Has anyone transferred to another center?

collegepreloader

Has anyone transferred to another center? A friend of mine would live in myrtle beach during the summer, but now we are both done with college and hes got a place down there permanently. I would love to live down there. I remember reading somewhere you loose your seniority, but I really don't care too much because I only have about a year working the pre-load. Just wondering how hard it is to actually do.

barnyard

KTM rider
The only way to transfer is if you are moving to another school. We have had 2 transfers in my center. Both moved to go to another school.

You might also try searching.

TB

JonFrum

CollegePreloader,

Here's the rules for an educational transfer . . .

National Master United Parcel Service Agreement
For the Period: December 19, 2007 through July 31, 2013
Article 22 -- Part-Time Employees
Section 6. Part-Time Employee Transfer
"Part-time employees who wish to transfer to another location for educational purposes may submit a written request to the Employer. If approved, the transfer shall be allowed subject to the following conditions:
A. A part-time opening exists at the desired location.
B. Employees must have attained seniority and been employed by the Employer for at least one (1) year.
C. Job Classification Seniority shall be end-tailed.
D. Company seniority shall be retained for the purpose of number of weeks of vacation, and number of holidays in accordance with the applicable Supplement at the new location.
E. Any expenses, including moving expenses associated with an approved transfer, shall be the responsibility of the employee."

If you can't arrange an educational transfer, the you may well have to quit and try to get rehired at the new building. Be sure to arrange both the quitting and the re-hireing in advance. Sometimes "quitters" are marked "do not re-hire", and sometimes the destination building isn't hireing at all, period. Best to get everything straight first.

herbigharo32

From what I learned, the best way to go is to arrange your resignation weeks in advance. The main rule of thumb is to make sure you will be down as "Rehire Status" on your personnel file. UPS typically does not rehire those who resign but exceptions are possible. So, having a letter of recommendation from your supervisor and HRM will go a long ways. Make sure the center you wish to be employed at is actually hiring or will be in the near future. Keep in mind, you will lose your health benefits, and any other accrued benefits along with seniority. Think of each hub as a separate employer; you will start as a new employee. If you been employed for less than several years, quitting then getting rehired is probably the best way to go.

If you are currently attending school, in the military, or have hardship circumstances, you may be able to transfer. This is a long shot though...

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Send in an application and get accepted to a school where you want to transfer. Sign up for a class in the fall if you have to. Drop the class after you get transferred or take it for fun and get reimbursed though the tuition assistance program.
Call your business agent or go to your HR person and find out exactly how to get transferred.
Its probably very easy like any other transfer. just sending in a form to the union and your district HR manager.
Never quit. Our steward here always tells the part time employees to do a hub transfer.

collegepreloader

Well I am going to try to do the educational transfer. I talked to my sup and I need to write a letter of intent and he was gonna get in contact with HR for me. I hope it all works out. Myrtle beach is just accepting applications for future openings, but I figure with alot of vacations coming up they will need to hire more people.

I made a school transfer From MS to AZ and HR told me nothing of lost of my buiding seniority. I have now been part time with this companey for 8 years. I have given UPS my twenty's and live from check to check.There are meny drivers that I have more company seniority than them but not building.So they get to make triple what I do and have put half as meny years in.It relly seems like disscrimination because I put 5 years in at different state.Last I checked 52 weeks is year in every state and a 50LB box weigh"s the same too.Is just me are is this wrong?

Overpaid Union Thug

I made a school transfer From MS to AZ and HR told me nothing of lost of my buiding seniority. I have now been part time with this companey for 8 years. I have given UPS my twenty's and live from check to check.There are meny drivers that I have more company seniority than them but not building.So they get to make triple what I do and have put half as meny years in.It relly seems like disscrimination because I put 5 years in at different state.Last I checked 52 weeks is year in every state and a 50LB box weigh"s the same too.Is just me are is this wrong?

The contract clearly states that you lose your seniority. It is "end tailed" to the seniority list of the building you transfer to. Happened to me too. My HR also reminded me of that fact though. I didn't care. I just wanted to be closer to home. It just didn't make since to drive by one UPS to go work at another. I ended up going full-time as a driver many years sooner though because I transferred from a hub (with an average wait of 10 years for full-time) to an extended center (with an average wait time of 5 years.

SKAGITDRIVER

I have transfered twice, each time to a more rural location. yes you lose your center senority but hey everyone is getting screwed with overtime so what the hell I am currently on the list for another transfer to a more rural setting again hopefully 2010 maybe it will happen . Then 3 1/2 years till retirement

barnyard

KTM rider
There are meny drivers that I have more company seniority than them but not building.

That is EXACTLY as it should be.

Otherwise, what would stop someone in Chicago from looking over seniority lists in buildings in vacationland (Michigan, Wisconsin, etc), determining when someone will retire and transfer to that center, effectively stealing a position from the local guy that was waiting for that job.

I am very glad that UPS makes transfers difficult.

TB

barnyard

KTM rider
Wisconsin is vacationland? I'm sorry, but the thought of vacationing in Green Bay in mid Janaury just does not appeal to me.:happy2:

From May till September, it is filled with FIBs.

The same thing could happen in NY. Person gets a PT gig in New Jersey. No FT openings for a long time. Scans seniority lists and sees a center in upstate NY with a bunch due to retire. Scanning the PT seniority list, sees he/she could transfer and be at or near the top of the list. Transfers and screws the other people out of a FT job.

TB

UnconTROLLed

perfection
From May till September, it is filled with FIBs.

The same thing could happen in NY. Person gets a PT gig in New Jersey. No FT openings for a long time. Scans seniority lists and sees a center in upstate NY with a bunch due to retire. Scanning the PT seniority list, sees he/she could transfer and be at or near the top of the list. Transfers and screws the other people out of a FT job.

TB

How is that screwing people out of a job? When the bottom line is that person transferring has been screwed all along and people with 1/3 the seniority in another building are FT prior to them?