Handshake Agreement?

Re-Raise

Upstate I am in 710 and we do not have an hour deducted from our paid day for lunch like a lot of people on here do. The only un paid lunch time that comes off our day is what we decide to take and put in the board.

Some people don't put any lunch in, and are paid from start time until they punch out.

Our center manager tells us we should take at least 15 minutes each day. I stop at my house every day and record the time I am there. I never take a full hour and I am not giving the company anything for free.

AcesUp804

if someone wrote this already sorry , first guys should take there hour lunch every day ,, but guys that dont take lunch if they put in at least 10 minutes they dont show up the next morning on the no lunch report ,, so sups tell guys in my building take at least 10 minutes,,, this is why UPS got sued in California over no lunch years ago it will happen again ,,, TAKE YOUR WHOLE HOUR.

Re-Raise

The problem was that UPS was taking an hour from the driver's time and the drivers were working through this lunch period for free.

They used to do that here also. That has changed here, UPS no longer takes an hour off our time each day for lunch. The only time that comes off my day is what I put in.

As a driver group we have discussed whether it would matter to the company if we all sat for an hour and returned to the building later. Would that make them lower the dispatches?

I don't think they care because it doesn't change the planned day or the paid day.

Dark_Team_135

As a driver group we have discussed whether it would matter to the company if we all sat for an hour and returned to the building later. Would that make them lower the dispatches?

I don't think they care because it doesn't change the planned day or the paid day.

That may be true but if all of you took your full lunch would you still be able to do the job and make service on all of your packages within the time commits and get back to the building early enough to not affect the sort in the evening? If you work in a decent size center, I don't think so...

Also, the members should be taking their lunch during the period of time when the contract says it should be taken (3rd & 6th hour for example) not coming into the building and taking it there so they are able to "make service" on the packages...

babboo25

Banned
True but if he took his full lunch he would be paid for an additional 35 minutes of OT daily, which is why I used the 52 1/2. 52 1/2 @ $30/hr is roughly $27. $27*200 working days is $5,400 that he is giving back to the company each year.

I have 2 kids. I can fully understand where he is coming from. I have lost count of the number of school functions that I was either late for or missed entirely due to work.

I dont understand what your saying about the OT. Only time deducted from my check is what I put in. Doesnt matter either way, its still gonna be OT. I still avg 48-52 hours a week with only taking 15 minutes of break. On track to make 82-85k this year. Its impossible on this site to ask a simple question and get a simple answer. If you want to take your full lunch feel free, Wife and I both work, have kids, daycare not open 24 hours. I WILL NOT lose count of family and school functions. I come to work to make money, not to sit and eat.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There is a long standing argument over this. The fact remains that any driver not taking their lunch during the contracted hours or at least sometime during the day screws the cover/utility driver that does take their lunches..:angry:. In other words, you are screwing me and I DON'T like it. I have to take my lunch during the day not because it's in the contract but because if I don't, I don't function as well after a certain time.

Re-raise, I'm not sure how you are getting away with not putting your lunch time in (taking it or not is beside the point). We are not allowed to do that. Period. We get warning letters for not doing that and mgt has to authorize not putting it in. That NEVER happens.

After the CA lawsuit, it was my understanding that the policy was changed across the board that everyone had to put in their lunch time. Upper mgt, care to wade in on this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I dont understand what your saying about the OT. Only time deducted from my check is what I put in. Doesnt matter either way, its still gonna be OT. I still avg 48-52 hours a week with only taking 15 minutes of break. On track to make 82-85k this year. Its impossible on this site to ask a simple question and get a simple answer. If you want to take your full lunch feel free, Wife and I both work, have kids, daycare not open 24 hours. I WILL NOT lose count of family and school functions. I come to work to make money, not to sit and eat.

How are you averaging 48-52 hours a week? Haven't they heard of 9.5 in your center? I average 41-42 hours per week and, yes, I take my full lunch (45 minutes unpaid) and break (10 minutes paid). I am on pace to again make $70K this year, which is fine with me.

I still contend that you are giving them 35 minutes a day at OT rate if you are only taking a 15 minute lunch.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The problem was that UPS was taking an hour from the driver's time and the drivers were working through this lunch period for free.

They used to do that here also. That has changed here, UPS no longer takes an hour off our time each day for lunch. The only time that comes off my day is what I put in.

I don't think they care because it doesn't change the planned day or the paid day.[/QUOTE]

They would have to care on the business routes especially.
If the driver took his lunch during lunch time and had business stops left at the start of his pickup log and subsequently had deliveries to make after 5pm to commercial stops and they weren't there then blah blah blah....

You runner gunners keep running and gunning and the company will HAVE YOU FOR LUNCH!!!!!
They already are and you don't even realize it.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
How are you averaging 48-52 hours a week? Haven't they heard of 9.5 in your center? I average 41-42 hours per week and, yes, I take my full lunch (45 minutes unpaid) and break (10 minutes paid). I am on pace to again make $70K this year, which is fine with me.

I still contend that you are giving them 35 minutes a day at OT rate if you are only taking a 15 minute lunch.

The 9.5 language does not mean you cannot ever work over 9.5 hours. It is only to reduce overtime if you wish it reduced, nothing says if you want it you can't have it.

Re-Raise

I don't think they care because it doesn't change the planned day or the paid day.[/QUOTE]

They would have to care on the business routes especially.
If the driver took his lunch during lunch time and had business stops left at the start of his pickup log and subsequently had deliveries to make after 5pm to commercial stops and they weren't there then blah blah blah....

You runner gunners keep running and gunning and the company will HAVE YOU FOR LUNCH!!!!!
They already are and you don't even realize it.

Are you calling me a "runner gunner"?

We have drivers that get in at 8 p.m. and we drivers that get in at 4:30 p.m. The ones that are out late are told to run their businesses before they close and then return to delivering resi's.

They don't care when we get in, they care about stops per car and what our dispatch was.

I work at a pace I am comfortable with and take as long as I feel like for lunch up to an hour.

It may not be the same everywhere but we don't have to record a full hour in 710 anymore. Management asks us to record at least 15 minutes sometime during the day.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

We have drivers that get in at 8 p.m. and we drivers that get in at 4:30 p.m. The ones that are out late are told to run their businesses before they close and then return to delivering resi's.

They don't care when we get in, they care about stops per car and what our dispatch was.

I work at a pace I am comfortable with and take as long as I feel like for lunch up to an hour.

It may not be the same everywhere but we don't have to record a full hour in 710 anymore. Management asks us to record at least 15 minutes sometime during the day.

What is your state law requiring lunch breaks?

Re-Raise

We are being told by UPS that there is a handshake aggrement with local 710 about taking 10 minutes of lunch. Our steward say its not true, but we are being threatened with warning letters and termination if we dont take atleast 10 minutes of lunch. I usually take my 10 minute paid break and the 5 for lunch. Any other 710 centers being told the same? I know it doesnt seem like such a big deal, but being lied to is.

We haven't been told this , to avoid any possible problems I would take 10 minutes for lunch and let someone else call their bluff.

JonFrum

Babboo25 gets paid for the "other 35 minutes" of his lunch because the other 35 minutes isn't coded as a lunch, it's coded as work time. He is making deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minutes, just as you make deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minute interval that directly follows your lunch. His lunch is only 15 minutes long. Yours is longer. Both are unpaid. Both of you get paid from the moment you punch back in and resume work. Since his 15 minute unpaid lunch is in the middle of the day, the immediately following 35 minutes of work is paid at straight time.

The length of his lunch has no effect on his paycheck. He is paid for all work time. UPS does not automatically deduct the other 35 minutes from his workday or payday. Neither Babboo25 nor his payroll department are falsifying lunch records, as happens in other areas. He reports only the actual lunch taken, which is unpaid, and gets paid for all other time. He goes into overtime after 8 hours, which comes earlier in the day for him because his unpaid lunchtime was shorter than yours.

If he took an extra 35 minutes of unpaid lunch, he would return to the building 35 minutes later. If another driver covered his route and took the other 35 minutes as an unpaid lunch, he too would return to the building 35 minutes later (all else being equal), and he would have every right to be "late" because he has ever right to take his full lunch if he so chooses. Their SPORH would be the same.

If you still don't understand, we may have to organize an Intervention and come to you house to do the Deprograming. It may hurt a little.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

No. I'm not.
I almost included that in a P.S.
I've read enough of your posts to know better.
That's why I highlighted the passage that I referencing.
It's amazing to me the drivers that will skip lunch in the name of making service to business customers.
Do that and all you'll get more of same, day in and day out.
That was my only point.

babboo25

Banned
Babboo25 gets paid for the "other 35 minutes" of his lunch because the other 35 minutes isn't coded as a lunch, it's coded as work time. He is making deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minutes, just as you make deliveries (and possibly pickups) during the 35 minute interval that directly follows your lunch. His lunch is only 15 minutes long. Yours is longer. Both are unpaid. Both of you get paid from the moment you punch back in and resume work. Since his 15 minute unpaid lunch is in the middle of the day, the immediately following 35 minutes of work is paid at straight time.

The length of his lunch has no effect on his paycheck. He is paid for all work time. UPS does not automatically deduct the other 35 minutes from his workday or payday. Neither Babboo25 nor his payroll department are falsifying lunch records, as happens in other areas. He reports only the actual lunch taken, which is unpaid, and gets paid for all other time. He goes into overtime after 8 hours, which comes earlier in the day for him because his unpaid lunchtime was shorter than yours.

If he took an extra 35 minutes of unpaid lunch, he would return to the building 35 minutes later. If another driver covered his route and took the other 35 minutes as an unpaid lunch, he too would return to the building 35 minutes later (all else being equal), and he would have every right to be "late" because he has ever right to take his full lunch if he so chooses. Their SPORH would be the same.

If you still don't understand, we may have to organize an Intervention and come to you house to do the Deprograming. It may hurt a little.
THANK YOU!