Harassed daily.

I was intimidated, harassed and threatened when I opted in the 9.5 list. since then, it got so bad that I ended up in the E.R. for severe stress and anxiety by my crummy boss. After missing all of February, I get released by my doctor to come back to without restrictions. My boss gave me a list of job related requirements to have my doctor sign off on. One of the requirements was that I needed to be able to work UP TO 9.5 hours per day, 5 days a week. My doctor signed off on that but added (that I cannot exceed working 9.5 hours in a 24 hour period). my boss allowed me to work when I returned (earlier than supposed to), because he was short-handed, I got my space and visibilty ride the same day, and then that evening told me that my work release wasn't good enough. Now I am sitting at home because he won't allow me on road. The union says I'm cleared by my doctor and should be working, yet here I sit. Should I? Could I file a lawsuit? I've been an incident free driver for 18 years, and since opting in 9.5, I've been harassed, threatened, stressed, intimidated, and over dispatched deliberately almost every day. The union does nothing. Any opinions on my potential suit?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Did you file grievances for the harassment? Perhaps file for unemployment since the company is making it's decision against your doctors best advice? There's really no grounds for a lawsuit that I can tell.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If your grievances aren't heard, your best bet is to file charges against the union for failing to represent you and/or your co-workers.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
They just want me to be able to work 14 hours is all. The cannot go against a doctor's work release orders.
No, they can't go against doctors orders but they don't have to work you either. If you don't have a full release they don't have to put you back to work in the position that you were in. Our contract protects us from over 9.5's only 3 days a week. The other 2 ------------- it is what it is.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He/she could write a letter to the co, union requesting a job accom. for their medical issues, as well (ADA). This might be the best route, then you've done your part and you can then push further with legal advise if the work-related health issue isn't taken care of.

Well the list they wanted me to give to the doctor was specific. That I was to be able to UP TO 9.5 hours a day. It didn't say 9.5 PLUS, in excess of 9.5, etc. So therefor I am in compliance with what UPS demands. They should have never given me the note to be signed off on. A work release without restrictions is what I got.

UPSGUY72

There has to be more to this story than the OP is telling. You have been driving for UPS 18 years and all of a sudden now that you sign the 9.5 list they are stressing you out so bad that you couldn't work for a month. Things don't add up something or things are missing.

UPSGUY72

Well the list they wanted me to give to the doctor was specific. That I was to be able to UP TO 9.5 hours a day. It didn't say 9.5 PLUS, in excess of 9.5, etc. So therefor I am in compliance with what UPS demands. They should have never given me the note to be signed off on. A work release without restrictions is what I got.

Do you understand how the 9.5 hours list works ??? Just because your on the 9.5 hr list doesn't mean they can't work you more than 9.5 hrs. How can you doctor say that at 9.5hrs of work you turn into a pumpkin so you can't work more than 9.5 hours ever ????

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from. I am not so stressed about being over 9.5 as I am abouth the harrasment. (driver getting warning letter for staying hydrated, I got on for have ing only one hand on the wheel, yet never addressed for days. No proof to either claim. Non stop following etc, etc, so I finally felt extremely unfit to drive one day, and they said to go to the E.R. so I did. Doctor said I was stressed-like all of us are-and to take a few weeks off and go back when I'm ready. Well I am ready. The company has me give a form to my doctor with my required job duties and she signs it. Everything is square. I t says I must work up to 9.5 hours and doctor say I can, but due to the constant stress from management in my center, I am not to work over 9.5. DOCTOR'S ORDERS. Union says I'm right, yet I am not working.

QKRSTKR

You need to get a full work release. I don't blame ups on this one. What if it snows or you have a vehicle breakdown? They have to rush that fast to get you off under 9.5 or what? Sorry, Don't like how ups does overtime, but you can't have a restriction saying you can't work over 9.5.

i would pursue the union side more. Why haven't your grievances been heard? Do you have monthly union meetings? Do you have a local with a business agent and president. Start raising hell.

menotyou

bella amicizia

All I know is if your dr wrote a note stating you can't work over 9.5, he
1. got that language from some one.
2. was coached to say that.

UPSGUY72

All I know is if your dr wrote a note stating you can't work over 9.5, he
1. got that language from some one.
2. was coached to say that.

Bingo

It's pretty obvious that the OP doesn't want to work more than 9.5 hr a day EVER they probably don't want to work any OT. There signing the 9.5 list doesn't make that happen it just adds to there pay check when the company violates the 9.5 language.

However signing the 9.5 list isn't the OP only problem with UPS there are more happenings that they are not talking about.