Harry Reid

diesel96

This idiot shouldn't get any woman's vote !!!! What a jerk!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...brand-senates-hottest-member/?test=latestnews

Oh, so you don't think I just use Fox, here's the CNN story....

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...gillibrand-the-hottest-member/?iref=allsearch

This isn't news, or relevant to any issues at hand.....Just like your name-calling fits....Reid, apparently referencing an article giving props to Senator Gillibrand.... Big Deal, Move on.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Reid says no hispanic could ever be a Republican.......this guy is a real gem!! With generalizations like his, we could say that everybody from Pahrump is 'touched' by the radioactive water....gee, that would include Heidi Fleiss....wonder if Reid thinks she's hot or hispanic ???

This isn't news, or relevant to any issues at hand.....Just like your name-calling fits....Reid, apparently referencing an article giving props to Senator Gillibrand.... Big Deal, Move on.
You are right, it isn't relevant to any issues at hand and the only reason it made the news is because it was a sexists comment. Gillibrand may have actually liked being demeaned in that manner, I don't know. I do know one thing, if it had been a republican that had made that statement, there would be cries for them to resign .
Your name calling fits are relevant? Just wondering.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
For Reid to be calling a fellow senator "hot" is pretty creepy, but I don't know that it qualifies as sexist. Just really creepy. Guy is a weirdo.

For Reid to be calling a fellow senator "hot" is pretty creepy, but I don't know that it qualifies as sexist. Just really creepy. Guy is a weirdo.
By the standards set in the past, anytime a man makes a comment about a woman's beauty, her figure or just about anything physical it is considered sexist. I'm not saying , I think it to be a sexist remark, but I do think it very ungentlemanly specially in public.
I still say that if it had been a repub that made the comment, they would have been hammered in the media the next day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I've always interpreted "sexist" to mean discriminating against or demeaning someone based on their gender (this applies to both men and women), which I think is also pretty close to the legal definition of sexism. ymmv.

I've always interpreted "sexist" to mean discriminating against or demeaning someone based on their gender (this applies to both men and women), which I think is also pretty close to the legal definition of sexism. ymmv.
I agree with your interpretation, but that wasn't the point. The point is the double standards used so much of the time. One person says this and it's no foul, the same words said by someone else it becomes a horrid statement that calls for castigation,

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I agree with your interpretation, but that wasn't the point. The point is the double standards used so much of the time. One person says this and it's no foul, the same words said by someone else it becomes a horrid statement that calls for castigation,
I guess I would say that when you think someone is using a double standard by deliberately misinterpreting a definition, the thing to do is point that out and correct them. I know the temptation is always to jump on the first opportunity to use that same double standard against the originator(s), but ultimately when you do that you legitimatize the use of the double standard. Then it just becomes the standard and the correct meaning gets lost.
Of course I'm the guy who still goes on a rant every time I see the word "tragedy" misused to mean "something bad" ( a daily occurrence)......

moreluck

golden ticket member
Help me, Jones. From Merriam-Webster, here's the 3 different takes on 'tragedy' #2 says it's a disastrous event...meaning "something bad".

Definition of TRAGEDY

a : a medieval narrative poem or tale typically describing the downfall of a great man b : a serious drama typically describing a conflict between the protagonist and a superior force (as destiny) and having a sorrowful or disastrous conclusion that elicits pity or terror c : the literary genre of tragic dramas

a : a disastrous event : calamity b : misfortune

: tragic quality or element

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Help me, Jones. From Merriam-Webster, here's the 3 different takes on 'tragedy' #2 says it's a disastrous event...meaning "something bad".

Definition of TRAGEDY

a : a medieval narrative poem or tale typically describing the downfall of a great man b : a serious drama typically describing a conflict between the protagonist and a superior force (as destiny) and having a sorrowful or disastrous conclusion that elicits pity or terror c : the literary genre of tragic dramas

a : a disastrous event : calamity b : misfortune

: tragic quality or element
#1 is the original meaning, #2 is what happened when it got dumbed down in the vernacular...

moreluck

golden ticket member
Oh, kind of like accepting the word "irregardless" just because it's in some dictionaries. I don't accept it and it hurts my ears when I hear it.

Also, what's with all the different pronunciations of words. When I was in grade school, we learned the word, homage and we pronounced it.....hom-edge. Today, they've gone all french with the word and are saying home-ajjj'. I can't think of another one right now. Makes me think those nuns were all wrong!

I guess I would say that when you think someone is using a double standard by deliberately misinterpreting a definition, the thing to do is point that out and correct them. I know the temptation is always to jump on the first opportunity to use that same double standard against the originator(s), but ultimately when you do that you legitimatize the use of the double standard. Then it just becomes the standard and the correct meaning gets lost.
Of course I'm the guy who still goes on a rant every time I see the word "tragedy" misused to mean "something bad" ( a daily occurrence)......
Tell me, just how do you feel I was deliberately misinterpreting a definition?
I said ,"You are right, it isn't relevant to any issues at hand and the only reason it made the news is because it was a sexists( wouldn't that be sexism?) comment. Gillibrand may have actually liked being demeaned (should have used insulted)in that manner, I don't know."
Seems to me the only gray area here is on opinion of, if this was demeaning(derogatory ) or not. Some say it is, others say it isn't. Obviously, based on Moreluck's OP on here she thought it to be demeaning(derogatory ).

hmmm, I have always took the word demean or demeaning as derogatory, it appears I was incorrect in using that word. My apologies.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Tell me, just how do you feel I was deliberately misinterpreting a definition?
I said ,"You are right, it isn't relevant to any issues at hand and the only reason it made the news is because it was a sexists( wouldn't that be sexism?) comment. Gillibrand may have actually liked being demeaned (should have used insulted)in that manner, I don't know."
Seems to me the only gray area here is on opinion of, if this was demeaning(derogatory ) or not. Some say it is, others say it isn't. Obviously, based on Moreluck's OP on here she thought it to be demeaning(derogatory ).

hmmm, I have always took the word demean or demeaning as derogatory, it appears I was incorrect in using that word. My apologies.
I wasn't accusing you of deliberately misinterpreting anything, I was speaking generally in response to this:
The point is the double standards used so much of the time. One person says this and it's no foul, the same words said by someone else it becomes a horrid statement that calls for castigation