happy managers and skeptical teamsters

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Thanks for perpetuating the stereotype that management people are total heartless morons; you do those of us in management who do care a grave disservice, and I'd be ashamed to work next to anyone who thought as you do.

LOL wtf are you talking about? where in any of what i said does it say i don't care?

badpal.

avoiding brown kool-aid
Yet another young guy drunk off the "power" of being a PT Sup at UPS. We all chose our paths at UPS. I chose and for the most part enjoy my job as a FT delivery driver. I'd rather do that then be sold a false sense of importance (or self inflated ego) as a PT Sup. I'm lucky to only have to deal with the morning and after OMS ladies and they are kick-ass (in my center at least). When I do have to deal with the night side PT Sups, I have to contain my laughter at some guy with less seniority than some of my work boots trying to tell me how to do my job when they have absolutely no clue.

browniehound

how is any supervisor underpaid?

a PT supe makes far more, per week or per hour, than a PT hourly (non-driving) and a FT supe makes at least as much, if not more than a FT driver, for far less work

I may have to disagree here about the FT sup making more than a driver for less work. He very well make more per year but my on-road sup is at work 2 hours before I punch in and is there well after I punch out. For sake of argument lets say he stays 1 hour after I punch out. And lets say I make $300/day as a driver and he makes $350/day. I punch out at 645 on average every night so my on-road works from 645am-745pm which would put his hourly pay at about $26 which is $5 less per hour than my wage and it doesn't carry all the BS that comes with a management job. I'm just saying.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I may have to disagree here about the FT sup making more than a driver for less work. He very well make more per year but my on-road sup is at work 2 hours before I punch in and is there well after I punch out. For sake of argument lets say he stays 1 hour after I punch out. And lets say I make $300/day as a driver and he makes $350/day. I punch out at 645 on average every night so my on-road works from 645am-745pm which would put his hourly pay at about $26 which is $5 less per hour than my wage and it doesn't carry all the BS that comes with a management job. I'm just saying.

He was trolling.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman

if your on-car is actually working 13 hour days, he needs to take some time-management seminars

it's an 8 hour job, if that, if you know how to put your ducks in a row

except for those days where there aren't enough drivers or there's an accident

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Your on-car sup is stupid.
Can't fix stupid.

Limper

Out For Delivery
What irrates both my on-road sup and dispatch sup is what they have to pay for their crappy healthcare coverage.
My supervisor recently was forced to pay $3000 out of pocket for his child's ct-scan, something that be fully paid for a driver's child.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The on-car job is most certainly not an 8 hour job nor should it be a 13 hour job.

My on-car (recently retired) would come in for 7:30 and would leave between 5-7 pm.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
if your on-car is actually working 13 hour days, he needs to take some time-management seminars

In all of my years with the company I have NEVER seen a FT supervisor work an 8 hour day,unless they died on the job.
In my building, since the mid 80's it has been common for Driver supes to report in at 7 am,and on an average day leave between 1830-1900. During audits,management vacation coverage,problems on the evening sort, ERI and Safety commitees,shortage of drivers,or any myriad of other problems that can arise it is not uncommon for them to work until 2100-2200.
With the huge failure that is PAS, hours that they may have once spent doing other things are now spent shuttling misloads( yes we file,but the company would rather pay than have service failures) Our Preload supervisor ROUTINELY works 13-15 hours a day with untold hours being spent chasing misloads

david426

how is any supervisor underpaid?

a PT supe makes far more, per week or per hour, than a PT hourly (non-driving) and a FT supe makes at least as much, if not more than a FT driver, for far less work

Been there 27 years.. Best bang for the Buck is Feeders.. Easy work.. You make the most money with the least stress.. Our feeder Dept is great to.. Its like working for a totally different company.. Part-time and Package car suck.. When I walk through the building in the morning on my way to the feeder dept.. You can see the stress and feel the tension in the air just looking around at the management and drivers.. I work in a very large hub,which is very numbers oriented.. I've noticed the small satellite hubs in some of these small towns where I travel too in Feeders, things are much much more laid back. . The big wigs don't really micromanage these hubs as they are not big revenue generators.. I guess it varies from hub to hub

CAFAL

I may have to disagree here about the FT sup making more than a driver for less work. He very well make more per year but my on-road sup is at work 2 hours before I punch in and is there well

after I punch out. For sake of argument lets say he stays 1 hour after I punch out. And lets say I make $300/day as a driver and he makes $350/day. I punch out at 645 on average every night so my on-road works from 645am-745pm which would put his hourly pay at about $26 which is $5 less per hour than my wage and it doesn't carry all the BS that comes with a management job. I'm just saying.

Also don't you forget to take into account the stock and money bonuses. And the fact of not having to deal with the driving bs

Box_Junkie

I work in a small facility with 22-25 routes run on average and it has its moments but is laid back for the most part. Our center manager and on road sups are there from 7-7:30am-7pm usually. They do pay a chunk of change for their benefits and they are always getting reamed by DM. I would say they like the job but thats because they were lousy drivers or the physical stuff wasn't for them. I say to each their own, I personally like the being out on my own on a route with physical work and as long as I do my job...No reaming conference calls. and free healthcare!

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
a dead on description borrowed from airops

Have you done the math to find the target pay for your job. Based on a 45 hour work week the target for my job is $7.00 below a Drivers wage. I was promoted from a Driver over 20 years ago. I paid almost $3,000 for benefits last year. I don't have 30 and out. I buy my own clothes to work. You can all fill in more negatives.

I was told that the pay bands were started because no one wanted to be promoted. I'm thinking most people realize that they can't afford to take a promotion. UPS is the only company I know that equates a promotion to a cut in compensation.

UPS wants our pay to be equal to similar jobs in the industry. Have they looked at our work environment? Cinder block walls, desks made out of 2 draw filing cabinets, I share my office with many people, heat set very cold in winter and hot in summer, computer systems that were written in DOS, this list could also go on forever. The fact is there are not similar jobs out there. No other company disrespects their management more than UPS. Just listen to any Operation Conference Call.

I agree with many others. My compensation is good. But it's not more than the Teamster jobs and the responsibility is crazy. I fear for the company that I've given so much to help create. I think we just went down a very dark road.​

tourists24

maybe its an 8 hour day where you are but Ive been here 23 years and Ive yet to see a full time sup besides maybe HR or sales reps putting in 8 hour days consistently.... I have a feeling its that way a lot of places too

david426

I've been with the Company for almost 27 years.. I started part time in 1985, became a Union Steward in 1986, because I saw so many contract violations, it made me sick. I received a degree (Bachelor of Science in Business Administration).. I applied for a Full time Management (1991).. I was told that I must work as a Full-Time Package Car Driver before a promotion was considered for me.. I learned very quickly that the Managers and Supervisors I worked for had little education and that UPS has a Command and Control Management style.. In other words, upper management dictates and middle management controls and upholds those dictations.. ***** rolls downhill.. I'm very creative and not very structure oriented or into someone else telling me what to do, because thats the way it is. (Militaristic Management style).. I should have left UPS at that point.. To bad.. I chose to stay and am working in the Feeder Department as of 2006. I'm happy, however feel like I never will see my full potential with this Company.. I'm not willing to take a pay-cut,pay for benefits and stress out for a crappy Supervisor Position.. It is what it is.. No bad feelings for anyone.. There are a lot of great people in this company,, Management as well as Hourly.. I've had a great career and have seen some really quality folks quit or get fired (both sides) and a lot of not so good folks get promoted because Human Resources has to comply with EEOC Guidelines... It is what it is...

Integrity

Binge Poster

TearsInRain,

I believe you may be wrong about this.

I saw an official UPS On-Car Supervisor Daily Plan hanging in one of the centers in a building I used to work in.

If I remember correctly the plan called for a 10 Hour day, maybe more, but I think it was 10.

Maybe you can check on this.

Has anyone else seen this document?

Sincerely,
I

Limper

Out For Delivery
The plan our center has been using is a 150 stops per car. But the word is they're going to a " 9.1 to 9.3 per car" plan.
One thing is certain: my 1100 paid dispatch isn't likely to change anytime soon.

browniehound

Also don't you forget to take into account the stock and money bonuses. And the fact of not having to deal with the driving bs
i still firmly believe the best job in the company is driver. I take into account the money, freedom, work, etc. Unless you think you can make center manager or above, I truly believe the driver job is the best.

Let's face it, there are zero jobs at UPS that are easy. This is why I would always want to stay a driver, i e, no worries once I punch out. UPS in the rear view mirror. I heard that my center manager (back in 2002) would call the center every day on his vacation and ask what the center's numbers were. Is that really a vacation then? I don't need that crap and never want it.

I want to work hard every day and go home and relax. I don't want to go home or vacation and think about work.

that's all i'm saying

Catatonic

Nine Lives
TearsInRain,

I believe you may be wrong about this.

I saw an official UPS On-Car Supervisor Daily Plan hanging in one of the centers in a building I used to work in.

If I remember correctly the plan called for a 10 Hour day, maybe more, but I think it was 10.

Maybe you can check on this.

Has anyone else seen this document?

Sincerely,
I

It is 9 hours per day ... ask HR.

Maybe 10 if you include an hour lunch.