Harrisburg East Hub

km3

Biggest tip I can give coming from just surpassing my 30 days is be punctual, do not miss any days. Everyone I was hired with was canned for being late. Literally I'm the only one left. Other than that just work hard. Depending on how much physical labor you do, your first week will suck tremendously. Good luck.

It varies by location, but attendance and punctuality are huge. I was injured in my 34 days and I was told I would be terminated once the worker's comp process was finished. The next day, the sort manager who told me he was going to fire me told me that because of my attendance, he would keep me around instead. Good attendance could save your job if something else ends up happening.

Otherwise, I've seen people call-in 3 times a week for the duration of their probation and still get kept on. Just a matter of how desperate they are for people, I guess. I don't like it, personally, since the people who don't show up screw over the people who do.

Undertow82

It varies by location, but attendance and punctuality are huge. I was injured in my 34 days and I was told I would be terminated once the worker's comp process was finished. The next day, the sort manager who told me he was going to fire me told me that because of my attendance, he would keep me around instead. Good attendance could save your job if something else ends up happening.

Otherwise, I've seen people call-in 3 times a week for the duration of their probation and still get kept on. Just a matter of how desperate they are for people, I guess. I don't like it, personally, since the people who don't show up screw over the people who do.

Thankfully I wasn't injured but I can see how they would keep people they know want to work. Like I said I've been at my location just over my 30 days and can already see turn over is a disaster there. One guy literally came in as we were all leaving one morning around 9 am. Got a warning. Couple days later, an hour late and it was his last day. Multiple others too. A couple that have been hired in the next group worked about 2 days and never came back. I just tell everyone that's "new" to just get through that first week physically and mentally and you're golden as long as you want to work.

km3

Thankfully I wasn't injured but I can see how they would keep people they know want to work. Like I said I've been at my location just over my 30 days and can already see turn over is a disaster there. One guy literally came in as we were all leaving one morning around 9 am. Got a warning. Couple days later, an hour late and it was his last day. Multiple others too. A couple that have been hired in the next group worked about 2 days and never came back. I just tell everyone that's "new" to just get through that first week physically and mentally and you're golden as long as you want to work.

Tougher than I am. I thought about walking out every day for the first 3 weeks. But I also started in a really hard area that has a nearly 100% turnover rate for new hires. Worst area in the building, as far as I'm concerned. I was so relieved they moved me when I got off TAW.

Overall turnover in my building is about 95% over a period of one year, about 80% over 6 months, and about 65% for those who are in their 34 days. So many people come to work here for the benefits, and the vast majority just can't make it. It's understandable though. Rent is too high to work this kind of job for minimum wage, and the economy is decent enough that you could easily find a job that pays two or three dollars more per hour for less actual work.

Last edited:

MrsRodrigo

Injury right away sucks. Fingers crossed I don't have that problem. I'd be tempted to work through it if possible as suggested that way they can't hold it over my head. :bigsmile2: Glad they took that into account for you.

I'm still not sure how the turnover is in this hub but it was oddly quiet. It seemed like everyone was just working - only heard the belt. I was torn about how I felt about that. Either this day shift had a good crew or a scared crew. Who knows.

I'll have to go back for my second interview during the twi shift and hope I can get a better sense for it. Although I kinda hope it's the same deal. I'm there to work and I don't call in, it would be great to be with a group doing the same.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Injury right away sucks. Fingers crossed I don't have that problem. I'd be tempted to work through it if possible as suggested that way they can't hold it over my head. :bigsmile2: Glad they took that into account for you.

I'm still not sure how the turnover is in this hub but it was oddly quiet. It seemed like everyone was just working - only heard the belt. I was torn about how I felt about that. Either this day shift had a good crew or a scared crew. Who knows.

I'll have to go back for my second interview during the twi shift and hope I can get a better sense for it. Although I kinda hope it's the same deal. I'm there to work and I don't call in, it would be great to be with a group doing the same.

It's a pretty good crew for the most part. People come in, do their work and go home. We have only ever had one sup in there blowing his chest out and trying to rule with a strong fist but he has been let go, pretty much just for being an a-hole. And the belts are loud so it's hard to hear people over them, but there is always chatter on the sort isle.