up with you being positive about this BS?
Do you really think you will be home early Monday
?
What are ya stupid?ha ha...
:wink2:point being,it's one day
and one day is nothing

I dont ever want to become so negative and cynical that I cannot see or recognize those rare occasions when the company is actually trying to do something right.

I call 'em like I see 'em, and in this instance what I am seeing is that we are trying to do the right and safe thing and get drivers out of the residential neighborhoods by dark. I am under no illusion that this smart, proactive style of management will continue....but if one childs life gets saved by us getting done early tomorrow then that is something to be happy about.

rod

Retired 22 years
I am a Halloween grinch while my neighbors are Halloween freaks. I get home, turn off the lights and put out the "Get Lost" mat--the last thing I want to deal with after a long day at work is a bunch of free loading kids.:wink2: They decorate the heck out of their house and all the kids love going there.

Make up your mind--you are always bragging about how early you get done every day. A hundred years ago when I was Trick or Treating we had ways of dealing with your kind.

UPSBOT

When UPS Was Fun
At our Friday PCM we were told to think about taking our lunch and breaks at the end of the day. :sick:
That's the plan to get us off the road early!!!!!!!!!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Halloween should be made the last Sunday of October , always. That way, the schools wouldn't all be in an uproar about Halloween and costumes being too distracting for the school day. Also, the kids wouldn't be walking the streets when people are rushing home. And, the next morning you kick the sugar junkies out and let the teachers deal with them.

It's like Thanksgiving.....always the 4th Thurs. of November.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Christmas should always be the third Sunday in December. Then I would never have to work Christmas Eve. Would never be late to Christmas Eve at the in laws. Would never be too tired to stay awake Christmas Day.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Christmas should always be the third Sunday in December. Then I would never have to work Christmas Eve. Would never be late to Christmas Eve at the in laws. Would never be too tired to stay awake Christmas Day.

While we are at it....the 4th of July should always be celebrated on the first Friday of July so that (a) it makes a 3 day weekend and (b) the people who stay up until midnight blasting off fireworks arent keeping the rest of us awake on a work night.

While we are at it...Super Bowl Sunday is already a de facto national holiday, the game should be played on a Saturday so that people on the East Coast arent up until midnight on a work night or calling in sick with a hangover the next morning.

rocket man

At our PCM on Friday, our center manager told us that her goal for Halloween is to try and get all of the residential deliveries done before dark in order to avoid the obvious safety issues associated with the thousands of children that will be trick or treating.

Extra routes are actually being put in, and preload is being started early in order to gurantee an early wrap up and get us out of the building faster. We will be allowed to start early if our car is loaded and ready to go.

I'm impressed. A thoughtful, logical, proactive approach to a legitimate safety concern. I keep thinking I'm dreaming and that I will wake up on Monday morning to another 11 hr day. This cannot possibly be the UPS that I have grown to love and admire so much!
They just said that so you wouldnt call in sick

brownedout

It's not cost effective.

This is OT but when my kids were young and their mother and I (we were still married at the time) both wanted to go out with them trick or treating. We put a bowl filled with candy on a chair on the front porch with a sign asking the kids to please take only one piece. When we came home not only was the candy all gone but someone had taken the bowl.

I am lucky in that my residentials will be done by 3pm.

Cabbage Night is usually worse than Halloween so I guess we are lucky that CN is on a Sunday this year.
Funny how this night (tonight) is called different things depending on where you live. I grew up in the same state and we always referred to it as Gate Night. I now live in a different state albeit only 40 miles away and it is called Mischief Night. Have also heard it called Hell Night. Any other catchy names for the night of Oct. 30?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Funny how this night (tonight) is called different things depending on where you live. I grew up in the same state and we always referred to it as Gate Night. I now live in a different state albeit only 40 miles away and it is called Mischief Night. Have also heard it called Hell Night. Any other catchy names for the night of Oct. 30?
I never heard the 30th called anything except the day before halloween.

How about the night you can drink a ton of beer and take the next day off paid.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our trick-or-treat night is alway on a Thursday around Halloween but NEVER on Halloween. I had vacation so I wouldn't miss being there for trick-or-treat, plus it's my rest up before peak. They postponed trick-or-treat this year due to rain so they are actually having it tonight. I called off sick. When I called in my boss was asking me why I was using a sick day and my response was "Cause I have sick days available to me and I'm going to use one." my next response was "because my family comes first," but we didn't get that far in the conversation.