Harambe-The silver back gorilla

Do you think OpNeeds is the Purple Princess?

• Total voters

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was hoping someone would set this up as a poll.

I think the zoo officials jumped the gun. The child was in no immediate danger and non-lethal measures should have been considered.

oldngray

nowhere special
It looks like they had no choice. There were 2 female gorillas they were able to get away from the child but the male was dragging the kid around and wouldn't let him go. A tranquilizer dart wasn't an option because it would take too long to knock him out. Tragic but the choices were either a dead child or a dead gorilla.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I was hoping someone would set this up as a poll.

I think the zoo officials jumped the gun. The child was in no immediate danger and non-lethal measures should have been considered.
Put your granddaughter into this scenario......you'd be aiming the gun!! If that child was slammed into the wall and knocked unconscious, he would've drowned. So many scenarios, none of them good for the child. Wild animals are unpredictable and he was already agitated because of the screaming people.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Jeff Corwin and Jack Hannah are experts who have studied wild animals and their behaviors all their lives. I'm not going to go against them. I do believe the Cincinnati Zoo should send the family a bill for a rare silverback gorilla.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Jeff Corwin and Jack Hannah are experts who have studied wild animals and their behaviors all their lives. I'm not going to go against them. I do believe the Cincinnati Zoo should send the family a bill for a rare silverback gorilla.
I agree. As horrible as the death of a rare gorilla, a child's life is more important any day.

oldngray

nowhere special
The mom is already defending herself and the zoo's actions on facebook. Kind of a weak defense when her first act was to run to social media. Maybe she was distracted with her nose in her cell phone but she was correct in saying 4 year old kids can climb into almost anything.