Happy Easter!

Up In Smoke

Truly fulfilling and yet sad day. As small business owners in our community do each holiday, we team up and prepare and deliver meals to the different shelters and shut-ins. I have always taken the Catholic homeless shelter as my facility of choice. This facility houses between 12 and 20 men between the ages of 45 and 75. It also doubles as a warming shelter during the winter and can house more than 40 per night. These men come from all walks of life but the most common thread they have is military service. My day was filled with war stories and bonds that are stronger than family. We eat, laugh, cry and play countless games of cribbage, hearts and sheepshead. The truly sad part is these men have the financial means to keep and maintain a home or apartment, but make the conscience decision to stay homeless. Between SS and military pensions many of these men are pulling down 3k per month and still wish to live this way. I don't try to intervene, just listen and try to understand. I will wake up tomorrow and go to work and the conversations will fade away until the next holiday. I wish I had the answers, I wish I could break the chain, but in the end all I can do is spend a few hours 3-4 times of year listening. Thank you to all our military, active and retired, may god keep you safe.