Hardship transfers

helenofcalifornia

Anybody heard of UPS giving any hardship transfers lately? I know they were given out alot more freely in the 80's and 90's, but how about now? Have a friend looking for one but he really doesn't even know if it's possible with the UPS of today.

SmithBarney

Only to Hawaii...

Its possible, contact HR, they will work with you..
but you better have a good "story" or whatever.

My HR tried but failed to get me anything other than
a shining recommendation for re-hire.

But its ok, purple is starting to grow on me..

helenofcalifornia

As long as it's not purple and green. Purple and pink doesn't have to work as hard as the purple and green. I feel sorry for those people. Yeah, I haven't seen or heard of any hardship transfers in the past 10-15 years. Thanks.

UPS Lifer

I personally know a supervisor that transferred because his daughter needed special medical attention and was put into a program at a hospital in the Boston area. The supervisor was allowed to transfer at his own expense and it happened quickly.

Your friend needs to contact HR. they need to be prepared to have it in writing.

UPSWife84

Does anyone have print proof of UPS's transfer policy? I am the wife of a UPS driver and I have educational and employment oppoturtunity and they won't transfer my husband.

over9five

Staff member
Because it's not you who works there. Hardship transfers are allegedly given, but so far and few between...

I hope someone can help you, but I've only heard of transfers when the employee (not his spouse) has a dying family member that he has to care for.

Good luck.

browndevil

Does anyone have print proof of UPS's transfer policy? I am the wife of a UPS driver and I have educational and employment oppoturtunity and they won't transfer my husband.
I have heard of whats called a "trailing spouse" transfer. I've only seen it once in 22 years and it was a mgmt person. The circumstance was the husband of UPSer was transfered to the East Coast and he was the primary breadwinner in the household.
Good luck contact HR and your husband's local union and keep us informed

upsgrunt

Not to sound crass, but what is the hardship? Sounds like the possibility of a new start for your husband. One that doesn't involve UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not to sound crass, but what is the hardship? Sounds like the possibility of a new start for your husband. One that doesn't involve UPS.

That was my initial thought, as well as wondering why the educational and employment opportunity were not available at your current location.

I don't think this involves UPS at all and, if you and your husband wish to move, it should be of your own accord and he should then apply for a position at the UPS in your new location.

UPS Lifer

I have seen a hardship transfer for a mgmt person whose daughter had a rare condition which was only treated by a facility on the east coast. He had to pay for the relocation but was offered a similar job to the one he had on the west coast. It toke several months to accommodate the transfer.

I can tell you that education of a spouse would probably not qualify. You would have a better chance at winning the lottery.

M

Mike23

Didn't anyone else have to sign the contract stating, 'UPS is a communist company and hereby will state we will help you but will not do so if it's inconvenient for us...which it is ALWAYS considered inconvenient so therefore you're screwed'?

I think it's the sister contract of the UPS management one which states, 'If we like you and you play our little games, screw over drivers and make us look good we will cover up anything you may have done in the past so that you never get fired'?

A

anonymous6

Anybody heard of UPS giving any hardship transfers lately? I know they were given out alot more freely in the 80's and 90's, but how about now? Have a friend looking for one but he really doesn't even know if it's possible with the UPS of today.

I received a hardship transfer but it took 3 years of fighting both the union and the company to get it.

I hired a mob lawyer ( friend of the family ) after 3 years and had the transfer 2 weeks later.

not kidding. ( ask Bronco )