Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building?

JE78

Hi, this is my first post here. I've been with UPS for 10 years, 6 years inside and 4 years as a driver, I'm currently a full-time driver and have been for the last 2 years. I have my own route but the last few years the job has taken a toll on me. I hate the job to put it bluntly. The center I work out of in my opinion is nothing but a joke, in the past month alone there have been over 300 grievances filed against UPS for over 9.5 dispatches. I dread going to work every day and i'm at the point where I just want to stop driving. I talked to my HR person and my district manager in the last month and was told it wasn't possible to go back to being a part-time employee because when I became full-time I was a UPS investment and they don't want to loose that investment. I don't know if I really buy that excuse or not but as of last week I was about to put in my 2 week notice and head over to FedEx and put in an application to work inside the building. Yes thats how bad things are that i'm thinking of going to FedEx.

If anyone has any information on this subject it would be greatly appreciated. I'm all ears. Thanks.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

Nobody should be that unhappy. Don't be disappointed when every job turns out to be crappy and you end up in a rut. Don't stay where you don't want to be. It's not fair to you or your employer.

JE78

Re: Has anyone went from a full-time driver back to part-time working in the building

Thanks, I would like to stay with UPS on a part-time basis working inside the building just not as a driver.

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

From your post I can tell that you're a guy who has been suffering from dizziness and blackouts. You should talk to your doctor.

PACNW

I dont know all the details, but I know a girl that went back to p/t. It was several years ago. She was getting hammered everyday and she starting coming in and having serious anxiety attacks when she saw her car. Eventually she worked with her doctor and UPS and they agreed to let her go back to p/t.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!

I have never seen it in my 22 years. It would have to be an extreme circumstance for the company to allow that. Have you considered another full time job? Like a 22.3 inside job?

trickpony1

Acute occupational anxiety can be debilitating.

JE78

Thanks for responses. I do have alot of anxiety when it comes to the job, especially before and when I get to work. Last week I actually got sick before I left my house because I was thinking about how hot it was and it was wednesday the busiest day of the week, how it was a new route and then thing I know...yack! When I get to work my heart start racing, I start sweating like crazy heavy breathing, alot of heartburn too. I eat Tums all the time. The nights before work are the worst, I sit around looking at the clock just thinking of how bad the next day will be. A good example is right now my something in my ear is twitching and it driving me crazy.

Grgrcr88 I have thought of the 22.3 job and would gladly do it but there are only a few spots in my center and guys with alot more seniority have them so they won't be coming up anytime soon.

I dont know all the details, but I know a girl that went back to p/t. It was several years ago. She was getting hammered everyday and she starting coming in and having serious anxiety attacks when she saw her car. Eventually she worked with her doctor and UPS and they agreed to let her go back to p/t.

Do you remember if she was full-time? We had a guy that got his full time status the same time I did, a few months later he was on some meds for allergies and I guess it didn't allow him to drive because he was back working inside the building.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

It isn't going to happen UPS has a one way career path. If it didn't you would have 60 years people working the preload and local sort for $30 dollars and hour.

JE78

It isn't going to happen UPS has a one way career path. If it didn't you would have 60 years people working the preload and local sort for $30 dollars and hour.

To be making $30/hr you need need to be full-time, IE: 40hr+ work weeks, I want to go back to part time status. Before I went full time I was making $17.50 as an inside rate so I could just got back to that.

As far as anxiety I have plenty of it, I'm always on edge, the night before work and when I get to work and 90% of the time while i'm at work. I see my truck and my heart starts racing, I start sweating and I get that uneasy feeling. I hate driving in the snow so during the peak and winter months i'm a freaking wreck. Last week I got myself so worked up I ended up throwing up before I left my house. Would that qualify as occupational anxiety? I don't know what to do but I need to do something.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To be making $30/hr you need need to be full-time, IE: 40hr+ work weeks, I want to go back to part time status. Before I went full time I was making $17.50 as an inside rate so I could just got back to that.

As far as anxiety I have plenty of it, I'm always on edge, the night before work and when I get to work and 90% of the time while i'm at work. I see my truck and my heart starts racing, I start sweating and I get that uneasy feeling. I hate driving in the snow so during the peak and winter months i'm a freaking wreck. Last week I got myself so worked up I ended up throwing up before I left my house. Would that qualify as occupational anxiety? I don't know what to do but I need to do something.

Your first line is not necessarily true. Your pay rate depends upon what contract you were hired under. We have a PTer in my center who is making $28/hr.

Have you told HR that you are willing to accept a pay cut to go back to PT? And they still said no? Why couldn't they let you go back to PT and let the next in line PTer go driving? However, I would think that if you do this you would have to sign something to the effect that the move would be permanent and that you would waive any future opportunities to drive again. Is this something that you would be willing to do??

If your anxiety is to the point to where you think that you may be a liability while on road it may be time to sit down with a medical professional.

JE78

Your first line is not necessarily true. Your pay rate depends upon what contract you were hired under. We have a PTer in my center who is making $28/hr.

Have you told HR that you are willing to accept a pay cut to go back to PT? And they still said no? Why couldn't they let you go back to PT and let the next in line PTer go driving? However, I would think that if you do this you would have to sign something to the effect that the move would be permanent and that you would waive any future opportunities to drive again. Is this something that you would be willing to do??

If your anxiety is to the point to where you think that you may be a liability while on road it may be time to sit down with a medical professional.

I asked HR and my boss if I could go back working in the building and was told no, they said its never happened but I never said anything about a pay cut but I would be willing to do whatever to not be a UPS driver anymore including forfitting driving opportunity's.

As for my anxiety I'd love to sit down with a doctor but as many of you know when your a driver its hard to get days off in the summer, and the weekends most doctors aren't even in the office.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Your first line is not necessarily true. Your pay rate depends upon what contract you were hired under. We have a PTer in my center who is making $28/hr.Have you told HR that you are willing to accept a pay cut to go back to PT? And they still said no? Why couldn't they let you go back to PT and let the next in line PTer go driving? However, I would think that if you do this you would have to sign something to the effect that the move would be permanent and that you would waive any future opportunities to drive again. Is this something that you would be willing to do??If your anxiety is to the point to where you think that you may be a liability while on road it may be time to sit down with a medical professional.
In our area, if you want to go back, you have to quit and be re-hired.

JE78

5 years ago I was thinking of moving to NC and asked if I could transfer and they told me the same thing. They said I would keep my pay rate but loose my seniority

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

5 years ago I was thinking of moving to NC and asked if I could transfer and they told me the same thing. They said I would keep my pay rate but loose my seniority

You would lose you building seniority, not company seniority. If you no longer wish to drive this may be the best option for you.

JE78

You would lose you building seniority, not company seniority. If you no longer wish to drive this may be the best option for you.

Whats that? Quit and be rehired or move to a different center?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Whats that? Quit and be rehired or move to a different center?

This is getting in to an area that I am not that familiar with so I will withhold comment. Hopefully someone more familiar with this will jump in and help you out. Good luck to you. Dave.

JE78

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the help.

QKRSTKR

Here too. Only seen it once. Person was a full-time driver and quit to work part-time again. Had to go back to starting pt rate of 8.50 per hr. U really sure you want to give up a $30 hr. job in a bad economy. 1 out of 9 people still not working in the Obamanomics economy.

There only boxes. One stop @ a time. They will come off the truck.

Call off if you need to go to the doctor. I would do this before I decided to quit. If you hate the job this much, it shouldn't be to hard. Maybe you can get on disability. Maybe doc. can help you through the problem.

I wish you luck.

JE78

As bad as it sound I would go back to $8.50, I was up to $17 in 5 years, I know not as much as $30 but i'm only making $21 now.

I know, "there only boxes" but when you have 300+ on your truck, you can't see though your truck, its very overwhelming, I 'm getting anxious right now just thinking about it. The problem with calling off is I burned though all my personal/sick days at the beginning of the year when my son was sick so if I call up now management turns it into a big deal usually resulting in me not getting the day off.