harry potter books.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Anyone hear that we will be working on saturday the 21st.the post office was suppose to be delivering the books....ups basic, but the teamsters did a mational grivence now most of our building is working only delivering these books to stores and the general public. Can anyone with knowledge answer if this series of books have been the biggest selling in book history. I think the author was homeless before she wrote the first book, now she is a multi-millionaire...pretty amazing.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

browniehound

Unless I was forced, UPS couldn't pay me enough to work a Saturday in July.

And I can't understand why someone can't wait until Monday to read the book. Its not like its going to run away from them??????

I know, I'm not a Harry Potter fan so I don't get. I guess its like those middle-aged men that dressed up like Darth Vader and C3PO when Star Wars Episode I premired. I guess if I didn't work for UPS I would have the time to act like a child too.

mis_load

I know in our center we were given a sign up sheet about a month ago. For those of us who wanted to work. This week center supervisors visited the extended area post offices with a letter from post office and projected volume for each post office. This a real big deal for UPS from what I heard.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
brownie, there was a sign up list but hardly anyone did it. Now they are forcing most to come in...there that damn many books.It will be all overtime and we can ask for 8 hours if we want, have you had a pcm about this??

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes misload, a HUGE deal. I guess fedex kinda had the same thing last week with the new apple i phones, that would have been nice for ups to deliver. Is apple computer a 100% fedex account???

browniehound

brownie, there was a sign up list but hardly anyone did it. Now they are forcing most to come in...there that damn many books.It will be all overtime and we can ask for 8 hours if we want, have you had a pcm about this??

Cold, there was a sign-up sheet here also. I never heard a PCM about it though. I have been on vacation twice in the last month so I probably missed it if there was one.

W

westsideworma

Yes misload, a HUGE deal. I guess fedex kinda had the same thing last week with the new apple i phones, that would have been nice for ups to deliver. Is apple computer a 100% fedex account???

I'm not sure about that (Apple) I ordered an iPod once and it came UPS, I ordered 2 more (one was a present and the other a replacement for the one I broke...ooops) and they came FedEx. My Powerbook (apple laptop) came fedex too. So I'm not really sure what their deal with us is.

S

Simple Guy

Let me get this straight...I don't know exactly how it happened, but I'm speculating as follows:

First, UPS figured that since our Sat. air drivers can't contractually deliver ground pkgs they'd turn the books destined for Sat. delivery over to the post office. Looks like there was no choice since noone can get their books before 12:01am Saturday morning.

Then, after it was too late to change the shipping labels on the books, the union balked at UPS following the contract and somehow got UPS to agree to let the drivers decide if they wanted to work on Saturday and deliver the books in a certain area.

So, on that Friday, the sups and managers have to figure out a way to sift through a million packages that are labeled wrong (prior to driver leave building time) and figure out which packages are supposed to be dropped off at post offices and which are supposed to be delivered by drivers that want to work on Saturday.

Maybe it's just me, but it's no wonder the non-union companies are kicking our a**es. It's going to be nearly impossible to get this right. Maybe we should have agreed to open our counters for will-call at 12:01 Saturday morning. I'm sure some of the people would have gotten their books that way and saved us some miles. Hope we pull this off - potentially a lot of unhappy customers if they don't get their books - which seems like it could happen with this coordination nightmare.

sendagain

If all they are delivering is Harry Potter books, I can't imagine it being anything like what we go through every Christmas. If we can't get this done we shouldn't be in business.

Channahon

Anyone hear that we will be working on saturday the 21st.the post office was suppose to be delivering the books....ups basic, but the teamsters did a mational grivence now most of our building is working only delivering these books to stores and the general public. Can anyone with knowledge answer if this series of books have been the biggest selling in book history. I think the author was homeless before she wrote the first book, now she is a multi-millionaire...pretty amazing.:thumbup1::thumbup1:

My granddaughter is a HUGE Harry Potter fan, always has one of the books with her at all times.

J. K. Rowling

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
J. K. Rowling
Born:31 July 1965 (age 41)
Yate, South Gloucestershire, EnglandOccupation:NovelistDebut works:Harry Potter and the Philosopher's StoneWebsite:http://www.jkrowling.comJoanne "Jo" Rowling OBE (born 31 July 1965[1]) is an English fiction writer who writes under the pen name J. K. Rowling.[2] Rowling is the author of the Harry Potter fantasy series, which has gained worldwide attention, won multiple awards, and sold over 325 million copies worldwide.[3] In February 2004, Forbes magazine estimated her fortune at £576 million (just over US$1 billion and still is at the same spot in 2007), making her the first person to become a US-dollar billionaire by writing books.[4] In 2006, Forbes named her the second richest female entertainer in the world, behind talk show host Oprah Winfrey.[5] Forbes also ranked Rowling as #48 on the 100 most powerful celebrities list of 2007.[6]

L

lurker

There was a signup in my center for 2 weeks. I had inquired about it as I would have asked for the 8 hours. How hard could it be to deliver singles books to resi's. Right. Being that I am in an extended center I asked if I was going getting my car out of my center or would we have to drive for me an extra 45 minutes to a larger center to pick up my car. They told me my building would be closed for saturday.

There was no way on Gods green earth that I was going to drive an extra 45 minutes and then have the possibility to "work as directed" in a much larger urban city.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'll be on vacation starting the 16th of the week so I'll be unable to work that Saturday. Oh well. I've only seen a few signatures on the bid so it should be interesting. Will the regular saturday guys be paid ground for this or will all the books be given to the full-timers that are forced to work?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
wow, pretty damn amazing. Someone thats homeless, then writes six books and is worth 1 billion. Im sure lots of money comes in from merchandise and movies also. I think Ive read that when she watch pitching the idea to other book publishers, some wernt interested....too bad for them now.

j4bucks

In my center sheet up for a week. Had pcm on it and was told 8hrs gaurenteed. I think only two others signed besides me.

rebel

The last HP book was also sat del and the basic service was used, so we del to the usps. I turned in a grievance on all that were del to the usps for sub contracting and won my grievance. This is why I also why I file on the basics I del to the usps evey 10 days. This has been in arbitration for a couple of years.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I just spoke with the FDX Express and Home Del guy in my area. They told that THEY were doing the Potter Books del also the weekend of the 21sr. They say they are ramping up with a huge crew to get those deliveries out that Saturday.