HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL MY EXPRESS COURIERS

STFXG

Then why did they used to give incentives to keep employees for many years? Ultimately now they'd rather have high turnover and higher profits. I just don't think they'll thrive with a workforce that mostly doesn't care because there's no incentives to help this company thrive.
"Why did they" is the key phrase there. The employment market has changed. Health insurance and health care costs have skyrocketed. There's no benefit to keeping employees around long term.

Churn and burn them. It takes a month to get a courier to be proficient. If the company is averaging 2 years per employee they are oing great; saving a significant amount on payroll and health costs. Run their bodies down, beat them up for a couple years, and let them move on.

bbsam

Staff member
"Why did they" is the key phrase there. The employment market has changed. Health insurance and health care costs have skyrocketed. There's no benefit to keeping employees around long term.

Churn and burn them. It takes a month to get a courier to be proficient. If the company is averaging 2 years per employee they are oing great; saving a significant amount on payroll and health costs. Run their bodies down, beat them up for a couple years, and let them move on.
Sad but true.

vantexan

Most people aren't willing to run like maniacs for a company who'll just use them and dump them. If there's no future, many won't apply. And word does get around. Better to take a less paying job that won't kill you than waste your time with one that might.

Goldilocks

My mgr looked me in the eye and said the rules have changed, can't rehire you at your old pay. After signing the offer letter called HR. True, she said, but in areas where FedEx has a hard time hiring someone they can still rehire former employees at their previous pay. But since I signed the offer letter I'm out of luck she said. Find it hard to believe the two mgrs involved in my hiring, one the station's hiring mgr, didn't know this. They'd gone more than 6 months covering this FT rt from 125 miles away which caused them major problems with the 14 hr rule. So now as long as I'm at FedEx I'll have to struggle much more than I would have. And when a jerk comes on here after all that he gets my disrespect. The really pathetic thing is that giving me my percentage of range back, which would've only put me a little over $19hr, would've kept me here until 60. Now they'll have to go through this all over again in 2 years. Really short-sighted.

Can you fight this? I know of a few that have left and able to come back at the same pay level.

Goldilocks

Then why did they used to give incentives to keep employees for many years? Ultimately now they'd rather have high turnover and higher profits. I just don't think they'll thrive with a workforce that mostly doesn't care because there's no incentives to help this company thrive.

Van, I once long ago back in the late 80's had a wonderful manager tell me to get out now. She said she did not like what the company was having her do to her couriers and the companies philosophy. She saw our futures and cared to share this with us. But many of us were blind. Shortly after exposing the truth, she left the company.

BigTex61

Several years ago during one of the buyouts, alot of our ops managers left because they feared if they didn't take the buyout, they would be let go without any seperation offer or money. This was when we had ops managers that could actually run a route themselves and could survive a check ride without having a heart attack. My departing manager told me then what the big plan was and get out soon. He said the plan was to replace current, experienced management with much younger "yes men" types who's only job is to take orders from Memphis and manage by spreadsheet and bogus reports. He was spot on. I guess that's how we wound up the the "Dano Type" maroon manager's today running Express into the ground. All current management is capable of today is pointing at reports and memorizing useless one liner talking points. Van, it will never go back to the way it was.

vantexan

Can you fight this? I know of a few that have left and able to come back at the same pay level.
Used to be if you came back within a year you'd get hired back at previous pay. That's changed, you have start all over again, with the exception that if it's an area where they have difficulty finding qualified candidates. Certainly was out here. In two years my wife and I are heading south. If FedEx wants to keep me they'll have to restore my percentage of range, adjusted for this payscale and all raises since being rehired. Not holding my breath.

vantexan

Van, I once long ago back in the late 80's had a wonderful manager tell me to get out now. She said she did not like what the company was having her do to her couriers and the companies philosophy. She saw our futures and cared to share this with us. But many of us were blind. Shortly after exposing the truth, she left the company.
I remember a personnel rep(back when they called them that) who really went after mgrs for mistreating couriers. Really cared about us. The company got rid of her.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I remember a personnel rep(back when they called them that) who really went after mgrs for mistreating couriers. Really cared about us. The company got rid of her.

My HR rep is an idiot. His response to me being screwed out of pay was, "Look at the positive side..... At least when you retire, you will get a pension. A lot of companies are doing away with theirs".

I'm so glad he wasn't standing in front of me because I wouldn't have been able to stop myself from punching him. I've never been so angry in my life, as at that moment.

hypo hanna

Several years ago during one of the buyouts, alot of our ops managers left because they feared if they didn't take the buyout, they would be let go without any seperation offer or money. This was when we had ops managers that could actually run a route themselves and could survive a check ride without having a heart attack. My departing manager told me then what the big plan was and get out soon. He said the plan was to replace current, experienced management with much younger "yes men" types who's only job is to take orders from Memphis and manage by spreadsheet and bogus reports. He was spot on. I guess that's how we wound up the the "Dano Type" maroon manager's today running Express into the ground. All current management is capable of today is pointing at reports and memorizing useless one liner talking points. Van, it will never go back to the way it was.
So true! My currant manager has been bouncing around the district for years and was useless at everything she did with exception of kissing butt. Naturally she was promoted. And your description is dead on in how she "manages" the operation. Manage by reports, never gets her precious hands dirty no matter how far in the hole we are and skips out early most Fridays and days before holidays. Putting the next brown noser in charge.
Pitiful.

Bankrupt

So true! My currant manager has been bouncing around the district for years and was useless at everything she did with exception of kissing butt. Naturally she was promoted. And your description is dead on in how she "manages" the operation. Manage by reports, never gets her precious hands dirty no matter how far in the hole we are and skips out early most Fridays and days before holidays. Putting the next brown noser in charge.
Pitiful.
We must work at the same sta, sounds just like my sm.

Sent using BrownCafe App

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

I know an HR person that recently left the company after finally realizing she was nothing but their operative, and not a "rep" for employees in any sense of the word. As with most of them, they're only seen in-person when there is a termination and/or suspension, but the last time I saw her she just looked like someone had just kicked the tar of her. It was so bad that I just asked her flat-out of she was OK, and she said we should meet at lunch "off the property".

At Starbucks, she just let loose and started crying, basically telling me she was tired of being a tool and that the direction the company had taken had left her extremely troubled. Over and over, she was being told to never take the side of the employee unless told to do so by FedEx Legal. She truly felt guilty and shamed by what she was being forced to do, and admitted she had been part of many faulty terminations and various levels of discipline. After 30 minutes of this, I basically told her exactly what several of you have just stated, as in managers being rewarded for ass-kissing and being Letter Nazis while the operation burned-down around them...typical for Express these days.

Anyway, she quit shortly thereafter and was hired by a Fortune 50 company for a third more than she was making after over 20 years with FedEx. That's starting pay, and the benefits made ours look like nothing in comparison.

One of the nicest, most decent people I had ever met at FedEx, and they just killed her spirit and any remaining allegiance to the company. Just as they have with so many others.

Bravo Zulu to her for doing the right thing. Happy she got out, and may more of you do the same. If you're young enough, leave now, because, unlike the LGBT campaign, it isn't getting better.

BigTex61

Even some of the ops managers today are spilling the beans about what's going on behind the scene's. They're getting pressured from upper management to enforce us to do the impossible. They are in a way caught in the middle, but screw them. It seems like a race to bottom at this point.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I know an HR person that recently left the company after finally realizing she was nothing but their operative, and not a "rep" for employees in any sense of the word. As with most of them, they're only seen in-person when there is a termination and/or suspension, but the last time I saw her she just looked like someone had just kicked the tar of her. It was so bad that I just asked her flat-out of she was OK, and she said we should meet at lunch "off the property".

At Starbucks, she just let loose and started crying, basically telling me she was tired of being a tool and that the direction the company had taken had left her extremely troubled. Over and over, she was being told to never take the side of the employee unless told to do so by FedEx Legal. She truly felt guilty and shamed by what she was being forced to do, and admitted she had been part of many faulty terminations and various levels of discipline. After 30 minutes of this, I basically told her exactly what several of you have just stated, as in managers being rewarded for ass-kissing and being Letter Nazis while the operation burned-down around them...typical for Express these days.

Anyway, she quit shortly thereafter and was hired by a Fortune 50 company for a third more than she was making after over 20 years with FedEx. That's starting pay, and the benefits made ours look like nothing in comparison.

One of the nicest, most decent people I had ever met at FedEx, and they just killed her spirit and any remaining allegiance to the company. Just as they have with so many others.

Bravo Zulu to her for doing the right thing. Happy she got out, and may more of you do the same. If you're young enough, leave now, because, unlike the LGBT campaign, it isn't getting better.
Good for her. I'll bet her health improved 100% after leaving this garbage company that's run by Hitler & friends.