Hand-held cellphone use now prohibited for use in CMV's (PKG & FEEDER)

hypocrisy

Banned
Oberkommando Des Heeres Feldgendarmerie General Major Ray LaHood announced a Final Rule today restricting the use of hand-held cellular telephones while operating Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV's). Fines are $2,700 for each violation and disqualification from operating a CMV for repeated violations.

The Final Rule prohibits Employers from requiring or allowing Drivers to use hand-held cell phones. The rule goes into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register.

I'd suggest ordering a bluetooth yesterday.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Oberkommando Des Heeres Feldgendarmerie General Major Ray LaHood announced a Final Rule today restricting the use of hand-held cellular telephones while operating Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV's). Fines are $2,700 for each violation and disqualification from operating a CMV for repeated violations.

The Final Rule prohibits Employers from requiring or allowing Drivers to use hand-held cell phones. The rule goes into effect 30 days after publication in the Federal Register.

I'd suggest ordering a bluetooth yesterday.

I personally agree with this. I think it should be extended to no-hands phones as well.

UPSGUY72

I agree with the rule.

However It's not going to change much you can make up all the rules and regulation that you want. The problem is enforcing them. We already have thousands of rules and laws that can't be enforced because there isn't enough money to enforce them. This rule / reg is worth about the same as the paper that is is printed on.

bluehdmc

Handheld cell phone use is already against the law in NJ and it doesn't seem to stop anyone. I've seen package car drivers, tractor-trailer drivers, (both UPS feeders and others) and even police officers talking on hand-held cell phones. Anymore when I see someone driving a bit erractically when I get along side of them at least 19 times out of 20 they have the phone to their ear.

TheDick

I was told months ago in PCM that bluetooth and or cell phones cant be used while driving period. I agree cuz the PI attorney is gonna pull ur cell phone records immediatley after and see if he has slam dunk or not. In california EMS persons are exempt from handsfree law.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Handheld cell phone use is already against the law in NJ and it doesn't seem to stop anyone. I've seen package car drivers, tractor-trailer drivers, (both UPS feeders and others) and even police officers talking on hand-held cell phones. Anymore when I see someone driving a bit erractically when I get along side of them at least 19 times out of 20 they have the phone to their ear.
they are exempt

menotyou

bella amicizia
See how exempt they are when they get into accident while on the phone and the lawyer for the other person finds out.
I think of police as I do UPS management. It's their game and they make the rules. I think it's BS we have two sets of rules. As you said, they are human too.

over9five

Staff member
What's the difference between cell phones and CB radios? Every trucker in the world gabs on a CB all day long, and it is not hands free!

Ban those CB radios!

terrymac

Ok , I agree that talking on a cell phone, and driving might be challenging for some people, but if I really need to know what the fastest production car was in 1963, im googleing going down the road.. not the same as talking?

moreluck

golden ticket member
See how exempt they are when they get into accident while on the phone and the lawyer for the other person finds out.
If I'm ever in an accident and the other guy was active with his cell phone, texting or talking,......the police are getting the cell phone because it'll show he was on it at the time of the accident. Case closed!

Cementups

Box Monkey
try one of these hands-free setups....

hands-free-cell-phone.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I personally agree with this. I think it should be extended to no-hands phones as well.

Why hands free also?
How is it any different than talking to a passenger, say my on car supe?
In fact it is probably less dangerous, there's a tendancy to look at somebody present while talking.
I run down my cell phone battery twice every day talking on my bluetooth while driving my package car.
Perhaps there should only be a seat in the front of vehicles with a soundproof passenger area in the back of all vehicles.

brett636

I'm not a big fan of these sorts of laws since they are more of a false sense of security than anything else. With that being said I do not like holding my phone to my ear so I have always used a bluetooth.

rod

Retired 22 years
I have to confess that I had to Google Ray LaHood to see who the heck you were talking about. At first I though I had accidentially reset the "language" setting on my PC. I agree that talking on a cell phone is not any different than talking on a CB radio. Actually a CB may even be more difficult as you have to constantly be squezzing the talk button and saying things like"over" and "10-4 good buddy".

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I'm ever in an accident and the other guy was active with his cell phone, texting or talking,......the police are getting the cell phone because it'll show he was on it at the time of the accident. Case closed!

Erasing call history takes less than two seconds. It would take a subpoena of the phone records to prove.

My daughter and I were driving to the mall this afternoon and saw that a cop had pulled over a young motorist. The cop had asked the motorist to step out of the car and was giving him a field sobriety test. My daughter explained that they do this in cases of suspected texting while driving---if they pass the FST they can then issue the ticket for texting while driving.

hypocrisy

Banned

I'd be fine with that as long as the Company is fine with all the missed loads they will have. I get, on average, 4 panic phone calls a week to stop what I'm doing and cover a CPU or reverse course to a meet point to pick up hot loads that were missed for whatever reason. We could go back to the pagers, but since you've never drove Feeders you wouldn't realize how it can take up to 20 minutes to pull off the freeway and find a suitable place to park with a pay phone (if you can even find a pay phone). Oh yes, I'd be using a pay phone and calling collect should I not be able to use my cell phone anymore.

Ray LaHood is short-sighted and these are basically unenforceable rules. For one, an Officer cannot 'search' your phone without a warrant (and even with a warrant if you have locked your phone you are under no obligation to unlock it for him). Also, most every smart phone doubles as a GPS device and MP3 player etc, and only dialing, texting, and emailing are banned activities. It can be hard to spot a CMV driver using a hand held or texting, sometimes twice as hard as in a car. While we don't have tinted windows, suction sun shades can serve just as good and we are sitting 6 feet up in the air, high above most Crown Victoria driving highway patrol officers. Usually enforcement of these laws is limited to the driver admitting fault.

We would all like to believe that CMV drivers are "laser focused on the road ahead" as LaHood thinks this regulation will promote, but the reality is that nobody spends all their time behind the wheel as focused as he would like and CMV drivers are no exception. I'm sure the Company & LaHood would like to believe that we are checking our mirrors every 5-8 seconds, substituting a guage every so often yada yada, but to do so is incredibly tedious for 10-11 hours of driving time. So for long stretches of open road, just like everyone else, we're on the phone, CB, listening to the radio/MP3/CD/Satellite/DVD, snacking, and checking out the hills & valleys in the bipedal scenery; basically doing anything to stay alert for the long trip ahead. Sure, I've seen the crazy people steering with their knees while they eat with a bowl and spoon, read a book or fully unfolded map, and apply makeup in the mirror. I have even seen one guy flossing with both hands. None of these are banned activities, and none actually led to an accident. Accidents happen regardless of whether you are doing everything right or not. Ever seen an officer driving and using his Toughbook? Apparently they possess some sort of superpowers that us mere mortal drivers will never receive.

Personally, most of this should just be common sense. I use a bluetooth because the noise cancelling ones are the only ones that I can be heard and understood with in the Tractor. Goofy looking as hell but they work. Texting shouldn't be an issue, as you can only do a few lines and common sense would say to type no more than 2 letters at a time and don't get too involved (I think the retarded touch screens have exacerbated the texting problem which is why I won't have one). But of course, you can't legislate common sense. Under LaHood's rules, using a Sony PSP would be legal so maybe I should switch to that.

So I say: "Get off my back LaHood". Just as I can manage to maintain my space cushion all around me while driving an 84 ft long set in rush hour traffic but still check the gauges, mirrors, and manage to shift up to 10 gears while changing the station on my Sirius, getting a traffic update on the CB, sipping on a RockStar while snacking on some pistachios, adjusting the climate control, wipers, mirror heat, sneezing into a tissue, and checking out that hottie in the p:pet:y window, slowing for the maroon who cut into my stopping distance, monitoring the GPS & watching for my exit sign, merging across 4 lanes of traffic into a split as I know the lanes go away ahead, keeping tabs on the speed limit, what mile marker I'm at and the clearance of that bridge approaching, merging left for that construction then back again, avoiding the road alligator & the stray dog, then clearing that bicyclist before I shut down the lane to button hook my turn, I promise I won't even break a sweat taking the phone from my chest pocket to answer a call from my panicked dispatcher who (once again) forgot to cover the 1915 air pull.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Why hands free also?
How is it any different than talking to a passenger, say my on car supe?
In fact it is probably less dangerous, there's a tendancy to look at somebody present while talking.
I run down my cell phone battery twice every day talking on my bluetooth while driving my package car.
Perhaps there should only be a seat in the front of vehicles with a soundproof passenger area in the back of all vehicles.

Bubble,
What I was thinking when I posted this is that the user has to remove the phone from it's storage location (pocket, holder, etc.) unlock the phone or slide it to answer and that's if you are answering. To call, it is even worse.

As I read your post, it occurred to me that the voice activated phones could be used with little or no distraction and taking your eyes off the road. I was not referring to these type of phone systems.

I personally do not talk on the phone while driving - this irritates the big boss (wife) and little boss (UPS Manager) at times but they know I will not do it. I also never look at the person I am conversing with while driving and will not look at the other person while they are driving. I have even told a couple of people before that I wish they would keep there eyes on the road rather than trying to establish eye-to-eye contact.

I take driving a 2 ton+ vehicle as a serious responsibility.