Happy Birthday Canada

Big Duke 6

Happy Birthday,and whats for supper today?
here were going to

BBQ some sausages (slowly) @
taters n onions @
baked beans @
a 12 pack of Lakeport ale @
Watch the Ti-Cats kick *****

DS

Fenderbender
Happy Birthday,and whats for supper today?
here were going to

BBQ some sausages (slowly) @
taters n onions @
baked beans @
a 12 pack of Lakeport ale @
Watch the Ti-Cats kick *****
Lakeport? GAK!!!!...
The argos cleaned the ti-cats yesterday.
They changed it to Canada day from dominion day when we independanated from Britain .We agreed to leave the queens pic
on our $20bills.
We are just way polite.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I always thought Canada was just a really big 51st state of the U.S. where its really cold and they all watch hockey and talk funny.:wink2:

P

pickup

Lakeport? GAK!!!!...
The argos cleaned the ti-cats yesterday.
They changed it to Canada day from dominion day when we independanated from Britain .

Oh didja now? This little clipping from some website says volumes: 1999- The phrase "and that I will uphold my duties as a Canadian citizen, and obey the laws of Canada" is added to the Canadian oath of citizenship, along with the oath to the Queen.

If you are truly "independanated" from Britain, newly inducted citizens of Canada wouldn't have to take an oath to the Queen.

klein

Für Meno :)
Global Edmonton
Canadians spend over $50 million dollars a year to support the monarchy.
Should ties to the monarchy be cut once the Queen dies? We'll have some of your responses today at 5 on the Early News

P

pickup

Isn't 1999 the same year Hong Kong became "independanated" from Britain?

I believe 1997 was the year Hong Kong was "independanated" from the Brits. 1999 might be in your head because I believe that was the year that the Panama Canal was "independanated" from the U.S.A and back to Panama.

P

pickup

It was 1999 for Hong Kong.

taken from wikipedia:
in 1983, Hong Kong was reclassified from a British crown colony to a dependent territory. However with the lease of the New Territories due to expire within two decades, the governments of Britain and China were already discussing the issue of Hong Kong's sovereignty. In 1984 the two countries signed the Sino-British Joint Declaration, agreeing to transfer sovereignty to the People's Republic of China in 1997,[25] and stipulating that Hong Kong would be governed as a special administrative region, retaining its laws and a high degree of autonomy for at least fifty years after the transfer. The Hong Kong Basic Law, which would serve as the constitutional document after the transfer, was ratified in 1990, and the transfer of sovereignty occurred at midnight on 1 July 1997, marked by a handover ceremony at the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.[25]

I remember the transfer being done with Prince Charles in attendance.

I also remember being in elementarie (broken kee on kee board) school when Jimmie Carter signed the Panama Canal treatie which had this weird date of the last dae of december of 1999 being the dae of the transfer.

klein

Für Meno :)
Anyways, the Canada Day long weekend has began ! :)

Go ahead, say it loud and proud.

I picked up a 24 case of Molson today - came with a large size Canadian Flag ! :)
I`ll use it as a table cloth for my liquor sampling this weekend :)
Canadian Maple Syrup Tarts: A Canada Day celebration just wouldn’t be complete without butter tarts! Did you know that Butter Tarts are one of the few recipes that actually originated in Canada? Pioneers used to make them for dessert, and the tradition still continues today!

Last edited: